• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possibly a Dumb qusetion but I'll ask anyway!

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might have to bear with me on this question :)

I'm considering buying in Harborside but can't decide on which season to go for. At the moment I plan to use March/April for Maui and I currently go to Aruba for the first weeks of December. On this information alone it would seem obvious that I should be considering Gold or Silver for Harborside but.... I currently do not have a location which allows me to visit over Christmas and New year (should I wish to go at thet time of the year). My question is this, am I mad for considering purchasing a platinum week simply so that I can use it over Christmas should I ever want to but knowing full well that I will probably exchange it for gold season 3 out of 4 years?

Thanks for the help...I have managed to change my mind on this about 20 times already :wall:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Harborside over the Christmas holidays with a stanard platinum can be challenging. This is a specialty time of year and weeks 51-52 are generally sold that way at a premium if you can get them.

We called at 12 months out and basically went through all kinds of hoops to get New Years week-great fun though- and crowded. Two days after new years half the people were gone.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check all the resale sites and see what you can get. You'll save alot of money.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might have to bear with me on this question :)

I'm considering buying in Harborside but can't decide on which season to go for. At the moment I plan to use March/April for Maui and I currently go to Aruba for the first weeks of December. On this information alone it would seem obvious that I should be considering Gold or Silver for Harborside but.... I currently do not have a location which allows me to visit over Christmas and New year (should I wish to go at thet time of the year). My question is this, am I mad for considering purchasing a platinum week simply so that I can use it over Christmas should I ever want to but knowing full well that I will probably exchange it for gold season 3 out of 4 years?

Thanks for the help...I have managed to change my mind on this about 20 times already :wall:
If you plan on going during gold season 3 out of 4 years then thats the season you should buy.If you buy the plat Xmas week it will be hard to change to gold season this is a very difficult time to book Harborside you would be competing with all of SVN at 8 months out.The other possiblity would be is to Direct trade with gold week owners but this is not a equal trade.

Docklander

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having looked around the various websites it seems that weeks 51 & 52 command very high rental premiums and so, unlike most timeshare propositions, these weeks would at least be guaranteed to cover m/f + a bit more should I encounter the worst case scenario and I couldn't exchange for weeks that I want (assuming I chose not to go over Christmas and NY). On this basis wouldn't it make more sense to buy wks 51 & 52?

Kazakie

TUG Member
Reaction score
What if

Are you purchasing to occupy or rent?

If you're looking to occupy, own when you usually go, and if you want another season then plan on trading/renting.

If you plan to rent, then you could justify getting the highest value week and renting it every year in hopes it would more than pay for a shoulder season visit.

To own platinum week and only use it 1 of 4 years and trade down the other 3 isn't a good use of capital (not that most timeshares are a good use of capital).

Run some numbers for "what if" and see what they look like.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
FYI--one of my Harborside weeks is week 52--corner one bedroom--I rented it on TUG for $3K two years ago and it covered my maintenance fee for both my platinum units--I bought it to use then and did pay a premium and the only reason I rented it is because that one year it included Christmas day when I wanted to be home--if you plan to go in summer buy that season==otherwise as the other poster said you have to compete with all other SVO owners to get in at that time--even home resort platinum has to compete for a lower season!