• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai - how early to arrive at the airport with a checked bag?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We have our daughter and SIL with us and they have a checked bag. How soon should they be at airport to check a bag and still make their flight. My guess is a minimum of 2 hours but they’re thinking closer to 1 hour.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Do they have TSA precheck? What does the airline/airport recommend?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Pre-check yes. I’ve learned airport recommendations aren’t always accurate, thus why I’m asking the experts here on TUG. Those that go, know

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
That airport is always crowded. We always try and get there 2 hours ahead. TSA Precheck does help, but the delays can depend on how many workers showed up that day and if all the computers are up. You can download the MyTSA app to get typical delay times, but I wouldn't count on it.

Of course if you want to spend extra time in Kauai, get there less than an hour ahead and you might miss your flight. :cool:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Fortunately, there's usually no delay at the Agricultural suitcase scan stations.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would say a minimum of one hour before boarding. Remember boarding can start 30-40 minutes prior to flight time. Doors close 10 minutes prior to flight time. An hour prior to flight time wouldn't cut it for me at any airport.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We ways go at least an hour before the boarding starts.🤙🏻

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
We have our daughter and SIL with us and they have a checked bag. How soon should they be at airport to check a bag and still make their flight. My guess is a minimum of 2 hours but they’re thinking closer to 1 hour.
Aloha,
We returned from Kauai 3 days ago. We have TSA precheck & elite aisle treatment from Alaska Airlines. It took close to 10 minutes from arrival at airport to drop off of our tagged luggage. Getting checked in at TSA took almost 10 minutes but the electronic inspection machine was malfunctioning and that took a long time to get through - maybe 20+ minutes. Walking from there to the aircraft gate is less than 5 minutes. So - 1 hour would have just worked for us with the problems we experienced. We've experienced worse waits. So - on average 1 hour might be enough. To paraphrase Nassim Nicholas Taleb (author of Black Swan and Antifragile among other books), never cross a river if it is on average 4 feet deep.
I recommend closer to 2 hours which is what we do even with our priority privileges.
Jack

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
On Facebook there are two posters who work for the airlines and who regularly post things like wait times, out-of-order security equipment, etc. They were very active during the Covid pandemic. One FB identity is "Traveling with Aloha Maui" and the other one is "Troydon Tomooka". The OP should contact them on FB and ask their question.

Me? I'd arrive 2 hours in advance. You've got a lot of good advice. Your daughter and SIL probably have at least a 70 or 80 percent chance that they'll make their flight and only a 20 to 30% chance that they won't.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I mentioned this thread to my wife. She said to go "earlier than 2 hours" and have a drink in the bar while you are peacefully waiting for your flight.

mchct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this thread to my wife. She said to go "earlier than 2 hours" and have a drink in the bar while you are peacefully waiting for your flight.
I agree with the arriving to check in at least 2 hour minimum for domestic and at least 3 hours for international flights.

But on our last trip, we cut it way too close and barely made the checked bag cut off time! I don't know if we're just getting too lazy or lax when we travel, but we're finalizing packing the night before departure. And the last trip was the "comedy of errors" nightmare - we did plan to leave the house early enough or by 1:30-2:30 for the drive up to LAX (1 hour without traffic or up to 2 with traffic) to check in and drop off checked luggage by or before 4:30 pm and just hang out in the club lounge until boarding for the 6:30 flight.

We're usually pretty good about leaving enough time to check in and relax at an airline lounge for a while before heading to the boarding gate right before boarding starts. We also try to travel light and can get away with a personal bag and carry on each. But since we were also stopping in Tokyo, our daughter wanted us to bring more of her stuff (all that checked luggage!) for her since he and whoever is on his itinerary is allowed two checked bags each. Yes, the parents have become luggage mules!

However I didn't realize that husband did not recharge the EV rental car before we left-I thought he had "topped" off the EV charge after he picked up the rental which would have been enough when returning the rental. So he wanted to recharge at some EV charging locations towards LAX before he returned the one way rental to avoid the "refueling/recharging" fee. And of course since we're not familiar with exactly where the EV charging stations up in that area are, we wasted a lot of time driving through parking lots to find the EV chargers only to find them occupied or broken... He finally found the section with several available EV chargers and of course unfortunately hooks up to the one that isn't working. He spends more time calling and talking to the EV rep before they determine that the charger isn't working and to try another one.

This all would have been fine, but we didn't leave the house at the planned time of 1:30-2:30 but more like 3:30. Fortunately we were able to use the carpool HOV lanes because traffic was heavy that afternoon and made it near the airport by 4:30. We wasted 20 minutes on the chargers and he figured we just better get up to the airport since he had to return the rental car and check in before the cutoff for luggage. So he dropped me at the airline terminal curb and I pushed in four large suitcases. At least he has Premier status, so I was able to check in with that and get the luggage checked in (right before the cutoff time!) and tagged and headed for the gate to board. Also fortunate that the TSA pre-check line was open and short so that saved me a few more minutes because they were already boarding groups 3 or 4. My boarding pass had group 1 or whatever 1K's get, so I went to the desk and showed the gate agent my boarding pass and asked if I could board in the empty premier line, which she confirmed. I kind of got the stink eye look from the passengers waiting in the other groups, probably thinking I jumped the line.

Husband was also lucky that the rental car shuttle bus was leaving right after he dropped off the rental, so he got back to the terminal quickly and was one of the last persons to board. Hopefully, he (or we!) learned our lesson and won't procrastinate as much.

Unless you're in Japan where ANA or United start check in precisely at the 3 hour mark and not any earlier! So we learned unless we have business to take care of or something to do at Haneda or Narita, there's no use to arriving too early. But still, the line to check in starts forming at least 3.5 or 4 hours ahead so unless you have first class tickets or status you might want to show up a little earlier than 3 hours. And some of the LCC (Low Cost Carrier) airlines in SE Asia will state the last boarding or check in cutoff time, so check your tickets so you aren't denied boarding.

Anyways, 2 hours for domestic and 3 hours for international is less stressful for us!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
FWIW I thought I’d follow up to let everyone know how it went. We arrived 2 hours early. It was way more than enough time. Still, I’d rather be early than late. I hate running for a gate because we got hung up in line behind an inexperienced flyer who’s holding up the line in an argument with the tsa agents