• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gatlinburg,TN-First Time Visit (summer)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently, we are rounding out our 2024 summer plans with a 7-9 day visit, and it has come down to two locations, Gatlinburg and Honolulu. We have been to Oahu many times but have not stayed in Honolulu for more than three days. This Honolulu visit would be discovering the city, maybe without a car (or a car for just 2-3 days). We have never been to Tennessee. Any suggestions on Gatlinburg for a first timer ? This trip will start with a flight into Nashville - and driving the 4'ish hours to Gatlinburg. Of course, I'd like to see the Smoky Mountains - pictures have been ingrained in my mind for years. What else to consider?

TY !

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Try to arrive and leave the Gatlinburg area mid week. Weekend traffic is horrendous in and out of Gatlinburg.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try to arrive and leave the Gatlinburg area mid week. Weekend traffic is horrendous in and out of Gatlinburg.
TY.
Thinking of arriving Monday after 5pm and departing Wednesday before 11AM according to flights we are looking at

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
We went to Gatlinburg in 2022 ~ WONDERFUL Vacation. We stayed at Laurel Point Resort - couldn't ask for better! Outside of the hustle & bustle, (and traffic), but only minutes away. Only a few short minutes to GSNP too.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge (the sister community adjacent to Gatlinburg, 7 miles away) https://maps.app.goo.gl/gsa6nrNASgrcMD4a7
could be considered the "Myrtle Beach" of the mountains.
Between the two there are literally hundreds of stores, shops, restaurants, big-time shows, go-cart tracks, amusement parks,
and one of the very largest & best Christmas shops anywhere. The two places are completely different, yet complementary.
Gatlinburg is a typical mountain tourist town, whereas Pigeon Forge is a long main drag where all the "activity" is lined up along the roadside.
There are a few timeshares there, so look them up and decide. We usually just rent something--- even a hotel, condo, or cabin----
so the range and costs can be quite different. Both towns stay extremely crowded during peak times, and busy even in off-peak times.
We have been going to this destination area annually for 30+ years, and Fall wouldn't be the same without it. It's a 4+ hour drive for us, but very worth it.
It's not a glamorous place like you're probably used to, and the accommodations don't compare
to a Marriott timeshare (except for some fantastic condo or cabin rentals, but it's simply plain fun.
IMHO, I cringe at a stay in Honolulu compared to the atmosphere in Gatlinburg/PF.

(Keep in mind, it will be HOT in TN at that time, which does make a difference. We never go in summer, and would highly recommend Fall.
You could do both and arrange the Tennessee trip for Fall, just to experience what it's all about while enjoying the great temperatures....
definitely mid to late October.
BTW, I would also plan a stay in Asheville NC for the same trip east....You would love that.
The Biltmore House alone is something everyone should see......better than any castle in Europe, and Asheville is a great city.

Special note: And if you have time, visit the Omni Grove Park Inn on the other side of town, up on the mountain.
Maybe a 10-minute drive, but very easy, and you'll see why I recommend it only after entering the place. It's breathtaking. Nothing like it.
It's a very old stone hotel, but has been modernized without losing the amazing charm.
Look it up and read about it----9 or 10 US presidents have stayed there, as well as dozens of Hollywood actors. (Many photos are on the walls in the corridors!)
Numerous famed authors stayed there, too, and the stories are interesting. Also famous inventors and financial moguls, and a handful of unique people like Houdini.
You'll be amazed at how beautiful the place is---it's like a city inside, you may get lost.
But it overlooks the gorgeous valley with the city of Asheville seen a few miles away.
There are several restaurants inside (one is among the very few AAA Four Diamond restaurants in the south),
and the amazing bar area extends out onto a huge veranda which has great views.
The decor is Craftsman, and has unique Stickley furniture---a low-key, casual environment which reeks of luxury in a subtle way.
It's expensive, especially following the pandemic, but actually it's our most favorite place anywhere on the planet, including all our timeshares and any hotel at which we've stayed. We try to go annually, especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas....the decorations are wonderful, and charm overwhelming. It's definitely special.
It's worth spending half a day just hanging out there. There's also a very nice golf course on site, a Donald Ross-designed course.
And one of the most gorgeous spas anywhere----an underground grotto----see the pictures online---amazing.
The fireplaces at each end of the Great Hall are huge, and burn 6' logs....almost tall enough for a man to walk into. There are rocking chairs that surround the fireplaces, and visitors/guests sit there and just enjoy for hours. It has a real charm seldom seen anywhere else.
Online pictures are amazing---I even posted many pics at some point here on TUG.
Two to three nights there, coupled with a visit to the Biltmore House and the Biltmore Village of shops and cafes just outside the estate,
would be quite a memorable trip, and guaranteed more special than many of the great places we all visit all the time with our timeshares.)

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Currently, we are rounding out our 2024 summer plans with a 7-9 day visit, and it has come down to two locations, Gatlinburg and Honolulu. We have been to Oahu many times but have not stayed in Honolulu for more than three days. This Honolulu visit would be discovering the city, maybe without a car (or a car for just 2-3 days). We have never been to Tennessee. Any suggestions on Gatlinburg for a first timer ? This trip will start with a flight into Nashville - and driving the 4'ish hours to Gatlinburg. Of course, I'd like to see the Smoky Mountains - pictures have been ingrained in my mind for years. What else to consider?

TY !
Funny, we're doing the same itinerary this week: Nashville for a few days then drive to Gatlinburg for a week's timeshare stay. I had to postpone a May trip, so decided to go in November to catch the early Dollywood Christmas season. We know it'll be colder , probably rainy a portion of the days. Hope to go to the main sights , e.g. Cades Cove in SMNP.

I like arts &crafts, so interested in what Gatlinburg/PG has to offer. Also the country, southern foods are appealing.

Will report back later.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Funny, we're doing the same itinerary this week: Nashville for a few days then drive to Gatlinburg for a week's timeshare stay. I had to postpone a May trip, so decided to go in November to catch the early Dollywood Christmas season. We know it'll be colder , probably rainy a portion of the days. Hope to go to the main sights , e.g. Cades Cove in SMNP.

I like arts &crafts, so interested in what Gatlinburg/PG has to offer. Also the country, southern foods are appealing.

Will report back later.
Don't forget to visit the The Christmas Place in Pigeon Forge while in the area....it's a highlight, and many people spend a couple of hours in there.
The Tanger Outlet Mall is huge and also fun.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wyndham also has a few choices in Sevierville. I kind of joking referred to the area as Red Neck Disney, not to offend but as a way of trying to describe the vibe.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge (the sister community adjacent to Gatlinburg, 7 miles away) https://maps.app.goo.gl/gsa6nrNASgrcMD4a7
could be considered the "Myrtle Beach" of the mountains.
IMHO, I cringe at a stay in Honolulu compared to the atmosphere in Gatlinburg/PF.

(Keep in mind, it will be hot in TN at that time, which does make a difference. We never go in summer, and would highly recommend Fall.
You could do both and arrange the Tennessee trip for Fall, just to experience what it's all about while enjoying the great temperatures....
definitely mid to late October.
BTW, I would also plan a stay in Asheville NC for the same trip east....You would love that.
The Biltmore House alone is something everyone should see......better than any castle in Europe, and Asheville is a great city.)
If we go, it will be at Bent Creek Golf Village east of town (part of OUR HVC ownership).

TY for the input/ideas, it is a nice contrast to all the negatives I've been reading on Reddit (corny, tacky disgusting, tourist trap, etc), and coming from a fellow TUG / MVC owner, it means a lot.

We are at the moment still tied to the school schedule (DW's work) so a trip to the Eastern part of the US won't work for us Sep & Oct.

The Biltmore House, DW would love that. Maybe we can save for our Carolinas trip! I'll take a look, though to see if we can fit that in.

Life is about experiences, so a Honolulu live-like-locals visit wouldn't be that bad, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: jme

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham also has a few choices in Sevierville. I kind of joking referred to the area as Red Neck Disney, not to offend but as a way of trying to describe the vibe.
Lol how exactly do you describe Red Neck Disney

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Smoky Mountains
This past May I flew down to FL and then drove my daughter home from college back to the Midwest. We took "the longer route" so we could drive through The Smoky Mountains. I'd never been to TN, Kentucky, etc. It was a really beautiful drive. I'm jealous of your trip. Have fun! And give my love to Dolly if you see her.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Lol how exactly do you describe Red Neck Disney
It's kinda like Orlando, where there are lots of tacky tourist shops (T-shirts, shells etc) and attractions (Wonderworks, you know that upside down building) but is it like you are in the Frontier land. You can go to a Lumberjack show, any number of country variety dinner shows (Dolly Parton's Stampede, Pirates Voyage, and Hatfield and MacCoys etc), Entertainment shows like Magic show, Comedy Barn etc, Museums like Titanic, Alcatraz, Biblical times and even a Wax place. And then there is the outdoor and water and amusementparks, that have a specific country flair.

So it is a very country specific flavored Disney / Orlando vibe, but up in the Smoky Mountains.

Last edited:

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we go, it will be at Bent Creek Golf Village east of town (part of OUR HVC ownership).

TY for the input/ideas, it is a nice contrast to all the negatives I've been reading on Reddit (corny, tacky disgusting, tourist trap, etc), and coming from a fellow TUG / MVC owner, it means a lot.

We are at the moment still tied to the school schedule (DW's work) so a trip to the Eastern part of the US won't work for us Sep & Oct.

The Biltmore House, DW would love that. Maybe we can save for our Carolinas trip! I'll take a look, though to see if we can fit that in.

Life is about experiences, so a Honolulu live-like-locals visit wouldn't be that bad, right?
Traffic in the summer can be a real bear. On the bright side, Bent Creek is located far enough away that you can take the back roads and avoid a lot of traffic if going to Dolly Wood or Pigeon Forge. (The ladies working the front desk can give you directions.) A few thoughts on other things to do if you don't mind driving a bit...

First, I live in northeast TN so I'm biased, but I would try to get a flight into Knoxville, Tri-cities, or Asheville. The drive to Gatlinburg will be much prettier than the LONG drive from Nashville! :) Seriously check the prices of the smaller & closer airports. Sometimes they are cheaper. And, if you fly into Asheville, you might be able to visit Biltmore Estate, Grandfather Mountain, and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway before going to Gatlinburg.

Second, some things to consider that aren't necessarily in Gatlinburg, but are worthy of a drive if you have the time...

Andrew Johnson's homeplace in Greenville, TN (+/- 1 hr drive) https://www.nps.gov/anjo/planyourvisit/index.htm
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in Bryson, NC (+/- 1.5 hr drive) www.gsmr.com
Cherokee, NC (traffic might be a pain this time of year.)
Barter Theatre in Abingdon, VA (+/- 2 hr drive) https://bartertheatre.com

There is tons more to do, but I'm drawing a blank. This stuff is so close to home (been there, done that!) that it is easy to overlook.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
We stayed in Sevierville in summer 2022 and the week we were there was crazy hot and humid, close to 100 with the humidity every day. I described the area as an East Coast Beach boardwalk town on steroids without the beach and ocean. I think it was our 3rd visit over about a 12 year period and my husband said that it will be at least another 10 years before he is ready to go back. Great Smoky park in the early AM was a delight.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
It kinda like Orlando, where there are lots of tacky tourist shops (T-shirts, shells etc) and attractions (Wonderworks, you know that upside down building) but is it like you are in the Frontier land. You can go to a Lumberjack show, any number of country variety dinner showes (Dolly Partons Stampede, Pirates Voyage, and Hatfield and MacCoys etc), Entertainment shows Magic show, Comedy Barn etc, museums like Titanic, Alcatraz, Biblical times and even a Wax And then there is the outdoor and water and assumements parks that have a specific country flair.

So it is a very country specific flavored Disney / Orlando vibe, but up in the Smoky Mountains.
Oh OK, that's total Red Neck Disney

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Traffic in the summer can be a real bear. On the bright side, Bent Creek is located far enough away that you can take the back roads and avoid a lot of traffic if going to Dolly Wood or Pigeon Forge. (The ladies working the front desk can give you directions.) A few thoughts on other things to do if you don't mind driving a bit...

First, I live in northeast TN so I'm biased, but I would try to get a flight into Knoxville, Tri-cities, or Asheville. The drive to Gatlinburg will be much prettier than the LONG drive from Nashville! :) Seriously check the prices of the smaller & closer airports. Sometimes they are cheaper. And, if you fly into Asheville, you might be able to visit Biltmore Estate, Grandfather Mountain, and/or the Blue Ridge Parkway before going to Gatlinburg.

Second, some things to consider that aren't necessarily in Gatlinburg, but are worthy of a drive if you have the time...

Andrew Johnson's homeplace in Greenville, TN (+/- 1 hr drive) https://www.nps.gov/anjo/planyourvisit/index.htm
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in Bryson, NC (+/- 1.5 hr drive) www.gsmr.com
Cherokee, NC (traffic might be a pain this time of year.)
Barter Theatre in Abingdon, VA (+/- 2 hr drive) https://bartertheatre.com

There is tons more to do, but I'm drawing a blank. This stuff is so close to home (been there, done that!) that it is easy to overlook.
TY TY for the suggestions. Exactly what I am looking for
We may do a day drive from Gatlingburg to Asheville to see Biltmore Estate (maybe spend a night?). Nashville was the closest Southwest airport and I'd like to do a quick drive through of possible. But I'll look at other airports closer to Gatlingburg like you suggested

Reactions: jme

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we went, we did the GSRR out of Bryson City too ~ Great day!! We were there the last week of August into Labor Day w/e. weather was warm ~ not hot or humid.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We may do a day drive from Gatlingburg to Asheville to see Biltmore Estate (maybe spend a night?). Nashville was the closest Southwest airport and I'd like to do a quick drive through of possible. But I'll look at other airports closer to Gatlingburg like you suggested

If and when you visit Asheville to see the incredible Biltmore House, and have the time.............

.....also visit the Omni Grove Park Inn on the other side of town, up on the mountain.
Maybe a 10-minute drive, but very easy, and you'll see why I recommend it only after entering the place. It's breathtaking. Nothing like it.
It's a very old stone hotel, but has been modernized without losing the amazing charm.
Look it up and read about it----9 or 10 US presidents have stayed there, as well as dozens of Hollywood actors. (Many photos are on the walls in the corridors!)
Numerous famed authors stayed there, too, and the stories are interesting. Also famous inventors and financial moguls, and a handful of unique people like Houdini.
You'll be amazed at how beautiful the place is---it's like a city inside, you may get lost.
But it overlooks the gorgeous valley with the city of Asheville seen a few miles away.
There are several restaurants inside (one is among the very few AAA Four Diamond restaurants in the south),
and the amazing bar area extends out onto a huge veranda which has great views.
The decor is Craftsman, and has unique Stickley furniture---a low-key, casual environment which reeks of luxury in a subtle way.
It's expensive, especially following the pandemic, but actually it's our most favorite place anywhere on the planet, including all our timeshares and any hotel at which we've stayed. We try to go annually, especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas....the decorations are wonderful, and charm overwhelming. It's definitely special.
It's worth spending half a day just hanging out there. There's also a very nice golf course on site, a Donald Ross-designed course.
And one of the most gorgeous spas anywhere----an underground grotto----see the pictures online---amazing.
The fireplaces at each end of the Great Hall are huge, and burn 6' logs....almost tall enough for a man to walk into. There are rocking chairs that surround the fireplaces, and visitors/guests sit there and just enjoy for hours. It has a real charm seldom seen anywhere else.
Online pictures are amazing---I even posted many pics at some point here on TUG.
Two to three nights there, coupled with a visit to the Biltmore House and the Biltmore Village of shops and cafes just outside the estate,
would be quite a memorable trip, and guaranteed more special than many of the great places we all visit all the time with our timeshares.)

PHOTOS:

1. https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/asheville-grove-park

2. https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/asheville-grove-park/property-details/gallery
Click on link, then click on the first photo below the word "RESORT" and proceed with arrows........you'll enjoy this.

Last edited:

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we went, we did the GSRR out of Bryson City too ~ Great day!! We were there the last week of August into Labor Day w/e. weather was warm ~ not hot or humid.

Just for comparison, we were in So. CA this year in mid - Sept., It was HOT there - lots cooler in TN!!

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Unfortunately, fares out of the Knoxville airport are some of the highest in the nation. We live half an hour from TYS, but drive to Nashville to fly when the whole family is traveling. Not only does that give us Southwest as an option, the fares for other airlines are much cheaper from BNA as well.

Sheila

gravityrules

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MROP
Google maps shows about 50 minutes longer driving from Atlanta airport to Gatlinburg through the mountains than driving from the Nashville airport to Gatlinburg ( 4hrs 20min vs 3 hrs 30min). Of course those times are now, in the off-season. It's also a more scenic drive coming from Atlanta.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
We stayed in that area for a few days about 20 years ago and have no desire to return. Our trip included a timeshare tour in Gatlinburg and it had small units, limited parking and few if any amenities.