• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First time reserving to rent out at home resort

shannonlyon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been a timeshare owner for 10 years now but have always deposited and exchanged through II. Im hoping to reserve half of my lock off and rent through redweek to help with maintenance fee cost, while depositing/exchanging the other side with II.
I was getting ready to reserve through Vistana but I see that you have to enter guest name and under terms and conditions it says renting a reservation is a violation.
I know this is the case with Interval but I thought we were able to rent out our reservation if booked a home resort.
Appreciate any guidance!

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Hi all,
I have been a timeshare owner for 10 years now but have always deposited and exchanged through II. Im hoping to reserve half of my lock off and rent through redweek to help with maintenance fee cost, while depositing/exchanging the other side with II.
I was getting ready to reserve through Vistana but I see that you have to enter guest name and under terms and conditions it says renting a reservation is a violation.
I know this is the case with Interval but I thought we were able to rent out our reservation if booked a home resort.
Appreciate any guidance!
Here's why you saw that notice when you booked...

Your Vistana-sanctioned right to rent is determined by what you own vs what you book to rent out. If you own a deeded week 2 bedroom lockoff at a resort in a particular season (which is sounds like you do) and book at stay in that full unit during that season for a week stay, renting that reservation is permitted as you booked your exact home resort ownership usage.

If you do a reservation for your home resort that isn't exactly what you own (out of season/different unit size/different length of stay), those bookings are only allowed 8 months or less before check in date during the Network Float period and require the use of StarOptions and by the terms and conditions of the VSN, StarOption reservations are not allowed to be rented. This is because by booking something other than exactly what you own as detailed above, you have automatically exchanged that entire home resort usage for StarOptions and any reservation made with those StarOptions during the Network Float period is accordingly considered an exchange as well, not a home resort reservation. The VSN prohibits the rental of exchanges, just like II does.

Some have argued that as long as the StarOptions came from that resort ownership, renting StarOption reservations made at the home resort is allowed but that is not how the terms and conditions of the VSN read as Network Float reservations are not permitted to be rented, regardless of which resort they are made at. That said, owners violate this provision all the time and likely most haven't encountered any repercussions in return. I have no opinion on this matter one way or another but instead am just sharing the facts behind why you saw that language when making your reservation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

Your Vistana-sanctioned right to rent is determined by what you own vs what you book to rent out. If you own a deeded week 2 bedroom lockoff at a resort in a particular season (which is sounds like you do) and book at stay in that full unit during that season for a week stay, renting that reservation is permitted as you booked your exact home resort ownership usage.

If you do a reservation for your home resort out of season/different unit size/different length of stay, etc (only allowed 8 months or less before check in date), those bookings require the use of StarOptions and by the terms and conditions of the VSN, StarOption reservations are not allowed to be rented. This is because by booking something other than exactly what you own as detailed above, you have automatically exchanged that entire home resort usage for StarOptions and any reservation made with those StarOptions is accordingly considered an exchange as well, not a home resort reservation. The VSN prohibits the rental of exchanges, just like II does.

Some have argued that as long as the StarOptions came from that resort ownership, it's permitted to rent those reservations but that is not how the terms and conditions of the VSN read.
That said, owners violate this provision all the time and likely most haven't encountered any repercussions in return. I have no opinion on this matter one way or another but instead am just sharing the facts behind why you saw that language when making your reservation.
When I reserve exactly what I own at the resort I own at, independent of whether I do it 12 month or 12 minutes before the reservation starts it should be treated as my Home Resort reservation. The fact that Vistana treats it as a SO reservation once inside the 8 month window is their choice not mine. Having said that, I have always rented out such reservations without any problems.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I don’t think the OP will have an issue. It is a vacation period at your home resort, even if it is made through VSN within 8 months. As long as it isn’t commercial in nature I don’t think it will raise any flags.

If you buy into what some argue as “facts” then there are plenty of 2BR lockoff unit owners who are in violation of the rules when they rent out one half and stay in the other rather than renting out the whole 2BR.

shannonlyon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining and offering your thoughts!
So my next question is.
If I Proceed and reserve a week through Vistana for Sheraton Broadway Planation (my home resort), I put it under my name for now and then once it rents through Redweek, go in to Vistana and change to renters name?
Will they have any issues checking in?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So my next question is.
If I Proceed and reserve a week through Vistana for Sheraton Broadway Planation (my home resort), I put it under my name for now and then once it rents through Redweek, go in to Vistana and change to renters name?
That should work, you may also have to change some info on the Marriott site (it should automatically update but takes a few days after Vistana).

As long as their ID matches what is on the reservation on check-in you should be golden.

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
So my next question is.
There's a form you are now required to fill out through Marriott in addition to changing the guest name in Vistana. I had to do this last summer for our friends who rented our week. I'll see if I can find the link and send you a private message here. You'll also need to make sure you have the new Marriott reservation number, not just the Vistana reservation number, otherwise the front desk may deny check-in to your guest as they only recognize Marriott reservation numbers. It's a mess...

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points

If you do a reservation for your home resort that isn't exactly what you own (out of season/different unit size/different length of stay), those bookings are only allowed 8 months or less before check in date during the Network Float period and require the use of StarOptions and by the terms and conditions of the VSN, StarOption reservations are not allowed to be rented. This is because by booking something other than exactly what you own as detailed above, you have automatically exchanged that entire home resort usage for StarOptions and any reservation made with those StarOptions during the Network Float period is accordingly considered an exchange as well, not a home resort reservation. The VSN prohibits the rental of exchanges, just like II does.

Some have argued that as long as the StarOptions came from that resort ownership, renting StarOption reservations made at the home resort is allowed but that is not how the terms and conditions of the VSN read as Network Float reservations are not permitted to be rented, regardless of which resort they are made at. That said, owners violate this provision all the time and likely most haven't encountered any repercussions in return. I have no opinion on this matter one way or another but instead am just sharing the facts behind why you saw that language when making your reservation.
Mostly I agree with that (and thanks for giving the OP a great explanation) – but I’d make one correction. Reserving one side (or both sides separately) of a lockoff unit can be done during the Home Resort Reservation Period (8-12 months) and in that case it is not a StarOptions reservation, it would be perfectly permissible to rent.

By definition, once you get inside of 8 months, any reservation you make is a StarOptions reservation and is technically not allowed to be rented. At many properties, depending on the time of year, you may get much more usage out of your ownership (more nights, etc.) when using StarOptions compared to booking using your Home Resort ownership, so I can understand the logic behind barring rental for SO bookings.

As many have pointed out, this has rarely been enforced in the past but it does seem as if MVC is moving to enforce some of these rules more vigorously, so YMMV.

shannonlyon

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like as a part of Redweeks policy, they call and confirm reservation details with resort.... So does this mean I wont be able to reserve a week in September to rent? Or is this because I selected full service and if I do it myself I'd be okay.
Not sure if there is anyone who is familiar with posting on redweek.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
It looks like as a part of Redweeks policy, they call and confirm reservation details with resort.... So does this mean I wont be able to reserve a week in September to rent? Or is this because I selected full service and if I do it myself I'd be okay.
Not sure if there is anyone who is familiar with posting on redweek.
Yes, if you want to use their full service listings they will validate your posting with the resort before listing it, they don't validate whether or not you are 'allowed' to rent it just that the reservation exists. Not sure what that has to do with reserving a week in September unless it being a SO reservation is what you are worried about?

shannonlyon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you want to use their full service listings they will validate your posting with the resort before listing it, they don't validate whether or not you are 'allowed' to rent it just that the reservation exists. Not sure what that has to do with reserving a week in September unless it being a SO reservation is what you are worried about?
Yeah, because it is less than the 8-12 months... according to the above poster it becomes a StarOptions reservation.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
My reservation confirmations in the past have stated whether it is a Home Resort reservation or a Vistana Network reservation.
Is that not listed anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My reservation confirmations in the past have stated whether it is a Home Resort reservation or a Vistana Network reservation.
Is that not listed anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones coming from Vistana used to - but things have been wonky since they integrated the systems with MVC.

I’ve had a WKORVN homeweek reservation that was made at midnight 12 months out state it was a “VSN Plat Float OF”. Another stated that it was “Westin Flex Points”. Those were both made in July 2022 for a July 2023 reservation.

My most recent SO reservation made in December simply states the number of SO used. It doesn’t state it is a VSN reservation (perhaps they are trying to sunset the term VSN).

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
The ones coming from Vistana used to - but things have been wonky since they integrated the systems with MVC.

I’ve had a WKORVN homeweek reservation that was made at midnight 12 months out state it was a “VSN Plat Float OF”. Another stated that it was “Westin Flex Points”. Those were both made in July 2022 for a July 2023 reservation.

My most recent SO reservation made in December simply states the number of SO used. It doesn’t state it is a VSN reservation (perhaps they are trying to sunset the term VSN).
I made a WDW SO reservation yesterday which which shows the correct source, but I also made an additional night reservation using elected Club Points and the confirmation saws “MVW INT EXCHANGE.” Not sure if that’s right or not since I’d interpret that as Interval.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
I made a WDW SO reservation yesterday which which shows the correct source, but I also made an additional night reservation using elected Club Points and the confirmation saws “MVW INT EXCHANGE.” Not sure if that’s right or not since I’d interpret that as Interval.
It stands for Marriott Vacations Worldwide Internal Exchange, since Abound is Marriott's internal exchange program for using Club Points. All is good.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
There's a form you are now required to fill out through Marriott in addition to changing the guest name in Vistana. I had to do this last summer for our friends who rented our week. I'll see if I can find the link and send you a private message here. You'll also need to make sure you have the new Marriott reservation number, not just the Vistana reservation number, otherwise the front desk may deny check-in to your guest as they only recognize Marriott reservation numbers. It's a mess...
Can you please send me the Marriott link as well or post it here? I rented out a home week and created a guest certificate, which shows in my Vistana dashboard. When I use what I think is the correct link to check the reservation in the Marriott system, I don’t even see my reservation to make a guest name change. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Last edited:

sjlola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN OF EYx5, 5* Elite
Can you please send me the Marriott link as well or post it here? I rented out a home week and created a guest certificate, which shows in my Vistana dashboard. When I use what I think is the correct link to check the reservation in the Marriott system, I don’t even see my reservation to make a guest name change. 🤷🏽‍♀️
I'll send you a private message with the link.

clodhopr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ssjlola could you please send me the Marriott link as well? Thank you!

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
Is the Marriott form even required for a Vistana reservation? Vistana has always had the guest form online. Nothing online indicates we have to do the Marriott form also. I’ve been doing it for Marriott rentals but not Vistana. I have a guest at Kierland right now and I didn’t do the Marriott form.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Actually - no one has to do the Marriott long form - not even Marriott owners. It's not being enforced.

Currently, they are issuing TWO confirmation numbers for Vistana reservations:

1) The 8-digit Marriott number is the FIRST confirmation that you get when you make your Vistana reservation - they automatically email it to you. It's listed on your Bonvoy Acct, if you have it linked to your Vistana Acct.

2) The 6-digit Vistana number is the reservation number on your Vistana Acct. If you send yourself a confirmation from your Vistana Acct, you will receive the 6-digit number. You cannot use the 6-digit number to look up the reservation on Bonvoy.

Best practice is to take BOTH numbers the the front desk, because they often have trouble finding reservations in their system.

One more note: The 8-digit number cannot be found on your Vistana Acct, and the 6-digit number cannot be found on your Bonvoy Acct. However, your own Bonvoy Acct. number is listed on your Vistana Acct, and some people think it's the reservation number, but that is not the 8-digit Marriott reservation number.

Last edited: