• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CO ski availability

chanakya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am considering buying 2000 pts (platinum week) worth of HRC timeshare at Hyatt Pinon Pointe.

But we don't really plan to stay at HPP. We plan to trade it off primarily for a ski week.

I don't need the weekends. Studios for weekdays in high season would be fine.

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with availability of HRC locations in summit county in CO. What are the odds (unlikely, something can work, or should work mostly)?

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I am wondering if anyone here has experience with availability of HRC locations in summit county in CO. What are the odds (unlikely, something can work, or should work mostly)?

As long as you can drop everything and haul [posterior] to Aspen, there are 16 midweek stays available over the next couple weeks. But that's all I see.

The last-minute skier is rewarded for flexibility.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
Why don't you just buy a resale at Breckenridge. there are plenty available. I'm sure.

I used to be able to get weeks at Beaver Creek, and Breckenridge during ski season. But have not seen so many recently. Even I who gave up skiing about 10 years ago now (after hitting a tree ) , now put my 3 bedroom, penthouse / Mountain view / week 11, Hyatt main street station in Breckenridge up for rent, for the last 10 years now. Its over on Red Week , with many others. Its just to valuable to use the points at other Hyatt resorts most of the time. so I rent it out, and I think more are doing that, thus you will not find so many units available to trade into. and if I wanted to ski I might pick up a few midweek staying in a studio using the float points that come with my week 11.

Last edited:

chanakya

TUG Member
Reaction score
@PerryKing Maintenance fee is too high for Breckenridge, and this being the first timeshare I'm considering, it feels too much risk to take on.

Just curious. Do you get any sort of priority for using your floating points for ski weeks at Breckenridge compared to HRC members whose home location is different? If so, then it might make financial sense to do what you are suggesting (rent out the deeded ski week to cover part of the maintenance fee, and use floating points for ski midweek/studio)

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@chanakya - I have traded in for ski time and do so pretty regularly. However, I have a big advantage because I live in CO.

Do you live out west? It helps to be close by in case you get a last minute gem.

If you are flexible and set up waitlist requests you can often get some solid times (say January, or early february) using a waitlist. Holiday Weeks and Peak Ski Spring Break Season (Weeks 11 and 12) are really hard to get.

Is there a specific week that you need or do you just want a good ski trip once during the year?

chanakya

TUG Member
Reaction score
@travelhacker

We typically like to do two short trips. One in Jan/early Feb. Midweek should be ok. It is helpful to know that HRC could work.

I do another one with the kid when their school is off, say during President's day or spring break. We don't need a full week -- midweek (Sun-Thurs) should be fine. We don't need Hyatt for these trips. So for this, would interval exchange work as a backup in case if HRC doesn't?

I see that for two diamond midweek studios, it would cost 600 pts. That leaves us with 1400 pts for other trips during off season, which is plenty to explore within HRC and Interval. Assuming we get 2 BR lockoff at Hyatt Pinon Pointe, we should be able to rent out the deeded 1 BR week in some years when we don't need them? If we rent out 1 BR during the deeded week, would that leave us with 600 pts?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@travelhacker

We typically like to do two short trips. One in Jan/early Feb. Midweek should be ok. It is helpful to know that HRC could work.

I do another one with the kid when their school is off, say during President's day or spring break. We don't need a full week -- midweek (Sun-Thurs) should be fine. We don't need Hyatt for these trips. So for this, would interval exchange work as a backup in case if HRC doesn't?

I see that for two diamond midweek studios, it would cost 600 pts. That leaves us with 1400 pts for other trips during off season, which is plenty to explore within HRC and Interval. Assuming we get 2 BR lockoff at Hyatt Pinon Pointe, we should be able to rent out the deeded 1 BR week in some years when we don't need them? If we rent out 1 BR during the deeded week, would that leave us with 600 pts?
President's week / Peak spring break (week 11 and 12) are tough regardless. If you do an ongoing search in interval and aren't picky, you may be able to get something, but be grateful when it does.

We did eagle point in Vail one year (Week 11) -- it's well below Marriott / Hyatt standards, but they had a shuttle and the staff was pretty nice.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
@PerryKing Maintenance fee is too high for Breckenridge, and this being the first timeshare I'm considering, it feels too much risk to take on.

Just curious. Do you get any sort of priority for using your floating points for ski weeks at Breckenridge compared to HRC members whose home location is different? If so, then it might make financial sense to do what you are suggesting (rent out the deeded ski week to cover part of the maintenance fee, and use floating points for ski midweek/studio)
No Priority. Just the luck of who see's the availabilty first and it works for them, and I never used the wait list system for it either. I do live in Denver. There were several times in the past when I canceled my 3 bedroom Penthouse, Mountain view week 11, at Breckenridge on Saturday Morning (the Check in day) and it went back into inventory fast (somehow) and was picked up by somone within hours of me cancelling my reservation. It's just timeing and experience, I guess and luck that you find a gem like Travelhacker mention in his post above,

Last edited:

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

Look at the studio prices.