• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island Car Rental

JFST

Reaction score
I'm going to be on the big island for about 3 weeks starting the first or second week in february. Does anyone have any tips on renting a midsize car. I looked around at some of the rental company sites and I saw some quotes of $600 per week. Wow! The lowest I saw was at Hotwire.com for about $326 per week but that still is more than I have paid in the past. And I like to have both my wife and I drive. I'm a member at National and Enterprise so both of can drive if we rent through them at no extra cost but their rates are so high. Any advice?

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
If you are a Costco member - go through the Costco Travel site and check the Alamo rates (with a discount of either $30/week or 1 free day) which are usually less than National (same company).

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also try: DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com

Beat my costco price by about $15 for a week in April (alamo). Book the cheapest you can find now and keep checking. Prices most likely will drop but if in high demand for your weeks, could go up instead. Better to be fairly safe, than sorry ;)

Aaron Kristen

Reaction score
Car rental on BI

I would agree. keep checking and hope/pray you get a deal.
We will be on the Big Island for the last 3 weeks in April. Have been checking the major car rental websites, and trying my luck on priceline for a month.
It will be difficult to get anything under $300 (all taxes/fees in) for an intermediate or larger for the week. The taxes, fees and all other goodies added in, really add up.
April 2009, we had a standard sized car for $550 all in.
Keep trying and keep watching for deals.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Have you tried priceline? I just got a 9 day reservation (in March 2011) with Hertz, full size car for $351.

dalesall

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a full size on priceline for $17 per day for a 9 day stay in January. Total cost for the 9 days is $270.67. It is from Hertz.

Give it a try it is worth it. I tried every day for over a month before i got the good price.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely try Priceline.