• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

best exchange option to recover from rookie mistake

norbnad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
I was gifted a wonderful two bedroom platinum week at Marriott Shadow Ridge and totally screwed up the deadline dates. My current position is that I have a 2024 week that I did not make a reservation for and available reservation dates are in December 2024 and they do not work for me. From poking around on this forum, I think I understand that the best/only option is to exchange this week on Interval International. However, I'm still not sure if I should reserve a week in December and use the Owner Deposit option or just use the Marriott Deposit option.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure if I should reserve a week in December and use the Owner Deposit option or just use the Marriott Deposit option.
At this point it probably doesn't matter, you'll get what they have. If you book yourself to get weeks 51 or 52 then you won't have terrible trading power in II. See below for the Travel Demand Index that covers the resort. The higher a number you can get the better.

What is important now is that you get the week deposited and your request for what you do want into the system so, you have the most time possible to get something that suits you. Only request dates, unit sizes and locations that you will accept, otherwise you'll waste time getting matches and then having to reject them before the 24hr cancellation period is up.

1703322513782.png

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@norbnad

Welcome to TUG!

If week 51/52 are still avail, reserve a 1br and a Studio for either week, any check in day, using Owner Deposit. Pay the $90 Lock Off fee.

If you know where and when you want to travel next year, set up an Ongoing Search Request with those resort codes. Then, be sure to check your email every day, or log in to your Interval account every day to make sure the request is still there. If it is ever "missing", you have received a confirmation. You will find it under History > Exchanges
If you do not want the confirmation, you need to CALL INTERVAL within 24 hours to decline, make adjustments to the request, and return the request to "pending status".
If you are confirmed on a Sunday, use the Customer Support link at the bottom right of every Interval web page, then Email Us Form to send an email to cancel the confirmation.

norbnad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
At this point it probably doesn't matter, you'll get what they have. If you book yourself to get weeks 51 or 52 then you won't have terrible trading power in II. See below for the Travel Demand Index that covers the resort. The higher a number you can get the better.

What is important now is that you get the week deposited and your request for what you do want into the system so, you have the most time possible to get something that suits you. Only request dates, unit sizes and locations that you will accept, otherwise you'll waste time getting matches and then having to reject them before the 24hr cancellation period is up.

View attachment 86149
Thank you, very much appreciated. Where did you find that TDI chart? The one I found did not list all the weeks and was not nearly as helpful.

norbnad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
@norbnad

Welcome to TUG!

If week 51/52 are still avail, reserve a 1br and a Studio for either week, any check in day, using Owner Deposit. Pay the $90 Lock Off fee.

If you know where and when you want to travel next year, set up an Ongoing Search Request with those resort codes. Then, be sure to check your email every day, or log in to your Interval account every day to make sure the request is still there. If it is ever "missing", you have received a confirmation. You will find it under History > Exchanges
If you do not want the confirmation, you need to CALL INTERVAL within 24 hours to decline, make adjustments to the request, and return the request to "pending status".
If you are confirmed on a Sunday, use the Customer Support link at the bottom right of every Interval web page, then Email Us Form to send an email to cancel the confirmation.
Thank you, very much appreciated.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
@claraj if you look up any resort and click on the name of the resort it takes you to the directory page for that resort. In this case I looked up MRD for Shadow Ridge and now am looking at the resort. The link to the TDI chart is circled in green.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 8.15.52 AM.png

norbnad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
@norbnad

Welcome to TUG!

Thanks again. I was able to reserve both the 1br and studio for week 52. And I'm wondering now how that translates to II. When I make a request in II, should I be requesting two separate week stays, one for each of my week deposits. Sorry for being such an idiot, I haven't found a lot of basic explanatory materials and I'm very grateful that I found this community to help.

norbnad

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
@claraj if you look up any resort and click on the name of the resort it takes you to the directory page for that resort. In this case I looked up MRD for Shadow Ridge and now am looking at the resort. The link to the TDI chart is circled in green.

View attachment 86164
much thanks... and thanks to this entire TUG community for doing what you do to help the ill informed.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
@norbnad week 52 should trade well. It has a high travel demand index (TDI)

When you are on the Marriott site (which is very hard to use now that they've updated it), I click on the Search box and select "helpful tools". From there, you can find the earliest date that you can reserve your unit. It is "roughly" 365 days in advance but if you need to reserve a specific date, you should learn the EXACT date that they release that inventory. Marriott releases an entire week on one date. That means that the Fri, Sat and Sun check-ins are all released at the same time. You should probably plan on reserving 2025 in the first and second quarter of next year (2024). For 2025, if you are reserving a high demand week (like Coachella Jazz or the Stagecoach music festival, week 51, etc.), you'll want to set your alarm clock to be making your reservation at 9 am Eastern.

Last edited: