• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

All Inclusive Resorts

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark
Do people actually pay the crazy high all inclusive resort fees. I was looking at one on RCI and the fees for 2 people were nearly $7K for 7 days plus the exchange fees and your deposited week. I can't imagine getting $500 per day per person out of an all inclusive. What activities would justify this? What am I missing?

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
The trick is to use an online travel agency to compare. We have found in general that OTAs are a better value than exchanges, but there have been instances where the exchange was slightly lower than OTA. We exclude points cost in that calculation because we consider it sunk.

Last edited:

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
The trick is to use an online travel agency to compare. We have found in general that OTAs are a better value than exchanges, but there have been instances where the exchange was slightly lower than OTA. We exclude points cost in that calculation because we coniser it sunk.
What is an OTA? Or where are you looking?

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Do people actually pay the crazy high all inclusive resort fees. I was looking at one on RCI and the fees for 2 people were nearly $7K for 7 days plus the exchange fees and your deposited week. I can't imagine getting $500 per day per person out of an all inclusive. What activities would justify this? What am I missing?
I can't imagine getting $500 per person per day. Even the expensive places we just went in Myrtle Beach were at most $100 a person for dinner, so even if we tried, we'd be at something like $50 per person for breakfast, $75 for lunch and $100 for dinner. I'm not sure what else we'd do - The most expensive tickets I'd seen recently for anything I MIGHT do was $150 and so I'm working to hit $375 for a person for about the most expensive day I can imagine. Maybe Disney would put you over, but that's not Mexico.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine getting $500 per person per day. Even the expensive places we just went in Myrtle Beach were at most $100 a person for dinner, so even if we tried, we'd be at something like $50 per person for breakfast, $75 for lunch and $100 for dinner. I'm not sure what else we'd do - The most expensive tickets I'd seen recently for anything I MIGHT do was $150 and so I'm working to hit $375 for a person for about the most expensive day I can imagine. Maybe Disney would put you over, but that's not Mexico.
A place like Grand Velas charges and gets that kind of money, even through OTA.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm thinking some major amenities and excursions would have to be included.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A lot of drinking. At $15-20/drink, they can add up quickly. I couldn't do it, but I'm sure there are some that can.

Kurt

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Travel
Agency

OTA
I'm apparently just a n00b here, but what is an Online Travel Agency? Do I just google that or are there ones that are "good"? What do they do for you that IDK, Expedia doesn't?

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A lot of drinking. At $15-20/drink, they can add up quickly. I couldn't do it, but I'm sure there are some that can.

Kurt
In an old job I had insight into F&B costs in all inclusive. It was less than $12 per day in the Caribbean. The biggest issues were alcohol poisoning and employees stealing the imported food and substituting it for local. I actually had a picture I took of a skinned canine in a meat cooler.

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expedia is an online travel agency, at least in the original definition.

Anyways, I think what the deal is with a lot of these massive AI fees is they're preying on folks who don't read the fine print carefully. So, timeshare traveler goes to Mexico for the first time, sees a nice resort, "Hey honey, guess what? It's all inclusive." Flies, gets a rental car, drives to the hotel, finds it, and gets hit at the front desk: "Hi sir, please give us a credit card to charge 7,000 dollars for your stay." "Say what?" "7,000, it's in the fine print." "But, but, but, that's more than we paid for the entire vacation." "No worries, sir, if you sign up for a sales presentation, only 90 minutes, I'll cut it in half."

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
And it probably makes the grift easier when they are at the presentation:

"Beautiful resort, no?"
"Yes, but."
"All you can drink right? Here, have another!"
"Sure, but..."
"And wonderful food, right?"
"Yeah, but we can't come back again. 7000 dollars for a week of food and drink! I'd be in a hospital trying to drink that much."
"Ah, no problem, amigo. See, that 7000 dollars is only because you exchanged here. If you own here, you'd save 5000 dollars in all inclusive fees every time you came."
"Really?"
"Yup, owners only pay 2000. So in a sense, this package I'm selling you, would pay for itself after only 5 visits!"
"Wow! That sounds like a great deal. Honey, what do you say? Only 25K and we could come here for the next 20 years!"

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
I would not book an all-inclusive through RCE and would only go to an All-inclusive from a reputable provider like the Hyatt Secrets (adults only) and Dreams (families) resorts. The logistics/ offerings of all-inclusives are much different than a regular time-share and they are more efficient to operate. I'm not "pushing" Hyatt, but if you check out some of their all-inclusives in Cancun for example you will find them quite reasonable (much less than $500 PP/day) and great properties and amenities.

WorldT

TUG Member
Reaction score
To each one according to their own. I don't eat or drink enough to justify any all inclusive for my family. Since I always have a rental car in Mexico, I am able to eat what I want, where I want, and when I want.

CaliSunshine

TUG Member
Reaction score
An example of what I like to call "Fuzzy math". People fall for it all the time.
Honestly, it's kind of brilliant. These Mexican timeshares aren't putting developer inventory into exchanges to send their "employee of the month" to Massanutten in a 2 bedroom in shoulder season. They're probably getting a very minimal, not even enough to quite cover expenses, cash payment from Interval and RCI and the main reason they do it at all is to get fresh meat for their sales teams.

So would they rather sell to a TUGger who's eplusing for the best possible trade, or someone who doesn't even bother to read the fine print?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading in RCI (or Interval) into a mandatory AI is always a terrible deal. If you want to book an AI check through places like Apple Vacations, Costco Travel, Southwest Vacations, Expedia, etc. You will find much better deals.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Expedia is an online travel agency, at least in the original definition.
I like to use booking.com. Also, we like the Barcelo/Occidental resorts for all inclusives, and my wife registered as a "member" on their website (completely free to do) and we get a 5 or 10 percent discount on their rates.

Also, if you can stomach a mandatory sales pitch, check out BookVIP.com. Really good deals there, with a major string attached (sitting through that hard sell).

As far as eating local, we enjoyed doing that when we stayed at El Cid on Cozumel, but when we are in Nuevo Vallarta (I'm not calling it N Nayarit yet), and we are 1-in-3'd out of Vidanta, we really prefer AIs, it is just simpler if more expensive. Also, nearly all the resorts there are AI mandatory.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It's getting hard to find AI not required in Mexico. The price looks good with RCI until the AI is included. I looked at a unit at our resort and it was $11,000 for the week because of AI. The MF is about $850. I doubt that anyone does this.

Bill