• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best timeshare you've visited that was NOT at a major tourist destination.

EAM

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the best resort you have exchanged into that was not at a major tourist destination?
For us, I think it would be the Worldmark in Eden, Utah.

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a tough choice. I guess I would choose Fairfield Glade in Tn or Eagle Crest in Redmond, OR. I absolutely loved Lawrence Welk in Escondido but I think that is probably considered a major tourist destination. I also liked the Worldmark resort in St George, UT.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Blue Ridge Village in Banner Elk North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Mountains remind me of the Smokey Mountains without all of the crowds and tourist traps you find in Gatlinurg and Pigeon Forge. I liked the resort and area so much that I bought 2 weeks there (resale of course), one in the summer and one in the winter.

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
Whispering Woods

My favorite resort that I have visited that was "off the beaten path" is Whispering Woods in Welches, Oregon. Gorgeous area with forests, mountains, lakes, trails, etc. Plus it is relatively close to the Columbia River Gorge and to Portland.

The resort itself is not luxurious, but it is nice. I would definitely go back.

Steve

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ke Nani Kai, Molokai, Hawaii!

The timeshare -

P3092101.jpg

And to convince you this really is not a tourist destination, this is main street!

molokai07.jpg

Last edited:

btcctomtb

Reaction score
Blue Ridge Village in Banner Elk North Carolina. The Blue Ridge Mountains remind me of the Smokey Mountains without all of the crowds and tourist traps you find in Gatlinurg and Pigeon Forge. I liked the resort and area so much that I bought 2 weeks there (resale of course), one in the summer and one in the winter.

I second Blue Ridge Village. Would love to have a summer home here. Great people everywhere you go.

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Manteo Beach Club in Kelowna, British Columbia.

Most Americans have never heard of Kelowna so I guess that means it's not a majot tourist destination.

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second Blue Ridge Village. Would love to have a summer home here. Great people everywhere you go.

If I won the lottery a home in the Banner Elk area would be one of my first purchases. The temperatures at home in July are upper 90's and miserable while the highs in July in the Banner Elk area are in the upper 70's to low 80's. Beautiful area, great people, great food, and unbeatable summer climate.

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Manteo Beach Club in Kelowna, British Columbia.

Most Americans have never heard of Kelowna so I guess that means it's not a majot tourist destination.

I have been to Kelowna. :)

And to Penticton and Osyoos too.

You are right though, most American's probably aren't familiar with the Okanagan Valley, in BC, and maybe that's a good thing. :D

But it is a tourist destination for British Columbian's and Albertan's.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been to Kelowna. :)

You are right though, most American's probably aren't familiar with the Okanagan Valley, in BC, and maybe that's a good thing. :D

But it is a tourist destination for British Columbian's and Albertan's.

And for anyone who knows the taste of good wine !

K.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Telemark Cable WI

Our favorite timeshare.
The town of Cable has a 200 population!

Then for the International Cross Country Birke race in Feb, the population grpws to 20,000 - obviously all resorts and vacation cabins are full then. We don;t go then, we like WARM!

There is a Fat Tire race in Sept that draws 4,000 people - have to have a lottery to limit numbers since so many want to come - who would havethought?

There are Red Hat meetings, scrapbooking, quilting, other events.

see some pics of it
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=238689238/a=22435551_22435551/t_=22435551

and on my BLOG (which I need to update)
http://ronandjoanjourney.blogspot.com/

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
We haven't visited too many timeshares that weren't in major tourist destinations. But the one that we did we loved. We went to Depoe Bay in Oregon on the coast and it was beautiful!!!! We loved it. The timeshare had sweeping views of the ocean it was amazing. You can check out pictures of it by clicking the link in my signature.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My favorite resort that I have visited that was "off the beaten path" is Whispering Woods in Welches, Oregon. Gorgeous area with forests, mountains, lakes, trails, etc. Plus it is relatively close to the Columbia River Gorge and to Portland.

The resort itself is not luxurious, but it is nice. I would definitely go back.

Steve

Ke Nani Kai, Molokai, Hawaii!

I've been to both of those and I would definitely include them in the list.

Denise - Molokai Ranch is now closed, as is the resort next to Ke Nani Kai (once again). So the Ke Nani Kai area is even less of a tourist attraction now than it was several years ago.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Favorite: Domaine de Gavaudun in Gavaudun, France.

In the USA, I liked Whispering Woods too - and Blue Heron in Union WA, on the same trip.

I really enjoyed these locations... none are destination resorts. I'll probably think of a few others, if I ruminate some more...

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite was Stoneridge Townhomes in Sunriver OR. The units are huge.

Lynn

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite would be Pacific Shores Nature Resort in Parksville, Vancouver Is. BC

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite would be Pacific Shores Nature Resort in Parksville, Vancouver Is. BC
Oh yeah - me too! :) (co-favorite, along with the France one mentioned above)

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've really only stayed at one timeshare that wasn't in a major tourist destination WorldMark Arrow Point, ID, but it was a great resort. We went there off season (last week of October/first week of November). Even at that time of year the lake was beautiful and the hiking was great too.

KarenP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd have to say the Kilconquar Estate in Scotland. Unbelievably fabulous!!!!!

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Also in Scotland . . . Moness Country Club in Aberfeldy.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Denise - Molokai Ranch is now closed, as is the resort next to Ke Nani Kai (once again). So the Ke Nani Kai area is even less of a tourist attraction now than it was several years ago.

As is the golf course, and the market shown in her picture just recently closed.

Beaches would be still be wonderful, though. I used to think about going there, but with the reduction in services it has moved down my list.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aviawest at the Pacific Rim (#6848)
Ucluelet, BC V0R 3A0
Canada

and

Walton Hall near Stratford-on-Avon

:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I've been to both of those and I would definitely include them in the list.

Yeah, I know....I don't know what the answer is for Molokai. I feel sad that 2 very nice resorts are falling into disrepair, but it's not my decision to make...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As is the golf course, and the market shown in her picture just recently closed.

Beaches would be still be wonderful, though. I used to think about going there, but with the reduction in services it has moved down my list.

If you don't need fine dining and shopping and you like the outdoors, you would be fine on Molokai. The Hotel Molokai, kind of a hopping mom and pop spot, is very much a locals place, so I bet it's still going strong and still a good place for dinner and a night out.