• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cleaning spots from "stainless" steel

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is it called "stainless" when it stains, or at least gets spots? My stainless flatware - good quality but probably 30 years old - is so spotty that it's dull and unsightly. Presumably this is from the dishwasher, and perhaps I should get some of that stuff that makes the water sheet off. We use different types of liquid detergents - usually whatever we have a coupon for.

But how do I clean it? I tried vinegar, baking soda, vinegar and baking soda together, stainless steel cleaner (powdered, kind of like Comet), and various other things that I can't remember. I did not try a steel wool pad, but I did use one of those green scrubby pads. Despite vigorous scrubbing with the above, it's still spotty.

I just bought a new set - nice quality 18/10 or 18/8 - and shiny. Already, after only a few months, I'm starting to see some spots. Any advice?

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need a water softener or, if you already have one, get it checked to see if it is performing correctly.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need a water softener or, if you already have one, get it checked to see if it is performing correctly.

Good idea!
We don't have one and I think we do have hard water. I don't think we will get a water softener, but I'll check labels on the dishwashing products to see which ones are formulated for hard water.

rschallig

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use different types of liquid detergents - usually whatever we have a coupon for.

Your type of liquid detergent could be the problem. We were able to handle the spots and stains by sticking with Cascade Complete dishwasher detergent. We needed to stay away from any other brand including those Cascade's that included the different smells such as "lemon". In addition we use the product JetDry as a rinse agent to "fight spots & film". To polish stainless steel we had good results with a product called Bar Keepers Friend. This combo of stuff works so well for us that we have it regardless of coupons or sales.

However, I am no expert - - - just a recent retiree made responsible for some household chores thereby being supportive and sensitive. If you have any questions on how best to clean bathrooms, let me know. :D

Bob

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I agree that cleaning stainless steel can be surprisingly difficult and frustrating. We have some stainless steel appliances - they look sharp when they are clean but not so nice when there are spots.

When the usual stainless steel cleaners fail, I have had success cleaning stains from our appliances using BriteBoy from Trewax. (I think of this as a harsher product, so I do try stainless steel cleaners first.)

If you have some of your old stainless flatware, and if you've run out of simple options, you might want to try just a small amount of BriteBoy on a cloth to see if it works to remove spots. A little persistence and elbow grease may be needed as well.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bob? Cleaning the bathroom?

bob-
... tell me about cleaning the b/r. --ken

Me too! I use clorox in the potty, and any kind of spray (409, fantastic, etc) plus a scrub brush for the tub and shower, and the same spray + paper towels for the sink, counter, outside of potty.

I'd love to hear if you have some tricks that work better or faster! :whoopie:

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
A few years ago i noticed my Oneida stainless steel cutlery dulling and some pit marks & rust forming. I called Oneida and the first thing they asked me was if I had a dishwasher (I do) and if I used any type of citrus detergent in the dishwasher (I had switched to one a few months prior). The rep said the acid in any of the citrus type of detergents will pit even the best quality stainless and will void any warranty.
~Diane

rschallig

TUG Member
Reaction score
bob-
my s/s is fine; tell me about cleaning the b/r. --ken

Alright, let me share how I clean that pesky bathroom. I approached this assigned responsibility with the same vigor I used to manage multi-million dollar projects.

First I use Windex “antibacterial multi-surface” for the glass and windows. Windex is still the best product for me. The multi-surface antibacterial qualities caught my attention as being particularly well suited for bathrooms.

Second, I vacuum the floor tile; shake the rug outside; spray same Windex on the tile floor and scrub the tile using a scrubber; wipe of excess moisture from the floor with a clean rag towel. Rag towel is then deposited in the washer room which fortunately remains the domain of my wife.

Third (still paying attention?), I strip down and jump in the shower. I wet down the interior of the shower and apply Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner all over with a scrubber. This stuff removes the soap scum with “the invigorating scent of fresh oranges”. Also works on multiple surfaces including ceramic tile, stainless steel and chrome. For good measure, I use the Ajax “with bleach and scratch free” power cleaner on the shower/bath floor to wipe out the evil stuff that hangs out there, especially in the corners. As a final step, I rinse off the shower and then take a shower.

Finally, the toilet. I use Hexol “original concentrated general household cleaner & deodorant”. This stuff is not available in many places but I order the gallon size at Longs Drugstore. Beats the heck out of PineSol and smells a lot better. After scrubbing the toilet bowl, don’t flush and leave the stuff in the bowl. Excellent evidence for the wife that you did the job. If you want to really impress the spouse, use gloves.

That’s it folks.
Bob

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few years ago i noticed my Oneida stainless steel cutlery dulling and some pit marks & rust forming. I called Oneida and the first thing they asked me was if I had a dishwasher (I do) and if I used any type of citrus detergent in the dishwasher (I had switched to one a few months prior). The rep said the acid in any of the citrus type of detergents will pit even the best quality stainless and will void any warranty.
~Diane

Wow - I'm surprised there's enough citrus in the detergent to do that!
Anyway, no more "lemon scented" for me.
thanks!

pranas

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best way to clean a bathroom is with a steamer. Once you learn how to use it, all you need is water and a clean cloth. It santizes and cleans at the same time. And the clean smell after the job is done is awesome. My steamer was the one of better investments that I made. Does wonders for my allergies also.

My steamer holds enough steam to clean two bahrooms. I also use it to clean my kitchen and floors. I don't think the little steamers work anywhere near as well.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best way to clean a bathroom is with a steamer. Once you learn how to use it, all you need is water and a clean cloth. It santizes and cleans at the same time. And the clean smell after the job is done is awesome. My steamer was the one of better investments that I made. Does wonders for my allergies also.

My steamer holds enough steam to clean two bahrooms. I also use it to clean my kitchen and floors. I don't think the little steamers work anywhere near as well.

What kind do you have? Does it just use water, or is there some kind of detergent in it as well?

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
bathrooms?

I realize this thread has strayed from stainless steel spots to bathroom cleaning but I'll add my two cents anyway.

After switching from a soft bar soap to a liquid body wash, I no longer get a clogged shower drain and the tile and tub stay cleaner, too--no soap scum. We have softened water as well. After I dry myself off, I use the same towel to wipe down the shower and tub each time I use it. It stays clean with this minimal task. However, DH refuses to do it and so from time to time I do get out the cleanser and scrub down the tub.

I use a spray bottle filled with water and a little isopropol alcohol (cheap version of windex without the blue color, etc). Spray it on the mirror, counter, toilet, floor, windows, etc and wipe dry with paper towels (for the toilet, then toss) or terrycloth rag (throw in the wash with bleach). I use a commercial toilet bowl cleaner and brush. Cleanser for the sink. Occasionally use one of those disinfectant wipes to wipe toilet seat and surfaces (especially if DH is home more than usual).

Vacuum the floor if I am vacuuming nearby bedroom.

I also have a steamer and have used it on the kids' bathroom when it got too gross. Works great on floors and walls. Just hate to have to fill it up, heat it up, wheel it around, etc. It's much easier to whip out the spray bottle. I do love my steamer but tend to only get it out when I have a lot of work to do so it is worth the effort.