• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Festiva is now managing my resort, how bad is it going to get?

davidpatb

Reaction score
Festivarep.....Thanks for responding to my post. I was just about to call Festiva to discuss this, and checked the board. I am glad that we are able to trade internally. Festiva has acquired some nice resorts.

Thanks again.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
Festivarep.....Thanks for responding to my post. I was just about to call Festiva to discuss this, and checked the board. I am glad that we are able to trade internally. Festiva has acquired some nice resorts.

Thanks again.

No problem! I'm glad you enjoy our properties. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
How would all this controversy affect me if I were to exchange inorder to spend a week at the Atrium? Is the Atrium in good shape or not? Apparently many people love that resort. Is it in the process of being destroyed?

Hi Pianodinosaur;

If you can be a bit more specific about what 'controversy' you're referring to I may be able to better answer your question. And the resort is certainly NOT in the process of being destroyed, in fact we are doing our best to make improvements and renovations throughout the property. If you are a Festiva Resorts member who wants to exchange into the Atrium, you can call our Owner Services department.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Festiva Rep:

The controversy is that many owners at The Atrium have expressed deep concerns about the new management. I own at HGVC and like to vacation in the Carribbean during the winter. I would like to visit Sint Maarten, Barbados, and Curacao in the next 3-4 years. I had heard very good things about The Atrium before I joined TUG and it is apparent from this thread that there are many members who just love The Atrium. I have also read posts to the effect that some owners at The Atrium do not want to see a resort that they love, be destroyed. However, an owner has responded that I would not be disappointed if I were to exchange for a week at The Atrium.

jercal10

Reaction score
Festiva/ Peppertree@Tamarack

I am an owner @ Pepertree@ Tamarack. I recently received 2 mailings:

a) a nomination form for officers-received after the due date to submit.

b) on the same day I received a letter with 2 things:
1) a list of nominees( guess who picked some of them? how did they get them in on time??)
2) "The approved 2009 Consolidated budget"

Hilites : 6.4% increase in op costs
11.3 % increase in MF
this is approximately $193k more increase in Revenue than expenses, yet they have decreased the money going to reserves by $143k

There is no explanation of where the $193k+ $143K= $326k is going!!!!

Nor is there any statement as to how much we have (or don't have) in reserve.

There's probably a couple of things here in blatant violation of Wis law,
but with loaded boards, little that can be done.

Be vigilant at your resort--make these guys provide decent management for their fees.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has to be honest owners on the board for owners to get honest answers. A board loaded with developer or management company run by them is BAD!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am an owner @ Pepertree@ Tamarack. I recently received 2 mailings: [Litany of Complaints]
There's probably a couple of things here in blatant violation of Wis law,
but with loaded boards, little that can be done.

If you truely believe that Wisconsin law is being violated by these things, there's something you can do... Contact the Wisconsin Attorney General's Office or whatever agency is tasked with regulating TS's. Make some noise. Just sitting on your arse and posting your gripes here will not change anything.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
:cheer: Ditto to what Talent312 just posted. They do it cause no one holds them responsible....

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how the fees were calcuated either. However, at least a few of those running for the board are not Festiva employees, as they describe their backgrounds in their statements.

I cannot attend the meeting, but would like someone who does to ask why the fee increases don't line up with the budget, and report back. Anyone expecting to go?

jercal10

Reaction score
Tamarack budget

Here's my dialogue with the resort GM:

* my question: "1) the MF increase is 11.3%, and the expense increase is only 6%. Where is the rest of the money going??*

*response:"When you do a budget you take into consideration income and expense, our income is considerably under and are expense is considerably higher. Therefore this offsets each other.

My comment
Don't expect any real answers as the GM is unprepared to say that the budget is wrong.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my dialogue with the resort GM:

* my question: "1) the MF increase is 11.3%, and the expense increase is only 6%. Where is the rest of the money going??*

*response:"When you do a budget you take into consideration income and expense, our income is considerably under and are expense is considerably higher. Therefore this offsets each other.

Dear GM,
Well when you consider what I want to pay in MF"s and what you are charging, my desired outlay is considerably under, and your asking amount is considerably over. I will simply pay less MF's since these 2 offset each other. If they can do the budget that way then owners should be able to pay that way too.

Last edited:

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm employed by Festiva Management Group and I'm here to answer any questions that I can. If I can't answer them, I will direct you to the person/department who can.
Hi FestivaRep,

Can you tell us anything about the new/upcoming association between Sandcastle Resort in Provincetown and Festiva?

First, is this true? - is Festiva the new management company? If so, what benefits might there be, if any, to fixed weeks owners who don't convert to any points system? And, what special assessments might be slated for 2009?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a huge conflict of interest in management putting its employees on an HOA board. Board members should all be bonafide t/s owners who do not owe their souls to management. I would run, not walk, away from any resort where management has seats on an HOA board.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
re: Tamarack meeting mailings

I am an owner @ Pepertree@ Tamarack. I recently received 2 mailings:

a) a nomination form for officers-received after the due date to submit.

b) on the same day I received a letter with 2 things:
1) a list of nominees( guess who picked some of them? how did they get them in on time??)

Jercal,

I'll see what I can find out about the budget, I'll have to talk to several people as I'm not directly involved in that aspect of the company.

However, one thing I can definitely say is that the nomination letter for the Tamarack board meeting was mailed on August 29 (and the due date for receiving nominations was Sept. 10) so you should have received that in plenty of time. The proxies with the bios, etc. were mailed almost a month later on Sept. 22. I'm not sure why you received them both on the same day. I am the contact who works directly with our mailing company to send most of our member/owner mailings, and I have confirmation from the mailing company that the first letters were sent on 08/29. I haven't heard that anyone else received the letters after the due date. If you want to verify that we have your accurate contact information, send an e-mail to myemail@festivaresorts.com and they will make sure it is up to date.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not even close to a reasonable time

Jercal,

However, one thing I can definitely say is that the nomination letter for the Tamarack board meeting was mailed on August 29 (and the due date for receiving nominations was Sept. 10) so you should have received that in plenty of time.

How do you figure "plenty of time"? Thats 12 days to get the letter, get the BIO/ nomination ready, get it mailed and back to you. Not CLOSE to enough time. I should be a window of 30 days or more if you are serious about getting real nominations. Bulk mailings don't arrive in the mailbox 2 or 3 days later especially when there is a holiday in the mailing window as there was during 9/1 - 10.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
However, one thing I can definitely say is that the nomination letter for the Tamarack board meeting was mailed on August 29 (and the due date for receiving nominations was Sept. 10) so you should have received that in plenty of time.
I recv'd my nominating letter on September 11th, the day after nominations closed.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
mailings

The mailings went out as promptly as possible, and were sent by the post office on August 29. As indicated on the letter, nominations did not have to be mailed in, they could have been faxed or e-mailed to the GM to save time. If you have concerns about the timeliness of the mailings, those can be addressed directly to the GM or the board.

Bill4728

Reaction score
Since this thread is nothing about buy or selling a TS, I'm moving it to the "other TS board" .

jercal10

Reaction score
Peppertree@ Tamarack ann'l meeting

I don't understand how the fees were calcuated either. However, at least a few of those running for the board are not Festiva employees, as they describe their backgrounds in their statements.

I cannot attend the meeting, but would like someone who does to ask why the fee increases don't line up with the budget, and report back. Anyone expecting to go?

I received the detailed budget if you are interested, I can e-mail it??

jercal10

Reaction score
Festiva Rep:
It is is my understanding that at the annual meeting that Festiva voted the adventure club proxies as a block for its hand picked slate, at least one of which is not an owner.

It may not be technically a violation of wis law for this to happen, but certainly violates the spirit of the law which says that a minimum of 25 % of the board must be picked by the owners. ( I do not believe that the adventure club owners really cast any votes, only Festiva).

What is Festiva's position on reinstating owner control,per the intent of the law??

FestivaRep

Reaction score
Hi Jercal,

I will look into your concern, but i just want to clarify that you are referring to the Peppertree at Tamarack annual meeting, correct? Several of our properties' meetings have taken place over the last few months, so I just want to be sure. Thanks.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
PTOA concerns

I have gotten some information from someone who works closely with our HOA boards, so hopefully your concerns will be addressed.

There has been some concern about putting Festiva employees on the PTOA board, but this is not the case. The three members we cast our (legal) votes for were:

1. An existing member of the previous board who is a homeowner in PTOA and the Board President of Mirror Lake 1 (also an HOA in Tamarack). He was RE-elected and is now the sitting Board President of the PTOA.

2. A homeowner and 2 year advisor to the board who was appointed by the previous board. Has served 2 years attending every board meeting and now has an official board seat and vote.

3. Board President of Mirror Lake 2. Not an owner in PTOA, but a 35-year association management professional, and someone who has a vested interest in the inner workings of the resort as a whole.

The PTOA now has representatives from each of the 3 sub associations under the master (TOA) association. The smaller Mirror Lake 1 and 2 HOAs had long felt that they weren't getting a fair shake from the PTOA on issues important to them and had no say in the TOA election process. Only the PTOA Board president can vote in TOA elections, yet the TOA still charges thousands of dollars to the Mirror Lake HOA's each year for the shared use and exterior maintenance agreements. We thought it fair to allow members of ML1 and ML2 serve on the PTOA board since the decisions made by the board affect all three HOAs.

To answer the concern about the board being picked by owners and Festiva casting votes as opposed to Adventure Club members, our Adventure Club members do not actually own deeded real estate at any of our resorts; rather, they have a 40 year club membership. Therefore, they are not a part of a specific property's HOA. We (Festiva) pay the maintenance fees for each club week. While some of those maintenance fees are offset by the fees paid to us by club members, not all of them are. We are responsible for 100% of the maintenance fees for weeks we have in trust, developer owned weeks that have no one offsetting the expense, weeks that are in default, and weeks that the HOAs have sold us in order to get maintenance fees paid for those intervals once again and forever. Further, if a club member does not pay their dues, Festiva still has to pay the fees on those weeks to the HOA, and we do so without fail.

I hope this information has been helpful with relation to the PTOA meeting. If there are any questions about this annual meeting or any other HOA board meeting, please let me know as they are all different.

FestivaRep

Reaction score
Hi FestivaRep,

Can you tell us anything about the new/upcoming association between Sandcastle Resort in Provincetown and Festiva?

First, is this true? - is Festiva the new management company? If so, what benefits might there be, if any, to fixed weeks owners who don't convert to any points system? And, what special assessments might be slated for 2009?

Festiva Resorts is not the new management company for the Sandcastle Resort, therefore we have no knowledge or control of any assessments for 2009.

jercal10

Reaction score
festiva rep

Festiva rep, thank you for your response about the PTOA.

I wonder how you decided to cast all the Club votes for these 3 candidates??

It hardly seems that this meets the intent of Wis law that developers not control the board.

Oh well, we'll all hope for the best.