• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Palm Desert Resort is best?

belinda.stark

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are taking my elderly parents to Palm Desert in June. It is the first visit for them to California and they are very excited about it. I need to know which Marriott is best for handicapped elderly folks. Mom uses a walker and can not walk very well at all. She enjoys swimming and spa tubs for socializing, but needs to be close. Dad can walk a little better, but at 93, he's a little shakey too. I've been looking at Shadow Ridge and the Marriott Desert Springs Villas. Are either handicapped friendly?

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shadow Ridge is much newer and likely had to comply with ADA requirements when it was constructed. DSV 1 might have made some modifications later on but I do not know. I know Shadow Ridge has handicap rooms and of course there is a shuttle in both places that takes you around the resort. SHadow Ridge has elevators. DSV 1 does not so you would have to have a ground floor if you chose DSV.

Shadow Ridge has a good restaurant right on site which might be convenient if you do not want to go far to dine out.

I think you should call each location and ask specific questions about their handicap facilities.

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the layout of Shadow Ridge would be a better layout for your parents. The whole resort is level walking areas, elevators to 2nd and 3rd floors.

Great pool and spa area.

belinda.stark

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that it will have to be Shadow Ridge based on your recommendations. Thanks so much for the info. One other question, how far is Palm Desert from Los Angeles? Is it possible to plan a day trip there?

mamadot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends where in LA you are going. Orange Co.??? LA proper? But anywhere in LA is probably less than 2 hrs. in non traffic. Carpool lanes great to get where you are going more quickly.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be aware it will be very hot -- over 100 degrees.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at both properties and are quite familiar with them. I'm a little suprised everyone is recommending SR over DSV. We have taken my elderly mother-in-law twice to DSV II and here's why we think it's better for the elderly.

1) If you request the proper buildings, you can have a really fabulous view from your room and get much enjoyment from the vacation without even leaving your unit.
2)Requesting a room close to the pool area also helps.
3) The units at DSV II are larger than at SR, so more spacious inside (1450 sq. feet versus 1200) for the 2 bedroom.

The desert scenery at SR is very pretty and a nice contrast to Kentucky, so they might enjoy that. Personally, since we live in the desert 2 hours from Palm Springs, we enjoy the greener landscaping of DSV II.

I also know the right person to talk to at DSV about room requests, and we get a spectacular view every time. I am taking a day trip to SR in two days and am going to seek out the "right" person to talk to at this resort also about room requests. If you would like to know any of this information please send me a PM and I will share it with you.

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I need to know which Marriott is best for handicapped elderly folks. Mom uses a walker and can not walk very well at all. She enjoys swimming and spa tubs for socializing, but needs to be close. Dad can walk a little better, but at 93, he's a little shakey too. I've been looking at Shadow Ridge and the Marriott Desert Springs Villas. Are either handicapped friendly?

My guess is they are probably comparable for handicapped friendly. I am sure DSV I and II both comply with California laws regarding this and have been updated to reflect the latest requirements. I can say that at DSV I or II there are many pools located through out the resorts. I would guess at least 5. It should be fairly easy to request a first floor bldg next to a pool/spa. At DSV I and II all the building are two stories. There are no elevators because half the units are on the first floor. If you click my link you can see pictures I have taken at DSVI and II to give you some idea of the layout. Maybe others can post pictures of Shadow Ridge for you to compare.

http://www.pbase.com/cp73/desert_springs_villas

belinda.stark

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for all of your advice. The pictures were really nice, Chris, and your family is lovely. It sounds like either of the Marriotts would be fine. I just tend to worry since Mom has such a painful time moving and I really want them to enjoy themselves. I'm still wondering about day trips while we're there. I know that one day we want to take them to see the Pacific Ocean and maybe Hollywood. I'm not sure of what else.