• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Desert California

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at trading into one of these 3 resorts for the summer of 2009. We are coming from Toronto and or could also fly out of Detroit. Can someone tell me which one is the better of the resorts and what would the closest international airport be? We are mainly looking at doing the touristy things and not necessarily golf. Thanks,

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
My pref is DS1 due to the relationship with the JW where DS1 gets full use of the JW facilities while others do not. Suites are 1650 sq ft too.

Why fly out of Detroit ... wastes 4 hrs each way?

Brian

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind we are in London,Ont. and hence we are mid way between Detroit and Toronto. Is Palm Springs airport an international airport or would we fly into San Diego?

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Springs has an airport but it usually cost quite a bit more to fly into there. Another option is to fly into the Ontario California airport than it is about an hour drive to Palm Springs. That is the way I went there last Christmas.

You may want to go to Soutwest airlines website and check out their prices from Detroit to Ontario California.

I am Canadian to and live in Whitby. I always fly out of Buffalo New York instead of Toronto because the flights are so much cheaper. When I went to Palm Springs last year the price to fly out of Toronto would have been double the price we paid flying out of Buffalo. I know you should be able to get great deals out of Detroit as well

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, is New Port Coast also in the same general area or I believe it might be close to L.A.

jasfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at a true summer week, II Getaways are usually really cheap at these properties so it may be worth saving a trade for a more valued week, at least for consideration.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, is New Port Coast also in the same general area or I believe it might be close to L.A.

Newport Beach is south of L.A. between L.A. and San Diego. Ontario California is east of L.A between L.A. and Palm Springs. I think San Diego is about a hour and a half to two hour drive south of LA.

I believe there are 3 major airports in the LA area. They are LAX, John Wayne, and Ontario. Ontario is the closest to Palm Springs. San Diego is the furthest. Don't forget after San Diego the next stop is Mexico. Take a look at a map and you can see what I am talking about.

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Palm Desert

Newport Coast is closer to Los Angeles. It is located in Orange Co and is about 2 hours from Palm Desert. Its also about 10 miles from Santa Ana/John Wayne airport.

As far as airports go here is approximately how far each is from Palm Desert

Palm Springs - your there but this will be the most expensive, few flights
Ontario - about 50 miles (50 minutes) (probably the 2nd least expensive)
Santa Ana/John Wayne - 110 miles (2 hours)
San Diego 120 miles (2.25 hours)
LAX - 140 miles - (2.5 HOURS) this probably the least expensive (3 hours)

These are all approximate estimates assuming no traffic. The day and time of your drive will be a big factor in how long they take. They are all doable.

HOpe this helps

SJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like DSI for reasons stated before Access to JW and Spa. If you fly out of Detroit check Spirit Airlines, it's a discount airlines that fly into LAX.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Westin Mission Hills in Rancho Mirage right now. The Palm Springs Airport is about 15 minutes away. Are you aware that it will be well over 100 degrees here and alot of restaurants, stores are starting to close during their summers? If you have specific tours in mind, I suggest you call them to see if they will be open in June.

Our favorite resort is Desert Springs Villas I also. We own both Westin and Marriott. Westin is somewhat isolated from stores, although there is alot of building going on right now!

bwenzel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally love Shadow Ridge and have been there twice, the most recent stay was in October.

Also, I have flown directly into Palm Springs both times paying between $250.00 and $275.00 each time from San Antonio connecting in Dallas. That is not a bad price at all and because the airport is small, no waiting in lines!:D

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you really are looking to trade into here during the summer, I would wait and check out the getaways for the timeframe you are looking at. Summertime at Palm Desert is extremely hot so it is technically low season there and some here have said they got a week there over the summer for $299 for a 2bd.

Winterkill

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are coming in June you may want to consider Marriott Newport Coast...beautiful resort, ocean view, much more moderate temps. Palm Desert will be 110 degrees in June. I agree with MDS Villas I as the best choice. We always fly into San Diego and drive up...much cheaper to fly into San Diego and only about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive.

JMSH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all very much I think we will try for Newport Coast as I agree Summer in the desert would be too hot.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doubt you would get a summer week at Newport Coast -- only the desert locations!!!

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you put in your request 1 year out for Newport, you never know. You can get a getaway to the desert in June anytime for 299-399, so if you want to stay two weeks, if you trade into Newport you can add a desert week and get a long vacation in CA.

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shadow Ridge for kids

The Shadow Ridge resort in Palm Desert has the best pool area if you have kids. Yes, it is very hot in the summer, but you can still have a great family vacation. We spent two weeks at the beginning of Sept. this past year with our two kids and had a wonderful time. The getaway prices you can't beat, so save your trade. Newport Coast would be very hard to get into, but there are other So. Cal. timeshares to consdier!

Best of luck,
Janna

SJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is example of II getaways to Palm Desert during summer!! I saw this today and cut & paste from their site.

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II • MPD
Palm Desert , CA , USA
Resort Details & Photos

Gold
Member Interval
Member Average Nightly
Rate From
Jun 05 2008 - Jun 12 2008 0 2 4 024 $384.00 $409.00 $54.86
Jun 05 2008 - Jun 12 2008 1 4 4 144 $434.00 $459.00 $62.00
Jun 05 2008 - Jun 12 2008 2 6 8 268 $554.00 $579.00 $79.14
See More Dates Nightly rates are based on per week basis.
All prices are shown in US DOLLARS.
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I • MDS

JimIg23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, the prices have risen. I booked this week as a getaway for about $140cheaper in November.

Marriott's Shadow Ridge• MRD
Jun 29 2008 - Jul 06 2008 2 bedroom $504.00

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I hope it's ok to add to your thread due to Palm Springs and TS choices.

I am headed to Maui from Boston in May and also thought about spending 3 full days in Palm Springs on the return flight. We may book two seperate flights for this trip rather than a multi leg. I am going to check SWA from PVD to Ontario. Then we could fly from LAX to Maui.

I have been playing around with prices and airport codes myself so thanks for the added airport Ontario info and miles to PS.

I also wondered whether we should stay at Westin Mirage, Shadow Ridge or Desert Springs I or II. It's just the two of us. They do not seem to be far apart. Why chose one over the other?

We have been to LA and San Diego before so I thought Palm Springs would be different for us to see from our normal beach vacations.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
pcgirl -- do you mind 110 degree weather? The three resorts you mentioned (the first one is really Westin Mission Hills) are comparable but Shadow Ridge and Desert Springs are closer to more activities and actually offer much more activities. We just returned from Mission Hills after our week there. It is quiet and much smaller.

ShippL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like DSI for reasons stated before Access to JW and Spa. If you fly out of Detroit check Spirit Airlines, it's a discount airlines that fly into LAX.
What are the JW facilities that are available to folks at the Villas? Restaurants? Shops?
We're planning to exchange into the Villas or Shadow Ridge Jan 09. Looking to golf, veg. Will it be warm enough to use the pools first week of Jan?