• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

AOL vs NetZero

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We now have High Speed Internet at both houses and trying to decide if we keep AOL or switch to Net Zero. I can get both for the same price, ie. around $10.00 per month. I use dail up at timeshares that do not have Wireless or other high speed Internet and when I go visit my Mother and other relatives. What is your opinion on the two? We have had AOL for years and couldn't consider switching and keeping our AOL account and now we can switch and still access our AOL email.

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check what dial-up numbers they have around the country. I recently stayed at a place where I could not get a local number for Netzero and would have had to go with long distance calling had the phone allowed it (it didn't). I cursed myself for not having taken the precaution of carrying around one of those free AOL cds to see if they had a local number. BTW, for those of you who don't go back far enough in internet, the service was called Netzero because it was free. There were a lot of free services competing for customers and I had three or four on my computer at one time. With broadband isp services becoming more common, I think the dial-ups are headed back that way.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
There a literally HUNDREDS of internet providers out there that use one or more of several large networks of nationwide/international access numbers. Many are priced in the $5 - $10 per month range.

Be sure to get one that allows you to access via a plain Dial Up Network (DUN) connection. Avoid those that require you to use their own proprietary dialer and/or browser.

There are several sites devoted to rating and comparing dialup ISPs. Here are several:

http://www.freedomlist.com/
http://www.myispfinder.com/
http://www.findanisp.com/
http://www.thelist.com/

I've been using www.poetworld.net for several years as a backup to my broadband and for use when on the road. They have an excellent array of local access numbers. I chose them based on excellent reviews and comments on the above sites, and they have been very good. $7.95/mo.

I would NOT recommend "carrying around one of those free AOL cds". AOL is extremely invasive to your system and getting it all cleaned out later is very difficult for the casual computer user. Also, the 'net is full of people complaining that they can't get AOL to stop billing them after their 'free' period expires.

Bill4728

Reaction score
If you have high speed internet thru or cable or phone company, you can keep your AOL email address for free. AOL has info on the website about their new FREE AOL.

The problem of what to do when your on the road is more difficult. Dial up is so slow, I just don't use it and wait till I can get a high speed connection.

TheDuke

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dial-UP ISP

AS a previous poster noted there are many low cost dialup services. I have been using Toast.net for quite a while now with excellent experience and rate.

TheDuke

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
TheDuke said:
AS a previous poster noted there are many low cost dialup services. I have been using Toast.net for quite a while now with excellent experience and rate.

TheDuke

Toast.net was my ISP from '97 til '01 or so. I still use them for my webspace (see links in my sig block below) and email server in a bring-your-own-internet-access sort of arrangement. They always provided excellent service and perhaps the best technical support I've experienced from any company of any kind. The only reason I left them as my ISP was broadband cable finally became available in my area.

In the last year or so they've removed the connection hour limits from their $9.95/mo package ($2/mo less if you pay by the year). I'm quite likely to go back to them for my backup/travel dialup service - current pricing is less than I'm currently paying for my toast.net webspace/email plus poetworld.net.