• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of buying an EOY contract-Any disadvantages? Advice appreciated.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
I'm thinking of buying my first Wyndham contract (resale and at least 231K pts) & have been doing a lot of reading. If I buy I'd like to buy at one of the 5 Hawaii properties that are part of the Outrigger Resort Club. See pages 347> here: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory0910/ If I buy at Bali Kai V., for example, I'd be able to reserve at the other 4 resorts (KHR, Royal Sea Cliff, Mauna Loa Village & Waikiki Beach Walk) at 12 months out and at the Bali Kai V. 13 months out.

1. If the contract is an EOY-Odd, starting in 2017, I think I could reserve a Jan/Feb 2017 week as soon as the contract is in my name, yes? Assuming the days are available of course.

2. My plan is to use all the pts in Jan/Feb of each odd year. Is it reasonable to expect a Jan/Feb week to be available in Hawaii 12 months out?

3. If I don't use all the pts in my use year I can put them in the Credit Pool or deposit with RCI. Right? What's the minimum RCI will accept? 77K?

4. Any disadvantage to buying an EOY contract?

All advice appreciated. :)

Last edited:

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Bali Hai is an excellent choice if you're looking for cheap maintenance fees.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying my first Wyndham contract (resale and at least 231K pts) & have been doing a lot of reading. If I buy I'd like to buy at one of the 5 Hawaii properties that are part of the Outrigger Resort Club. See pages 347> here: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/wyndham/memberdirectory0910/ If I buy at Bali Kai V., for example, I'd be able to reserve at the other 4 resorts (KHR, Royal Sea Cliff, Mauna Loa Village & Waikiki Beach Walk) at 12 months out and at the Bali Kai V. 13 months out.

1. If the contract is an EOY-Odd, starting in 2017, I think I could reserve a Jan/Feb 2017 week as soon as the contract is in my name, yes? Assuming the days are available of course.

2. My plan is to use all the pts in Jan/Feb of each odd year. Is it reasonable to expect a Jan/Feb week to be available in Hawaii 12 months out?

3. If I don't use all the pts in my use year I can put them in the Credit Pool or deposit with RCI. Right? What's the minimum RCI will accept? 77K?

4. Any disadvantage to buying an EOY contract?

All advice appreciated. :)

It is possible, and if you can't get an accommodation for next Jan/Feb, you can credit pool the points for future use within up to 3 years, but be advised you'll lose your reservation priority when you do this.

You should also know that Wyndham takes a significant amount of time to transfer a contract, 3-4 months, and once it is transferred, they may not communicate to you that your points are available for weeks longer. Start calling to check on the transfer at about 3 months. At 4 months, if a contract is signed by both parties, deeded to your name, and submitted to Wyndham with the appropriate fees today, it will be the middle of July before you can see what is available in Jan/Feb. And since nothting is started, you should add at least a month to that for contracts and deed.

I can see availability for January and February today, even within the 10 month open reservation period the first week of Jan (and all of December including Christmas Week).

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is possible, and if you can't get an accommodation for next Jan/Feb, you can credit pool the points for future use within up to 3 years, but be advised you'll lose your reservation priority when you do this.

You should also know that Wyndham takes a significant amount of time to transfer a contract, 3-4 months, and once it is transferred, they may not communicate to you that your points are available for weeks longer. Start calling to check on the transfer at about 3 months. At 4 months, if a contract is signed by both parties, deeded to your name, and submitted to Wyndham with the appropriate fees today, it will be the middle of July before you can see what is available in Jan/Feb. And since nothing is started, you should add at least a month to that for contracts and deed.

I can see availability for January and February today, even within the 10 month open reservation period the first week of Jan (and all of December including Christmas Week).

Thanks for the advice Ty1on. I've noticed that you are quite a big help on the boards and as a former Mod. I appreciate that.

And thanks for checking availability. :clap:

? So when you CP your points you can only ck. for rez. a max. of 10 mo. out? Sounds like that wouldn't be a problem at KHR.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 reasons to buy points deeded at one resort or another and they are the advanced reservation priority and the maintenance fees.

You get both with the same purchase Bali Hai has a low maintenance fee rate and its where you want to vacation.. win/win.. Id go for it

Be aware that there are Bali Hai converted weeks and Bali Hai UDI deeds. and they work differently when it comes to ARP...It shouldnt be that different but it is

Because Bali Hai is a floating weeks resort you should be able to use the points from a converted floating week to make any reservation you want in the ARP period, but what I have found is that the folks on the phone will want to restrict you to exactly what your deed says

So long story short, Id look for a EOY odd UDI

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Ty1on. I've noticed that you are quite a big help on the boards and as a former Mod. I appreciate that.

? So when you CP your points you can only ck. for rez. a max. of 10 mo. out? Sounds like that wouldn't be a problem at KHR.

Ron can probably answer that better than me. If you have ARP there, I would think you could see the availability at 13 months even if you can't reserve, but I don't know for sure. At any rate, Jan/Feb 2017 is already within 13 months and time marches on, so it's moot.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

When I'm wrong I'm no help at all :wave::ignore:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are only 2 reasons to buy points deeded at one resort or another and they are the advanced reservation priority and the maintenance fees.

You get both with the same purchase Bali Hai has a low maintenance fee rate and its where upu want to vacation.. win/win.. Id go for it

Be aware that there are Bali Hai converted weeks and Bali Hai UDI deeds. and they work differently when it comes to ARP...It shouldnt but it does.

Because Bali Hai ids a floating weeks resort you should be able to use the points from a floating week to make any reservation you want in the ARP period, but what I have found is that the folks on the phone will want to restrict you to exactly what your deed says

So long story short, Id look for a EOY odd UDI

What is the difference between a UDI and converted week at Bali Hai in regard to ARP, exactly? (My highlighting).

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
What is the difference between a UDI and converted week at Bali Hai in regard to ARP, exactly? (My highlighting).

In general, a converted week only has ARP for the actual deeded week and unit (since most converted weeks were originally fixed).

As Ron said, because Bali Hai is a floating weeks resort (and there aren't many like that converted) you should be able to use the points from a floating week to make any reservation you want in the ARP period. In his experience the folks on the phone will want to restrict you to exactly what your deed says like a converted fixed week.

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In general, a converted week only has ARP for the actual deeded week and unit (since most converted weeks were originally fixed).

As Ron said, because Bali Hai is a floating weeks resort (and there aren't many like that converted) you should be able to use the points from a floating week to make any reservation you want in the ARP period. In his experience the folks on the phone will want to restrict you to exactly what your deed says like a converted fixed week.

Thanks, Scott. But isn't a new deed generated when a week is converted to points? That would clear things up I'd think.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Thanks, Scott. But isn't a new deed generated when a week is converted to points? That would clear things up I'd think.

No, there's not actually a new deed. They just assign the points to the account and charge the appropriate club fees.

I'm in the process of getting a converted week at another resort, and the deed makes no mention of the points. You can also drop out of the points program and revert it if you so choose (or if you fail to pay the maintenance fees).

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't ever remember reading that any Outrigger part of Wyndham contracts transfer on resale.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't ever remember reading that any Outrigger part of Wyndham contracts transfer on resale.

Read pages 347>348 in the directory I linked to in my OP. It says that Club Wyndham Plus members who own 5 specific resorts in HI are members of ORC. It doesn't say anything about where or how you got the resort. I'm sure there must be some "fine print" somewhere but I couldn't see it. :wall:

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
Read pages 347>348 in the directory I linked to in my OP. It says that Club Wyndham Plus members who own 5 specific resorts in HI are members of ORC. It doesn't say anything about where or how you got the resort. I'm sure there must be some "fine print" somewhere but I couldn't see it. :wall:

I believe that is a feature of a developer purchase and does not transfer on resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

exactly right, Just my experience, but not at Bali Hai. I own converted fixed weeks at another resort and that was my experience there

By the way there is a Bali Hai, 308k eoy odd on ebay right now. I asked if it is a converted fixed week or a udi . His answer is that its a converted fixed week

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe that is a feature of a developer purchase and does not transfer on resale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

exactly right, Just my experience, but not at Bali Hai. I own converted fixed weeks at another resort and that was my experience there

By the way there is a Bali Hai, 308k eoy odd on ebay right now. I asked if it is a converted fixed week or a udi . His answer is that its a converted fixed week

Thanks to both of you. That means I would have to wait until 10 months out to reserve my stay? I'm retired and can travel any time so that probably won't be an issue.

OutSkiing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Midtown 45, Bali Hai, Margaritaville

This thread discusses Outrigger rules including some contract wording from jebloomquist:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133367

The thought in that thread was that Outrigger APR provision is attached to the property and not the account so the 12 month provision should be available to resale contracts. I am waiting on a Bali Hai resale contract to clear through Wyndham my self so I have not been able to test this theory yet. Has anyone else?

On the other hand I don't know if the above referened addendum was specifically granted as part of a direct purchase or if it is a general provision attached to the properties. Doesn't matter that much to me but would love to know.

A similar 'home resort' provision exists at Myrtle Beach where owning at one resort gives 13 month APR at all Myrtle resorts and I have found it to be true on resale there.

Bob

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A similar 'home resort' provision exists at Myrtle Beach where owning at one resort gives 13 month APR at all Myrtle resorts and I have found it to be true on resale there.

Bob

Bob,

The ARP situation at Myrtle Beach resorts is unique ... ie NOTHING like that happens between the 4 Pompano Beach area resorts OR the 3 'beachy' resorts at Pompano Beach.

Nor is there ANY regional ARP for a Westwinds Resort's converted fixed week at Myrtle Beach other than the underlying week ... but I COULD BE WRONG.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Success

Just bought a Bali Hai Villas, EOY-odd, on ebay. 168K pts. Bid, transfer & closing fees ~$855. I'm looking forward to using these pts and hope to buy another small contract sometime in the future. Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. I'm sure there will be more. :)