• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Consumer Reports Timeshares Mar 2016 p49 [merged]

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They claim the breakeven point in renting vs buying occurs at the end of the thirteenth year.

Article biased toward buying from the Developer rather than "used".

TUG not even mentioned only Redweek for rentals.

Sterling

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Time to organize a bunch of letters to the editor? Or is the article online where we can post comments?

Kurt

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
They claim the breakeven point in renting vs buying occurs at the end of the thirteenth year.

Article biased toward buying from the Developer rather than "used".

TUG not even mentioned only Redweek for rentals.

I haven't seen the article, apparently inadequately researched, but I'm already curious --- does the article even acknowledge the existence of the resale market and its' drastically lower "buy in" cost, or does it instead just take the ARDA approach of consistently and completely failing to acknowledge that a resale market even exists?

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Even worse, they endorsed the Timeshare Exit Team…

It does talk about Redweek, and "slash your costs on the secondhand market," but it promotes title insurance for resales.

Basically, you could tell the writer knew nothing about timeshares, and got his info. from people who were not going to promote the resale market.

Last edited:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't yet seen the article, seemingly inadequately researched, but I'm already curious --- does the article even acknowledge the existence of the resale market and its' drastically lower "buy in" prices, or does it instead just take the ARDA approach of consistent and complete lack of acknowledgement of any resale market)? :shrug:

The funny thing is that they mention the salvage value "if someone wanted out and could find a resale buyer," but failed to give consideration to starting out as a resale buyer (in the breakeven article).

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. Un- or at best little educated writer. Calling the resale market, 'second hand' is a tipoff. ALL timeshares are used, hence second hand- even those bought from the developer.

I dropped my CR subscription some years ago, as I simply don't but nearly as much 'stuff' as I used to. When it comes time for a major purchase, there are plenty of buying guides around.

Endorsing an upfront fee timeshare disposal outfit shows where this writer got misinformed.

Just what's needed. More misinformation.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw no mention of said company in the article..perhaps it was just a google ad inserted somewhere?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once I got smart and sold my 4 Developer Weeks (at a small profit I might add) I minimized cost of the 20-25 Weeks I bought (and sold or otherwise disposed of) over the years. My parameters were (1) buy resale; (2) pay $1,000 or less for the Week; (3) MF of $500 or less; (4) buy only Fixed Week, Fixed Unit in places where I would use them most of the time; and (5) never requested estoppels but rather did my own Due Diligence. I got tons of use out of these Weeks and like most I lost a few bucks when I divested them but because of their purchase prices it wasn't much.

George

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read the article. No mention of TSET or Reedweek or TUG. Is it being edited as the author gets corrected?

In the "second-hand" article, he quoted Randy Conrads of Redweek.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just read the article. No mention of TSET or Reedweek or TUG. Is it being edited as the author gets corrected?

Will, this article appear in the final printed version of CR for the Month of March 2016?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Will, this article appear in the final printed version of CR for the Month of March 2016?

I am referring to the hard copy of the article in the magazine. The online version is not the same. I received the magazine yesterday.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am referring to the hard copy of the article in the magazine. The online version is not the same. I received the magazine yesterday.

Thanks, we are on vacation and I did not bring my passwod to login to CR.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Consumer Reports Timeshare Article

Moved to Buying, Selling, Renting.

Last edited:

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
It says
"Photo: Disney Vacation Club, Walt Disney World Resort Hotels"
So it's clearly one of the Disney ones.

Humorously, those are actually themed Port Orleans rooms (which is not actually a DVC resort at all).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just posted about this in the lounge. I will copy and paste to here.

Consumer Reports Timeshare Article
TIMESHARES COME OF AGE

MARCH 2016 ISSUE

Just going through my magazine and there is a positive article regarding time sharing and how it is a "savvy vacation strategy".

Medium age of new owners is 39, with half having children. Medium age of all owners is 51.

I do not subscribe to the online edition, so I can't give you a link.

The one thing that always annoys me about these articles is that they always describe fixed weeks as being nonexchangeable, which of course, is not true.

The article also shows how ownership is a better value over time as compared with vacationing every year in hotels and so forth.

They mention how to not buy on impulse and to sleep on it, etc. They also talk about rescission periods.

They also have a section about slashing costs in the resale market. and mention renting as well.

They also mention how when it is time to get rid of them not to expect your money back, that the enjoyment was from the usage. They do mention Timeshare Exit team, but explain the costs involved with that.

I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting to read about the pitfalls of timeshares and how to stay away from them, but this article was not like that at all.

Overall a pretty good article.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I do agree- they, of course, should have mentioned TUG. :shrug:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Even worse, they endorsed the Timeshare Exit Team…

It does talk about Redweek, and "slash your costs on the secondhand market," but it promotes title insurance for resales.

Basically, you could tell the writer knew nothing about timeshares, and got his info. from people who were not going to promote the resale market.

I didn't get the impression they were endorsing Timeshare Exit Team.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Yes- It is in the magazine.