• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2015] Marriott to acquire Starwood hotels

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
What does this mean for you?

While the deal is absolutely fantastic news for Marriott Rewards members, who will eventually have access to Starwood’s arguably higher-end portfolio, the implications aren’t so positive for the Starwood Preferred Guest program — and its 21 million members. SPG is significantly more rewarding than Marriott Rewards, which only last month announced plans to up its game a bit in order to catch up with the competition.

We can of course hope for Marriott to adopt the SPG program, but with fewer than half the members of Marriott Rewards, that certainly isn’t likely. And there is some hope that Marriott could operate the Starwood Preferred Guest program alongside its own, as IHG is currently doing with Kimpton, though with less competition in the lodging industry there may be little incentive to do so in the long term.

Read more: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/marriott-to-acquire-starwood-hotels/#ixzz3rfASCuxl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Interesting news. I can't imagine that they'll operate two different loyalty programs, so I'm glad that I haven't stockpiled SPs. I'll probably be cancelling my SPG AMEX in favor of a card that gives more favorable earnings power to leisure travelers.

I'm still optimistic that the SVO internal exchange system (e.g. SOs) will remain relatively intact for a few years, but it'll be interesting to see how they're going to work out an SO->MR conversion.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I'm wondering how they'll map the elite status. Of course one can only speculate at this time. Starwood Gold is certainly very valuable (at least in my travels) but I doubt they would map to Marriott Gold, same with Platinum. Marriott Silver can be obtained fairly easily through their Chase credit card and I'd hate to see gold members get downgraded to silver.

I wonder how this will change the developer pitches of SPG gold. Buy now and lock it in :hysterical:

Ditto to a previous post, all with hopes they keep SPG, but as with anything publicly traded, the point is not to create value for the consumer, rather the shareholder.

Last edited:

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this make HRA even more of an odd-duck than before? Or does it make it simpler? I can't get my head around it....

HRA was only semi-Starwood, and the only non-Starwood branded TS in the SVO system. Now the resort that HRA has deeded access to (Atlantis) is Marriott affiliated, though still owned by a private equity real estate company (Brookfield). Starwood resort brands will be within the Marriott portfolio, but HRA will be Interval affiliated.

Is HRA now the 'Kevin Bacon' of the resort version of six-degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wow, this is not what I expected or wanted. I'm making a bunch of reservations today just in case...and I suggest you do the same (can always cancel). I chose SPG years ago on purpose since it had a more valuable redemption and earning ratio vs Marriott. The game is changing!

Sent from my iPad

amundson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2BR, WKV 1BR
Interesting news. I somewhat feel as though the spinoff of the timeshare was in preparation for and helped enable this merger with Marriott. This is conjecture on my part.

Also, some of the properties are adjacent to a Westin hotel, which was interesting with the spin off, but now is more interesting with the purchase by Marriott and possible branding changes. My assumption is that the Westin Brand and the relationships in those locations between the timeshare units and the hotels will continue.

Going forward, I wonder if this makes it less likely that timeshare properties will intermingle with hotel properties. Somehow, this whole things seems to make it less desirable to be a timeshare owner.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has totally caught me off guard.

Last year, it was US Airways merger that sucked hard......Now Starwood being bought by Marriott really can't be a good thing for me.

Now what to do with my 200,000 starpoints?

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This has totally caught me off guard.

Last year, it was US Airways merger that sucked hard......Now Starwood being bought by Marriott really can't be a good thing for me.

Now what to do with my 200,000 starpoints?
Use then asap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use then asap

Biggest problem with that is as a timeshare owner, many things are planned far out.

Christmas booked, Easter booked, Memorial Day weekend booked, 2 weeks at ST John booked, Labor Day booked, October Cruise/Disney booked, Christmas booked.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We don't use SP's for hotel stays - would you recommend transferring them to our favorite airline?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FWIW, here is what is posted on SPG.com:

"Today we’re excited to share the news that Starwood Hotels & Resorts will join together with Marriott International to create the world’s largest hotel company. For our Starwood Preferred Guest® (SPG®) members, this will mean even more choices in even more places, giving you access to 1.1 million rooms across 5,500 hotels and resorts in more than 100 countries.

We will work to bring you the very best of SPG and Marriott Rewards®, two of the most rewarding loyalty programs in our industry. Our members are at the core of everything we do, and that will not change.

Today is the first day of a long journey as we combine our two companies. For now, we remain separate, and there is no change to your SPG program status, your Starpoints® or your existing reservations. You will continue to earn Starpoints and elite stay/night credit for your stays, as well as bonus Starpoints for any promotions in which you are participating. There is no change to how you manage your SPG account or book reservations.

Over the coming months, as we have more to share, we’ll be sure to reach out to you by email, at spg.com and via twitter (@spg). In the meantime, we remain at your service wherever you need us — whether in our hotels, at spg.com, on the SPG mobile app or via our Customer Contact Centers.

Thank you for sharing your travels with us.
Chris Holdren
Senior Vice President, Starwood Preferred Guest"

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Biggest problem with that is as a timeshare owner, many things are planned far out.

Christmas booked, Easter booked, Memorial Day weekend booked, 2 weeks at ST John booked, Labor Day booked, October Cruise/Disney booked, Christmas booked.

Are your flights already booked? SPs are actually pretty useful for booking flights, too.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Are your flights already booked? SPs are actually pretty useful for booking flights, too.

I forget, who pays for the 5000 pts bonus when you transfer 20K to airline miles, AMEX or Starwood?

This sale news makes the current SVN promotion offer to sell SPG pts much less appealing.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you who say Marriott is inferior to Starwood, you are likely to be thinking of the Courtyards and Residence Inns. JW Marriotts are on par with Westins. In my business travel life, I loved JW Marriotts. I just don't find their reqards program as rewarding as Starwood's.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Marriott to buy Starwood

CNBC -- Marriott International will buy Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide for $12.2 billion to create the world's largest hotel chain with top brands including Sheraton, Ritz Carlton and the Autograph Collection.

The combined company will own or franchise more than 5,500 hotels with 1.1 million rooms worldwide and give Marriott greater presence in markets such as Europe, Latin America and Asia including India and China.

Marriott currently has three-quarters of its rooms in the United States. Starwood, which also owns St. Regis and Aloft hotel brands, gets nearly two-thirds of its revenue from outside the country.

Starwood had essentially put itself up for sale in April, when it said it was considering strategic alternatives, taking about 14 percent off its stock up to Friday's close.

The company, which had a market value of $12.67 billion as of Friday, had reached out to InterContinental Hotels Group, Wyndham Worldwide and sovereign wealth funds for a possible deal since July, sources had told Reuters.

Last edited by a moderator:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I don't think this is going to change much, if anything, for us timeshare owners. Marriott timeshares are owned by MVC and Starwood (soon to be Vistana) will be owned by Interval. I don't see how anything can be combined there unless Interval buys MVC also. They already purchased Hyatt. I actually wouldn't mind Marriott managing HRC. I'd like to see some Marriott management expertise there since it never has risen to Starwood quality anyway.

shade

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I arranged hotels in Madrid and Valencia for a October '16 trip to Spain. The Westin in each location was a great deal for cash and points. This morning used my remaining Starpoints for an additional room at Westin Madrid for my daughter and mother-in-law. I have always found wonderful value for Starpoints in Europe. Much better than airline transfers.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think this is going to change much, if anything, for us timeshare owners.

I agree, especially in the short term. The exception may be Elite Owners who valued the connection between the hotel and timeshare wings.

mnmrsjjp

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they make too many changes they will anger the SPG folks and loose a lot of business. If they combine programs and then charge higher point values for the Starwood Hotels as they do for Marriott they will also lose a lot of customers. This was not good news. Does anyone know if one can get elite gold status just by the amount charged for Marriott or does it require room stays?

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
I wonder how this will affect starpoint conversions from timeshare weeks and other SPG participation via SVN. Lifetime SPG platinum for 5 star elite members? Enrollment in gold program for all members?

I am happy, however, about the greater selection of properties we will have on the hotel side. At least domestically, I know I have personally been a bit limited in certain locations in the past due to a lack of Starwood properties.