• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

E-BAY Purchase for CWA - I need help, please

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying CWA on E-bay. This would be my 1st purchase into Wyndham. I’m a little too excited b/c I finally found the exact point amount I was looking for.

The Auction ends in 4 days, and was wondering what questions should I be asking? I know there some type of document out there I should be asking for, but I don’t remember the name of it.
A concern that I have is that the seller only has 26 items sold under his account. Not sure if he’s reliable of not, and he states there is a 3% service charge for credit card purchases. Is this a red flag? Is it b/c we cannot contest the money we send then?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should ask for an estoppel letter and it should have the Wyndham letterhead. I received my first one that didn't have the Wyndham letterhead, but the deal still worked out ok.

I paid for two with an online bank check and one with a personal check.

There's no way of knowing how many deals were successful with a seller on ebay because Wyndham usually closes after feedback can be left. Anyway, there's always a risk on ebay. Don't bid more than you can afford to lose.

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have asked that he send that to me. I have checked Redweek.com, but there's no easy way to find CWA available on there. It looks like just all Resort deeds, and TUG is no easier to search :(

I'm sure there are some other things I should be watching out for???? :ponder:

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should ask for an estoppel letter and it should have the Wyndham letterhead. I received my first one that didn't have the Wyndham letterhead, but the deal still worked out ok.

I paid for two with an online bank check and one with a personal check.

There's no way of knowing how many deals were successful with a seller on ebay because Wyndham usually closes after feedback can be left. Anyway, there's always a risk on ebay. Don't bid more than you can afford to lose.

Here is the seller's response when I asked for the estoppel letter:

"I called wyndham and got all the information verbally. 2015 are available. and the property is in good standing. it is ready to go. we don’t order the account information letters. We just call wyndham directly and have them confirm the account. so what is listed is accurate. "

What do you think?
Thanks,
Sarah

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have asked that he send that to me. I have checked Redweek.com, but there's no easy way to find CWA available on there. It looks like just all Resort deeds, and TUG is no easier to search :(

I'm sure there are some other things I should be watching out for???? :ponder:

You can search the seller's username here to see if there is any feedback.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know exactly which listing you are looking at.

There is something wrong with the listing. The maintenance fee listed is not correct for 210K CWA points.

I do not recognize the seller.

The response provided regarding the estoppel is not atypical; however, each owner is allowed to request an "ownership summary detail" (i.e., estoppel) once per year for each contract in their account, so if they are acting as a POC for the owner, they should ask the owner to request this from Wyndham and provide you a copy. If they own it outright, they should be able to request this from Wyndham and provide it to you as well.

They often refer to an estoppel fee, but that is only if they have already used the free one that is available once per year.

Another question to ask on this listing: it states Wyndham Transfer fee of $299, then says closing costs paid by SELLER. So you want to clarify whether they are paying the Wyndham transfer fee, or expecting the buyer to pay the $299 transfer fee. In many cases where the seller is paying the closing cost, they also pay the transfer fee.

You will also need to ensure that the maintenance fees are kept current through transfer of the ownership, and to confirm there are no encumbrances, liens, past due fees, etc. I was recently stung with a contract that transferred with almost $3,000 of back fees associated to it.

I say this not to make it sound difficult or challenging, just want to let you know of the things you'll want to clarify before pursuing.

Good luck! I hope you are able to find what you're looking for. Just know that if it's not this one, another will become available. This may actually be a pretty good time to buy, as noted in this thread:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231942

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also look up the ebayers handle here in the forum to see if there have been any threads about them.

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also look up the ebayers handle here in the forum to see if there have been any threads about them.

I searched and didn't see anything for cez_25

It just makes me a little leery, but these are the exact points I would like to own without buying multiple auctions.

Sarah

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately, even the reputable ebay sellers change handles frequently (or have multiple ebay IDs associated to different brokers that work for the resellers.) Sometimes the only way to tell that a new ebay handle is associated to a former ebay ID is the obvious copy of the former format of the listing.

For example, CJ Timeshares, a long-time reputable ebay reseller, changed to "Discount Timeshares" about a year ago, and they have had a number of different handles. Others cycle through ebay IDs as well. Many of the currently listed Wyndham timeshares are listed by ebay IDs that are relatively new, but may be affiliated to long-time resellers.

What would be interesting is if anyone has compiled a list of the actual brokers and closing companies mapped to ebay IDs. For example, "timeshares4u" - 80 feedback, just created July 2014. Based on the number of timeshares sold, they didn't just suddenly "start up". But what other ebay handles did they sell under, and who is the broker/seller and the closing company? Everything else being equal, I favor those that have hung around and kept the same handle for a long time such as Seanstimeshares, sumdayvacations, timeshare_resales (RPMI), etc. (not intended to be all-inclusive list) because they have more at stake to make sure you are satisfied and are willing to stake their reputation over the long haul based on fulfilling expectations. Doesn't mean they always get it right; but when they don't, they are more likely to take ownership and find a way to make it right.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
I searched and didn't see anything for cez_25

It just makes me a little leery, but these are the exact points I would like to own without buying multiple auctions.

Sarah

It appears that his feedback was for art items, nothing recent. All of a sudden he has 3 timeshares listed.

I don't like his attitude concerning the estoppel. A new timeshare seller should be more accommodating plus the maintenance fee is much too low.

IMO, $1000+ is too much to risk with him.

irisheaven

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

I passed on this Auction......The seller wouldn't request the estoppel letter, and never called me so that we may do a conference call with the resort. Too many red flags for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice. You all are the BEST!!!! :banana::clap::whoopie::clap::banana:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
UPDATE:

I passed on this Auction......The seller wouldn't request the estoppel letter, and never called me so that we may do a conference call with the resort. Too many red flags for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice. You all are the BEST!!!! :banana::clap::whoopie::clap::banana:

I think you did the right thing….If you see that many red flags, its always better to move on as another great deal will come along….

Linden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Club Wyndham Access, Quarter House New Orleans
Sumday vacations has a 233,000 Access points forsale on there website right now.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the option to pay with a credit card, that is the route I would go even if there is a fee. If you do not have the paperwork from Wyndham just prior to the credit card dispute date, which is 60 days from purchase, then dispute the charge. At that point it is on record and it is up to the sell to make it right or be refunded.