• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] Wkorv or wkorn

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is a comparison: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521693&postcount=13

There are only 4 items, that I think are material:

1) WKORV-S studios have no lanais

2) WKORV-N does not have conventional ovens - they are convection/microwave ovens

3) WKORV-N has no parking lot views - the back side of building 4 in the South phase faces the parking lot (Island View)

4) WKORV-S has far superior Ocean Front Views - many of the OF units in the north should have been designated Ocean View - not Ocean Front.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
WKORV-S rooms connect through a funny "lobby" for the suite; excellent for two couples, but not-so-good for small children who will seem very far away; WKORV-N rooms connect through a door between the living room and the studio, much like two hotel rooms that connect.

WKORV-S dining table holds six; WKORV-N dining table holds four.

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Thank you. We are interested to buy there now because we know we will want to go there every odd year and wanted to get a week in maui to go with our week in Oahu. I am kinda stock making decision as to which building i want to look into. Don't even know where to start. Marriott or Westin. I know we really love WOKRN when we stayed there in 2011.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would not buy Island View - the MF is just the same as Ocean View. If you are OK with Island View, just buy a mandatory deed at SVV and trade in every other year, for a fraction of the cost.

I also would not buy a 1 bdm., because the MF is so high you might as well buy a 2 bdm. No one posted the 1-bdm. MF for 2015, but in 2014, this was the comparison:

WKORV-S: 1 bdm = $1,792 + $139
WKORV-S: 2 bdm = $2,124 + $139

Also, be aware that the North Phase has higher MF's than the South Phase:

2015: South 2 Bd. - $2,192 + $139

2015: North 2 Bd. - $2,477 + $139

And "Deluxe units" have higher MF's - they are larger, but the MF is disproportionate to the increase insize:

2015: WKORV-S - Deluxe - $3,030 + $139

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
I would not buy Island View - the MF is just the same as Ocean View. If you are OK with Island View, just buy a mandatory deed at SVV and trade in every other year, for a fraction of the cost.

I also would not buy a 1 bdm., because the MF is so high you might as well buy a 2 bdm. No one posted the 1-bdm. MF for 2015, but in 2014, this was the comparison:

WKORV-S: 1 bdm = $1,792 + $139
WKORV-S: 2 bdm = $2,124 + $139

Also, be aware that the North Phase has higher MF's than the South Phase:

2015: South 2 Bd. - $2,192 + $139

2015: North 2 Bd. - $2,477 + $139

And "Deluxe units" have higher MF's - they are larger, but the MF is disproportionate to the increase insize:

2015: WKORV-S - Deluxe - $3,030 + $139

Thank you, we only wanted to if buying 2BR LO OV EOY ODD. This is what we have in mind. At the same time I wish someone who has both Marriott and Starwood in Maui can share their thoughts about this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should post on the Marriott forum. One of the major differences with Marriott is that the older phase consists of renovated hotel rooms with a kitchenette. Only the two new towers which are more expensive, have full kitchens. I also think the WKORV end of the beach is quieter.

MOC Kitchenette:

caption.jpg

Westin Kitchen:

wkrovnDining2.jpg

MOC original phase

Marriott-Maui-Ocean-Club-Floor-Plan.jpg

MOC Napili Tower:

MOC_2bd2ba_floorplan.jpg

WKORV South Phase:

FlrPlnWKROV-S.jpg

WKORV North Phase:

floorplan_2bedlo1.jpg

Last edited:

tperez

Reaction score
We own in both South and North. Unfortunately because of work transfer we've haven't been back to either for a few years so my info is dated (however I'm back on the West Coast so should be back soon). I recall that South the studio's had the small Lanai and in North it seemed a bit of a maze. For South we have an Ocean View and for North a Garden View I believe. There is a difference in MF.

We really like them both equally and have stayed in both. We're staying in the pink palace right now (Diamond Resort in Kaanapali) and for our morning runs we run past both. Both look the same - great.

We haven't been to the Mariott here on Maui but would definitely prefer the Westin over the Mariott (although we really like the Marriott Ko'olina on Oahu) just because the Westin is outside of "downtown" Ka'anapali.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We own in both South and North. Unfortunately because of work transfer we've haven't been back to either for a few years so my info is dated (however I'm back on the West Coast so should be back soon). I recall that South the studio's had the small Lanai and in North it seemed a bit of a maze. For South we have an Ocean View and for North a Garden View I believe. There is a difference in MF.

We really like them both equally and have stayed in both. We're staying in the pink palace right now (Diamond Resort in Kaanapali) and for our morning runs we run past both. Both look the same - great.

We haven't been to the Mariott here on Maui but would definitely prefer the Westin over the Mariott (although we really like the Marriott Ko'olina on Oahu) just because the Westin is outside of "downtown" Ka'anapali.

A very small lanai; it is an architectural feature that is too small to even stand on.

The only studios at WKORV-S with lanais are ocean front units.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's about a 18 in. wide "Juliet" balcony. Not really a lanai.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I much prefer the location of WKORV and WKORV-N over Marriott's. I am staying at WKORV right now, and also own at WKORV-N. As tperez said, I like them both very much. The S units are a little larger, but the N units have a nicer lanai in the studio. I agree with all the comparisons above.

As to the better location, that is also a matter of taste. The Westin location is a lot quieter than the Whaler's Vollage area near the Marriott. That is a plus for me, but I think others prefer the higher level of activity near the Marriott. It doesn't make either location "better". It all depends on your personal preference.

Another consideration if you already own Marriott on Oahu would be whether you want the flaxibility of using your points at other properties within the Marriott system vs. having additional locations to exchange into by taking on a new system. There are pros and cons to either choice. If you plan to always use your unit, then it probably doesn't much matter if you mix systems.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Though you can use all the pools on either campus (except adult only pools when you have kids), the south side's pool is more attractive to young kids. However fun = noise. The north side, by contrast, is quieter and draws more adults.

South side's living area is considerably bigger, so if you're going to routinely travel with the max number of occupants (8 for a 2 bdrm) then consider the south side.

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77371

However, if view is important to you, then the north side's OVs are oriented much better than the south's OV. For instance, looking at this map, in Building 4 villas 07/09 and 11/13 are considered OV, as are all the villas in buildings 2 and 3 from 24/25 on back. The parking lot next to building 3 is an eyesore for owners who are placed on this side of the resort.

In contrast, here is WKORV-N:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77373

Building 5 and 8 are all coded OF. All of Building 6 and the interior-facing side of Building 7 are coded as IV. The exterior (north facing) side of building 7 is where you'll find all the OV units. And they're not bad. The map doesn't show it, but there is a permanent green space to the right of these villas, so these should all enjoy a nice, quiet OV even after WKORV-NN is built.

Last edited:

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Thank you so much. We rented at WKORN in 2011. It was an island view ownership but when we checked in we were given building 5. My husband can't stop talking about how he loved staying at the balcony. We had not a chance to explore the South building, we were too busy galivanting :eek:. Although I would not consider the view Oceanfront. I would say it's oceanview, just my opinion

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Although I would not consider the view Oceanfront. I would say it's oceanview, just my opinion

I was an OF owner and I couldn't agree more. There was a ton of discussion when we realized that we'd been duped by Starwood, who was fast and loose with their OF designation, IMO. Nonetheless, they are really nice views.

gdrj

Reaction score
For us WKORN was the only option. with 2BR our intention was to split use and use studio separately. For my spouse a balcony is a requirement. Sittting out there in the AM or possibly PM happens everyday. When we are in the room if not sleeping theres a good chance we are on the balcony.