• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HouseBoat in RCI?

ptlohmysoul

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can find out if there is a houseboat kind of vacation in the US? I know there is a boat vacation in the British Virgin Islands, but looking for closer to home (east coast area). Secondly, if there is such a thing, does anyone know it's availability through RCI? TIA!

medsed

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't done it but there is Holly Bluff Marina in Florida. Not sure about availability.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there are any in central British Columbia anymore. I owned a houseboat timeshare but they went under - season is too short here and the maintenance costs were prohibitive.

I know that the Fairmont group used to have houseboats but I don't believe they ever made their way into the exchange pool.

Some of our best vacations were houseboating on the Shuswaps, both with our kids and then three adult couples.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
We haven't done it but there is Holly Bluff Marina in Florida. Not sure about availability.

There's another one in Oklahoma called Grand Lakefront (RCI #5184). I'm pretty sure those are the only two in RCI. I'd love to hear more about these myself - I actually had one booked, but had to cancel.

There are some additional fees, so check into that beforehand.

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
NW Georgia

I traded for one in Northwest Georgia about 20 years ago but I have not seen it recently. I have seen the boats in OK. I have also taken two canalboat trades in England and will do it again.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's another one in Oklahoma called Grand Lakefront (RCI #5184). I'm pretty sure those are the only two in RCI. I'd love to hear more about these myself - I actually had one booked, but had to cancel.

I've seen that listed, but never realized it was a houseboat. I always thought "Why would I want to vacation in Oklahoma" so I never looked closer, but on a houseboat...that might be fun.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive considered converting my boat to a fractional ownership, Sell 10 monthly shares at $10000 plus $10000 into a reserve fund for new engines one day. (keep 2 for myself, and mf enough to cover dock fees and maintenance.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI offers this in Deland Florida:

Grand Lakefront Resort Club USA / Holly Bluff Marina (#4876)

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ive considered converting my boat to a fractional ownership, Sell 10 monthly shares at $10000 plus $10000 into a reserve fund for new engines one day. (keep 2 for myself, and mf enough to cover dock fees and maintenance.

I'll definitely buy in when someone offers to pay the closing costs to give it away! :rofl:

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI offers this in Deland Florida:

Grand Lakefront Resort Club USA / Holly Bluff Marina (#4876)

Other Urgent Information
$900.00 Operation fee for all Boats
Deposit of $1500.00 with full refund or $600.00 with $500.00 refund for Liability insurance
All guests must pay for their own fuel used to power the house boat.

And that's why there is a lot of availability. :rofl:

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Security deposit is $1500 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepeted.
Resort Fees
Service Charge fee is $900.00 to $900 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepeted.
Mandatory; Non refundable
Service Charge fee is $100 local currency. Cash or Credit is accepeted.

Dang. This one too! Good thing is they can both be had for under 40,000 points.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen that listed, but never realized it was a houseboat. I always thought "Why would I want to vacation in Oklahoma" so I never looked closer, but on a houseboat...that might be fun.

Uness it's on the Red River, you're still stuck in OK :hysterical:

If guests are paying their own fuel use, where is the $900 going? Even when you get soaked with AI fees in Mexico, there is at least an iota of some kind of value to the expense. Why would I pay for a houseboat, via exchange or MF, just for the right to rent it anyway?

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
So after discussing it with my wife (who, it turns out, has always wanted to stay on a houseboat!), I booked it this morning.

We just let the kids know about it, and their reaction was priceless.

Me: We haven't been on vacation since May and weren't planning another one until December, but Mommy has been getting a bit antsy so we've been looking into different vacations. So this morning, Daddy booked a timeshare in Oklahoma.
Kids: (Nothing but stares, with a "have you lost your mind" look on their faces.
Mommy: On a houseboat!
Kids: (Total change of attitude, with excited cheers and lots of questions!)

I do agree that the $900 appears to be a ripoff, unless owners get charged the same amount, but the total cost is unbeatable. $900 fee + $209 exchange fee + $50 (5 TPU @ $10/TPU) = $1159 for a week. If you go directly to them, they rent the boat for over $2000/week, and from my limited experience renting other boats (often hundreds of dollars just for half a day, for a much smaller boat), that's a good deal.

We're certainly excited about it!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
So after discussing it with my wife (who, it turns out, has always wanted to stay on a houseboat!), I booked it this morning.

Wow, outstanding! I'm thinking it's going to be pretty exciting just to hear your review afterwards. :)

When do you have it booked? (don't have to tell us exact dates, perhaps what month if you'd like).

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is a tremendous holiday, especially with kids. You'll have a great time.

ptlohmysoul

Reaction score
Less than two months from now.

Wow! I'm glad I got to (accidentally) contribute to your vacation knowledge as I've gained lots of dvc info. from you. Please do link your review to this thread so I can be sure to see it.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'm glad I got to (accidentally) contribute to your vacation knowledge as I've gained lots of dvc info. from you. Please do link your review to this thread so I can be sure to see it.

LOL - Actually I think we both deserve "free" t-shirts for helping him! Seriously though, just returning to the thread with some feedback on the trip would be enough for me! Maybe next year for us...

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL - Actually I think we both deserve "free" t-shirts for helping him! Seriously though, just returning to the thread with some feedback on the trip would be enough for me! Maybe next year for us...
I can't do free, but I just created coupon code "HOUSEBOAT" for $5 off a TUG Keep Calm tee. It's set up to only work for the first 5 people who use the coupon.

And I'll definitely be doing a review after our stay.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
Don't think any of these exchange in Interval or RCI but there are tons of Houseboat timeshares at Lake Powell (Southern Utah/Northern Arizona).

Would be kind of fun to set up a direct exchange with someone though. I used to go there 2 times a year growing up and loved it!!! I would never recommend someone going to Lake Powell with just a houseboat reserved as you need another ski boat just for safety reasons alone besides all the recreational opportunities.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I knew about the houseboat via RCI in deland FL because my inlaws booked it last year and my husband went a few nights. If you have any questions, let me know and I can ask them.