• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Diamond Resorts Formerly ILX Resorts

aleathahall

Reaction score
I have been reading through many posts here throughout.

I gather that I am stuck with some ridiculous MF for something I did not buy and that there doesn't seem to be a way in the world out of it other than stick others with the MF and have my credit history hit hard if I quit paying it. And for some reason I get billed every year for whatever increasing dollar amount they feel like coming up with to charge me which, of course, is far more than I would spend on a typical place to stay for myself on vacation.

I have posted my "points" (not what I bought from ILX pre-takeover by Diamond) for 0.01 on the bargain board.

Other than that, any other brilliant ideas? I keep trying to talk to Diamond about deedback, but as is evident by many other posts - that will be going nowhere as well.

To top everything else off - my dead husband's name is still what they address me by in coorespondence even though I submitted all the documentation years ago already that he died. He died of leukemia at about 48 years of age. We got some years use, but now I cannot afford it by myself and my adult daughter at a minimum wage job cannot afford it either.

Needless to say, I have absolutely no regard, respect, or any kind of good opinion regarding Diamond Resorts International.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Last edited:

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
confused

If it is still in your deceased hubbys name why are you even paying it? You didn't have to accept this when he passed away....I would send a copy of the death certificate and a statement from you saying that you do not have the means to pay the fees and this isn't even your account etc...they should take it back if you have a hardship case/death etc. Just make sure you supply then with the documentation to back up what you are saying.:)

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's probably also in the OP's name, but the bill addressed to the deceased. Diamond does really weird stuff. I would receive an invoice in my name, then two weeks later my wife would receive something else in a different format but for the same thing. We were both on the ownership but seemed to be billed independently for the same unit. Really odd. Same address btw.

If the OP is not listed as an owner with the resort, then I would no longer pay and let it go.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been reading through many posts here throughout.

I gather that I am stuck with some ridiculous MF for something I did not buy and that there doesn't seem to be a way in the world out of it other than stick others with the MF and have my credit history hit hard if I quit paying it. And for some reason I get billed every year for whatever increasing dollar amount they feel like coming up with to charge me which, of course, is far more than I would spend on a typical place to stay for myself on vacation.

I have posted my "points" (not what I bought from ILX pre-takeover by Diamond) for 0.01 on the bargain board.

Other than that, any other brilliant ideas? I keep trying to talk to Diamond about deedback, but as is evident by many other posts - that will be going nowhere as well.

To top everything else off - my dead husband's name is still what they address me by in coorespondence even though I submitted all the documentation years ago already that he died. He died of leukemia at about 48 years of age. We got some years use, but now I cannot afford it by myself and my adult daughter at a minimum wage job cannot afford it either.

Needless to say, I have absolutely no regard, respect, or any kind of good opinion regarding Diamond Resorts International.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Have you contacted the Loss Mitigation Department? They have been reported to take back "surrendered" points/deeds if financial hardship can be proved. I do not know their criteria. There have been several threads here (none recently) and also on the Diamond Members Forum on the Official DRI webpage. If I find a contact I will post it.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a cut in paste from the moderator response in the Official Diamond Member forum:

As discussed previously on this forum topic, Diamond Resorts does not currently have a Voluntary Surrender program. If a member/owner is experiencing a medical or financial hardship that prevents them from travelling, they can submit a written request to surrender their contract, along with documented proof (ie. signed letter from Doctor or Physician) of their hardship to our Corporate Address:

Diamond Resorts International
Attn: Hospitality Management
10600 W. Charleston BLVD.
Las Vegas, NV 89135

Once received, the Hospitality Management department will review the request, the circumstances and substantiating documentation submitted and respond accordingly. Please be aware that there are no guarantees that a request will be accepted for voluntary surrender.

aleathahall

Reaction score
additional info and question

My late ex-husband and I bought a EOY floating week with ILX Resort years ago. Then we divorced. The divorce decree gave the ILX Resort to my ex-husband. He never took my name off, then he died.

Can I stop paying MF and have it only affect my credit rating or will collectors take me to court and win a judgment to steal my retirement/savings?

Thank you in advance for any help.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think a letter to the above noted address for DRI, with a letter of explanation and a copy of the divorce decree stating it is HIS and a copy of his death certificate should keep them away from your door.

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
this should be simple IMO

My late ex-husband and I bought a EOY floating week with ILX Resort years ago. Then we divorced. The divorce decree gave the ILX Resort to my ex-husband. He never took my name off, then he died.

Can I stop paying MF and have it only affect my credit rating or will collectors take me to court and win a judgment to steal my retirement/savings?

SEND a copy of the divorce certificate/the death cert if you can/ and a copy of the divorce decree thingy that says your ex/deceased hubby owns it...DRI should take it back! Good luck!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Laws vary depending upon the state. In MO, my ex-wife stopped paying on the share of debt awarded to her in court, including the new car payment for the car she kept and the house payment for the house she kept. Both had my name on the loan, which the banks refused to remove.

She defaulted on ALL of the loans for items she kept. The car was repoed and the house went into foreclosure. Both banks came after me when she didn't pay. My recourse was a hold harmless clause in which if I paid the bills, I was allowed to suit her for damages and, assuming I won my judgment, would then have to find a way to collect from her.

Instead I filed bankruptcy and, in turn, so did she a year or two later (they started going after her and her new husband).

I'm afraid you're stuck with two options, sell or default. I'm not certain that defaulting on a timeshare MF payment dings your record as bad as anyone worries that it does. You can add an addendum to your credit record giving your side of the story and, as long as all other payments remain current, my bet is it's not as big of a deal as some fear it to be.

aleathahall

Reaction score
Thank you dougp26364 for sharing your experience. I hope it is as you say - that it isn't as bad as I imagine. Sorry for what you went through.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aleathahall, I don't know if you've settled this, but I want you (and other ILX owners who run across this thread) to know that Diamond is taking deeds back for a nominal fee ($250). There is a TUG thread discussing it: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224859

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
A suggestion...

Aleathahall, I don't know if you've settled this, but I want you (and other ILX owners who run across this thread) to know that Diamond is taking deeds back for a nominal fee ($250). There is a TUG thread discussing it: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224859

Good info and it's kind of you to provide it, but may I suggest also sending aleathahall a PM and / or a email message? After all, it has been 3 months since she posted her above input and she may / may not have been back since. It would be a shame if she was left unaware of this affordable "exit" from Diamond's clutches, particularly since the exit option may turn out to be short-lived. :shrug:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! I sent an email to the OP, and hoped bumping the thread might be of help to others. ILX was bought out by Diamond, and a lot of ILX long time owners are still confused about how Diamond fits in (other than the OP's complaint about escalating MF's).

At the end of April, Diamond was still accepting deedbacks of ILX properties. I just gave them back a Los Abrigados Jerome unit.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes aleatha, most folks have been reporting that DRI has been charging $250 to surrender intervals back to them.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
yes aleatha, most folks have been reporting that DRI has been charging $250 to surrender intervals back to them.

FYI, that's the same price they charge for resale transfers.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
PamMo - thank you. I gather you had to pay them $250 to give back the Los Abrigados Jerome Unit?

Yes, I had to pay $250 to deed the unit back to them, but I thought it was the best exit plan. When we bought Los Abrigados a few years ago, MF's were in the $540 price range, and Sedona was one of our favorite escapes for hiking (it still is). Unfortunately, the escalating MF's ($1,241 for 2015 MF's) broke the proverbial camel's back. I'm happy to be rid of Diamond. I can trade into (or even own!) a 2BR at Hyatt's Pinon Pointe much cheaper than owning a 1BR at Los Abrigados! Crazy, right?