• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Recording fee from DonateforCause

GROtimeshare

Reaction score
I'm trying to transfer my deed (westin st. John villa) to J&J timeshare (Donate for Cause .org) and they asked me $500 for deed recording fee. Does anyone know if the $500 for recording fee is normal for deed transfer? I called westin and Westin said that there is no recording fee to transfer.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
They are going to charge you what they want to for transferring the TS out of your name regardless of what someone else may charge for the transfer.

You have to decide if the total cost they want is worth it to you or not.

On the plus side, it has been reported here that they do what they say they will and the TS will be transfered out of your name.

There are cheaper ways to get rid of your timeshare, maybe. Have you tried giving it away? You could try the bargain deals here on TUG, Craig's List, eBay Classifieds and FreeCycle.

They are all completely free to advertise on.

GROtimeshare

Reaction score
Other company than J&J timeshare

By the way, does anyone know title transfer company other than J&J timeshare and "Donate for a cause"?

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I did see that ad pop up. If you need to get rid of it quickly you may have to ad incentives, depending on the interest you get.

2 TSs I gave away cost me nothing, one cost me a weeks use and all closing fees, and another cost me $250 to deed it back to the resort.

Good luck with the "sale."

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had excellent service from them when I sold my WSJ three years ago. Good firm:

Jayne A. C. Kellogg
Birch, de Jongh & Hindels, PLLC
Attorneys at Law
Poinsettia House at Bluebeard's Castle
1330 Estate Taarnebjerg
St. Thomas , Virgin Islands 00802
Telephone: 340/774-1100 Ext. 6
Facsimile: 340/776-0342

Email (direct to Sender): jackellogg@bdhlawvi.com[/email

They use [url]www.timesharetitle.com[/url]

Last edited:

GROtimeshare

Reaction score
I'm wondering if Jayne A. C. Kellogg provides transfer service only or
can take my deed ownership as "Donate for a cause"?

Do you Know?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you Know?

Transfer services are different from companies lie Donate for a Cause.

Transfer services provide only the service of drafting and recording the transfer deed between two contracted parties.

They do not find a willing party to take the transfer as does Donate for a Cause.

-ryan

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you Know?

GRO,
You have jumbled things. Let me explain:

1. Jayne works for the law firm of Birch, de Jongh & Hindels. This a law that firm that specializes in real estate law in the U.S.V.I. They do not "take" deeds or provide transfer service (to my knowledge).

2. They use www.timesharetitle.com From their (timesharetitle) website: " We take care of all of the details, including deed preparation and recording, collection and disbursement of funds, document distribution and final notification to the resort".

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
If you "donate" your timeshare to Donate for a Cause, they will handle the transfer and all paperwork - you won't need a Title company. But of course, you have to pay them, to accept your timeshare - no one accepts donations for free anymore.

DFC will not allow you to choose the transfer company, because the transfer fees are part of their "profit." They are a licensed charity, and a small portion of their income does go to charity.

Beaglemom3 is suggesting a law firm that you can use if you give away your timeshare to a private owner. With a timeshare [in the USVI] you need someone who handles that kind of transfer. LTT doesn't do [USVI] transfers.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to transfer my deed (westin st. John villa) to J&J timeshare (Donate for Cause .org) and they asked me $500 for deed recording fee. Does anyone know if the $500 for recording fee is normal for deed transfer? I called westin and Westin said that there is no recording fee to transfer.

If $500 is all it takes to get rid of the Week, pay it before they change their mind. If there are additional fees above the $500, you have a bigger decision to make.

George

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If $500 is all it takes to get rid of the Week, pay it before they change their mind. If there are additional fees above the $500, you have a bigger decision to make.

George

The way I interpreted it was that there's a fee plus a charge of $500 for the transfer process.

I agree, if it's only $500 total, jump on it. If more in involved, weigh the total cost to see if it's worth it to you.

It all depends on how much demand there is for your unit. Did you look on eBay to see what they have been going for there and did you ask your resort if they'll just take the unit back?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
There is definitely a bigger fee (probably in the $2K range) - this is ONLY their "transfer" fee.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Doesn't the Westin St John have SOME resale value? Shoot, isn't it a mandatory property? I know the MFs are high, but it must fetch something. No need to PAY someone to take it?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the Westin St John have SOME resale value? Shoot, isn't it a mandatory property? I know the MFs are high, but it must fetch something. No need to PAY someone to take it?

Look at week 39 rentals. It is the low season -- the studio will likely rent for barely over mfs, if that. The mandatory feature of the property is negligible because it only has 37K SOs (according to the OP) for a $1600+ mf -- that is a bad ratio for SVN usage. If someone takes it, they will be buying to use it IMHO.

Someone picked up a 2BR Gold+ for free earlier this year. They aren't common, but they are out there. I think this is a tougher sell than people think -- although it does come with free usage and closing which should sweeten the pot.

-ryan

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Look at week 39 rentals. It is the low season -- the studio will likely rent for barely over mfs, if that. The mandatory feature of the property is negligible because it only has 37K SOs (according to the OP) for a $1600+ mf -- that is a bad ratio for SVN usage. If someone takes it, they will be buying to use it IMHO.

Someone picked up a 2BR Gold+ for free earlier this year. They aren't common, but they are out there. I think this is a tougher sell than people think -- although it does come with free usage and closing which should sweeten the pot.

-ryan

Thanks for the info. I really just know enough about Starwood to be dangerous. Thanks for clarifying.