• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Forum/FAQ/Sticky Discussions [Ongoing]

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
First, I apologize for how long it's taken to work up a Points FAQ, but I hope you'll agree that it's better late than never.

I'd like for the FAQ to be mostly a facts-based resource rather than an opinion-based rehash of every discussion we've ever had about Marriott's Points system. But suggestions, comments, dopeslaps, etc are all welcome ... have at it. :)

I would appreciate it if anyone would like to take the time to verify that all links are working (and that none of them direct to an open my-vacationclub.com account.) Also, some information has been credited/attributed to TUGgers by name. Please correct me if I got any of those wrong; please let me know if you'd rather not have your name associated with it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sue, This looks great. I am working my way through the FAQ, here is what I have noticed so far through the first part.

~~ MVCD Introduction Timeline~~
6/20/10 - At the MVCD introduction, Marriott immediately halted developer-direct sales of their MVCI Weeks product at the US resort and sales sites; offered DC Trust Points for purchase; and, offered the DC Enrollment option to existing Weeks Owners of the US and Caribbean resorts.
December, 2010 - Developer-direct sales of Weeks were halted at the Caribbean resorts.
6/18/12 - The MVCD program was implemented at the European resort sites.
The MVC Destinations program is not (yet?) integrated with the MVCI Asia-Pacific Points program. Marriott hasn't released any related, official information.

Did they halt weeks based sales in the Caribbean that long ago? I thought it was much more recent than that.

~~ Purchasing DC Trust Points ~~

As of 8/9/13, an Owner Services rep has quoted the DC Trust Points price range between $8.50 (with incentives) and $11.88 per Point. For historical context, the introductory base price was approx. $9.80 per point.

Should the "(with incentives)" follow the $11.88 price point? I don't think they offer incentives when they offer the low rock bottom price. Also $8.5 seems cheap?

~~ Enrolling MVCI Weeks in the DC ~~
*Note TUGger GregT has compiled and is maintaining a list of DC conversion and MRP exchange values as reported by TUGgers, which is being hosted on an external website here.

I believe Steven Ting now maintains this list.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Part 2

~~ Inventory Sources for DC Points Usage ~~

MVCI Weeks and MVCD Points inventory is kept separate according to the terms of each system's governing documents in order to protect Owners/Members ownership and usage rights. Inventory available through the DC Exchange Company is sourced from Marriott-controlled deposits as well as (according to the MVCD FAQ on my-vacationclub.com,) "... other Marriott Vacation Club Owners who enroll their weeks and elect Vacation Club Points, and non-enrolled Owners who trade their usage for Marriott Rewards points or exchange their week through membership in Interval International."

Technically, DC Trust Members have direct access to inventory in the DC Trust as well as inventory available through the DC Exchange Company; and, DC Exchange Members have direct access to only the inventory that's available through the DC Exchange Company. Functionally, it appears that Marriott is managing inventory such that a few select high-demand intervals are available only from the Trust at the 13-months Reservation Window, then at the 12-months Reservation Window most intervals are made available through the Exchange Company. Effectively, it appears that inventory is currently being managed by Marriott such that the technical v. functional legal aspects are practically nullified with respect to the overwhelming majority of available intervals.

Should you reference this thread in this section?

~~ "Use Year" ~~

All DC Exchange Points (i.e. from enrolled/converted Weeks) have a calendar-year 1/1-12/31 Use Year. All DC Trust Points purchased by Exchange Members will have the same calendar-year Use Year unless otherwise requested by the Member.

This should indicate DC Trust Points purchased direct from MVCI? If resale trust points are purchased, they will retain their use year from the initial purchase.

~~ The MVCD and Marriott Rewards (MR) Affiliation ~~

Nights booked using DC Points at the MVCI resorts and Marriott hotels/resorts are counted as Elite Nights in the Marriott Rewards program; and, MRP's and bonuses accrue for incidental spends during such stays.

DC Trust Points may be exchanged for MR Points on a percentage basis according to status; see the Benefits Chart for specifics.

All Enrolled Weeks are eligible to be exchanged for MR Points (excepting only the very few Weeks which were not originally sold with the MRP exchange benefit.) Upon enrollment, direct-purchase Weeks retain the MRP exchange benefit as it was included with the original purchase; and, external-resale Weeks may be exchanged for the amount of MRP for which a same direct-purchase Week is eligible but possibly with restricted frequency.

*Note a single Enrolled Week may be EITHER converted to Destination Club Points OR exchanged for Marriott Rewards Points, not both. Meaning, a single Week cannot be converted to DC Points with only a portion of those Points subsequently exchanged for MRP.

*Note TUGger GregT has compiled and is maintaining a list of DC conversion and MRP exchange values as reported by TUGgers, which is being hosted on an external website here.

Same as the one in first post. I think Steven maintains this now. Though Greg did create/start it.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue, This looks great. I am working my way through the FAQ, here is what I have noticed so far through the first part.

Did they halt weeks based sales in the Caribbean that long ago? I thought it was much more recent than that. ...

You're right, 12/27/12.

Should the "(with incentives)" follow the $11.88 price point? I don't think they offer incentives when they offer the low rock bottom price. Also $8.5 seems cheap? ...

Doesn't it? I did a double-take when I called last week and they gave me that figure, too, but I didn't ask for specifics. It was hard enough getting anybody to confirm the price range after I told them exactly why I was calling! "I just want the price range in order to post it to an internet forum FAQ - I have no intention of purchasing." The first woman told me no Marriott rep would give me an answer but when asked she transferred me to someone who understood what I was trying to do and was very helpful.

Yes, the "(with incentives)" needs to be moved.

I believe Steven Ting now maintains this list.

That sounds vaguely familiar, and maybe that he's moved an updated version to a different site? I'll wait on him or Greg to respond.

Part 2

Should you reference this thread in this section? ...

I'm undecided, would prefer the FAQ to function with as few links as possible. But if the "are all points the same" discussion stays heated then it's a consideration.

This should indicate DC Trust Points purchased direct from MVCI? If resale trust points are purchased, they will retain their use year from the initial purchase.

Yes, I think there and maybe in one or two sections ...

Thanks for your help! :)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Re the Part 2, "Usage Transfers" section -

Is this (bolded for emphasis) more correct:
Usage Transfers - All Members are allowed to transfer usage of DC Points in any increments to other DC Members, provided all parties are in good standing. Once transferred, control of such Points and any reservations made with them is assumed by the transferee. Transferred Points retain their original Use Year; and, it appears, their status as either Trust or Exchange Points. Transferred Points cannot be banked, borrowed, or further transferred. Currently there are no limits to the number of transfers allowed in and/or out of Member Accounts.

than this:
Usage Transfers - All Members are allowed to transfer usage of DC Points in any increments to other DC Members, provided all parties are in good standing. Once transferred, control of such Points and any reservations made with them is assumed by the transferee. Transferred Points retain their original Use Year, and cannot be banked, borrowed, or further transferred. Currently there are no limits to the number of transfers allowed in and/or out of Member Accounts.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think "any increments" is accurate. I think transfers require 25 point increments.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think "any increments" is accurate. I think transfers require 25 point increments.

Good eye. But what about the Trust v. Exchange status of transferred Points - does the original status remain after the transfer?

[eta] Now that I think about it, you can't rent 10 Points if that's all you have left or all you need? Or is it because with the Points Chart dealing in only 25-Point increments, it's impossible to be left with anything that's not divisible by 25?

I hate math.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Good eye. But what about the Trust v. Exchange status of transferred Points - does the original status remain after the transfer?

I will defer that to Greg since I think he has actually done a test on that.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Yes it does. It will show as either "Transferred Trust" or "Transferred Election" points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Might want to add to your Explorer Collection options in your intro...the ability to purchase travel protection insurance and airline tickets.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Under Use Year....you wrote..

DC Trust Points purchased direct from Marriott by non-Weeks Owners will have a rolling twelve-month Use Year based on the date of purchase.​

Technically, I believe for Trust Points purchased direct, your Use Year begins on the 1st of the month following closing date (not based on your purchase date).

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
You currently have.....

All US and Caribbean resort Weeks purchased prior to 6/20/10, and all European resort Weeks purchased prior to 6/18/12, are eligible to be enrolled in the MVC Destinations program.​

So does this mean that all Caribbean weeks purchased from Marriott between 6/20/10 and 12/27/12 cannot be enrolled? Just wanting to clarify if that is in fact the case.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Marriott Folks: I have written a few of these FAQ's, and you need to be aware that these types of articles are an enormous amount of work! You guys should give Sue a big raise! Or at least be nice to her for a whole week! :D

:clap::clap::clap:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
You currently have....

Cancellations - If a DC Points reservation is cancelled at least 61-days prior to the check-in date, the Points are returned to the Member's Account with full original usage rights. Cancellations within 60-days of check-in will result in the Points being placed into a Holding Account that stipulates restricted usage.

These are the basic cancellation policies. There are various others that may apply depending on which type of Points are being used and for which purpose. Refer to the governing documents and/or the TUG discussion forums if you have questions about a specific situation
.​

Do you also want to add that a reservation by a Standard Member booking a full week in the 13 month window, using 20% points premium, who later cancels this reservation, will have the 20% premium points placed into the Holding Account. Also, a points reservation for a full week made by a Standard Member or Premier Member prior to the 10 month window, who later reduces the number of days in that reservation, will have the refunded points placed in a Holding Account (these rules are there to dissuade gaming of the system). These seem like important points, so I figured I would toss them out there for you to consider including.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
And the last one that I saw is the following:

You have.....

DC Trust Points may be exchanged for MR Points on a percentage basis according to status; see the Benefits Chart for specifics.​
Do you also want to give the deadline for doing so. Deadline for DC Trust Point owners is 1 day prior to 3 months after the beginning of your use year. For example...if your use year runs from 7/1/13-6/30/14, you have until 9/30/13 to convert DC points to MR Points.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
On the Points Chart, it is Greg's list, that I put into a Google Spreadsheet, that can be edited by anyone. I hope that if someone has something to add, that they feel free to add to it. The link to it is at the top of the VPE site, but it's just a Google Doc link.

BTW, the FAQ is an excellent ready.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

[eta] Now that I think about it, you can't rent 10 Points if that's all you have left or all you need? Or is it because with the Points Chart dealing in only 25-Point increments, it's impossible to be left with anything that's not divisible by 25?

I hate math.

I believe in the governing docs, it says you can transfer points, but it does not specify any 25 point increment. However I believe if you contact an advisor, they can only do 25 point increments.

While the point chart is in 25 point increments, it is possible to be left with points not in the 25 point increment because of the 20% discount for booking 7/14 days before check-in for Premier and Premier Plus members.

For example, I almost booked a night that would have cost 175 points. With the 20% discount, it would only cost 140 points, meaning that it would break the 25 point increment.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Might want to add to your Explorer Collection options in your intro...the ability to purchase travel protection insurance and airline tickets.

Reviewing this - I don't want to include every Explorer Club option because they're constantly changing, resulting in a FAQ that needs too-frequent edits. But something about, ... and other varied items, see ____ ..." should work.

Under Use Year....you wrote..

DC Trust Points purchased direct from Marriott by non-Weeks Owners will have a rolling twelve-month Use Year based on the date of purchase.​

Technically, I believe for Trust Points purchased direct, your Use Year begins on the 1st of the month following closing date (not based on your purchase date).

Great! Without access to all the Trust docs some of this info is just not available or well-known.

You currently have.....

All US and Caribbean resort Weeks purchased prior to 6/20/10, and all European resort Weeks purchased prior to 6/18/12, are eligible to be enrolled in the MVC Destinations program.​

So does this mean that all Caribbean weeks purchased from Marriott between 6/20/10 and 12/27/12 cannot be enrolled? Just wanting to clarify if that is in fact the case.

Reviewing this as well - I'm sure any US and Caribbean Weeks purchased on or after 6/20/10 are not eligible, but I don't remember the details related to every Caribbean resort.

You currently have....

Cancellations - If a DC Points reservation is cancelled at least 61-days prior to the check-in date, the Points are returned to the Member's Account with full original usage rights. Cancellations within 60-days of check-in will result in the Points being placed into a Holding Account that stipulates restricted usage.

These are the basic cancellation policies. There are various others that may apply depending on which type of Points are being used and for which purpose. Refer to the governing documents and/or the TUG discussion forums if you have questions about a specific situation
.​

Do you also want to add that a reservation by a Standard Member booking a full week in the 13 month window, using 20% points premium, who later cancels this reservation, will have the 20% premium points placed into the Holding Account. Also, a points reservation for a full week made by a Standard Member or Premier Member prior to the 10 month window, who later reduces the number of days in that reservation, will have the refunded points placed in a Holding Account (these rules are there to dissuade gaming of the system). These seem like important points, so I figured I would toss them out there for you to consider including.

No, I don't want to add any of the finer details for such specific usage. The FAQ is already giant-size and adding every variable would make it as useless for everyday use as the governing documents are! That's why the FAQ specifies that what's included re cancellations is "basic." But if we start to see a pattern of such usage becoming mainstream with Members not understanding all the ramifications, then we'll revisit it.

And the last one that I saw is the following:

You have.....

DC Trust Points may be exchanged for MR Points on a percentage basis according to status; see the Benefits Chart for specifics.​
Do you also want to give the deadline for doing so. Deadline for DC Trust Point owners is 1 day prior to 3 months after the beginning of your use year. For example...if your use year runs from 7/1/13-6/30/14, you have until 9/30/13 to convert DC points to MR Points.

Great again! I searched up down and sideways for the deadline and came up empty - this is very helpful. :)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Sue,

I echo Denise's remarks -- this is a massive undertaking! Well done! I'm only part-way through it, but it is a tremendous resource to have organized in this manner.

Thanks again for the effort!

Best,

Greg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe in the governing docs, it says you can transfer points, but it does not specify any 25 point increment. However I believe if you contact an advisor, they can only do 25 point increments.

While the point chart is in 25 point increments, it is possible to be left with points not in the 25 point increment because of the 20% discount for booking 7/14 days before check-in for Premier and Premier Plus members.

For example, I almost booked a night that would have cost 175 points. With the 20% discount, it would only cost 140 points, meaning that it would break the 25 point increment.

Understood. I'll leave the FAQ as is with the 25-Point increments mentioned. If/when the VOA's are able to process other amounts, it'll be revisited.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the Points Chart, it is Greg's list, that I put into a Google Spreadsheet, that can be edited by anyone. I hope that if someone has something to add, that they feel free to add to it. The link to it is at the top of the VPE site, but it's just a Google Doc link.

BTW, the FAQ is an excellent ready.

I think this means the document I'm referencing with the link to Greg's hosted site is not as up-to-date as the link on VPE? Do you have any problems with the FAQ instead linking to VPE's link? Thanks!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think this means the document I'm referencing with the link to Greg's hosted site is not as up-to-date as the link on VPE? Do you have any problems with the FAQ instead linking to VPE's link? Thanks!

I don't have a problem at all linking to VPE -- that does appear more current (and more likely to remain current?). Thanks again!

Bnov

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue, Thank you SO much for your extraordinary work on this! Great job!!!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sue- kudos for a great job!
I know Marriott was in fact selling Aruba weeks until last December, when they switched to selling only points, although they can't place any units in the Trust as far as I know anyway. Those were the only non-European weeks being sold that still were eligible for enrollment post June of 2010. Resale Aruba weeks fell into the 2010 deadline, but not the developer purchased ones.