• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] "Hidden Gem" resorts

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to get a thread going on "hidden gem" resorts.

By that I'm thinking of resorts that don't get a lot of publicity because they aren't "glamor" resorts with lots of amenities. But the resorts are in good locales, are nicely furnished, well-maintained and well run, and are just nice places to be. To me when I find such a place it almost feels more like "home" than a "resort". Most definitely these are resorts that people who are looking for "resort experiences" will not be interested in. But some place that appeals to those of us who are more interested in location than amenities and are only looking for a nice place to stay as a base for other activities.

To start I'll offer a couple of my hidden gems.

First - Whispering Woods in Welches, OR. Located in the Cascade Mountains between Portland, OR and Mt. Hood. Well-maintained. Lots of easy day trip options, including Portland, Mt. Hood, Columbia Gorge, Willamette Valley. Outdoor activities for fishing, hiking, rafting, skiing (year round at Mt. Hood), parasailing, wine tasting.

Second - Mandalay Shores in Oxnard, CA. One block from a golden sand beach that literally stretches for miles in either direction. Again, well-maintained and furnished. Very small resort in a residential area. About the only on-site amenities are a swimming pool and fitness room. Good base for all of the activities that are in the area north of Los Angeles. The beach is less crowded than other SoCal beaches. We've used this as a base for trips to Magic Mountain in Valencia - about 90 minutes away. But those who want to go to MM can do so, while others who want more peace and quiet hang out on the beach. Channel Island Shores is a stone's throw away and offers similar opportunities.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Whispering Woods - and the drive down from Hood River is amazing.

I think Cabana Club in Birch Bay, WA. is a hidden gem. Not very "resorty" but clean and in a swell location.

I loved going to Magic Mountain back in the day - I once rode Colossus 19 times in one day (no lines!!!!).

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Royal Dunes Resort, Hilton Head

From time to time this resort is mentioned on TUG. It's in the same plantation as the Marriott's Barony and the Westin Resorts...and easy walking distance to those resorts and to the beach. They also offer free shuttle ride via golfcarts to beach for those loaded up with beach stuff. Best of all, the decor is gorgeous and upgraded often. There are three bedrooms...two of them are at either end of the large villa with its own master bath, making two of the BRs actual master suites. In the middle is the third bedroom with a detached third bathroom next to it. They are all handicap accessible units with amble space, grab-bars in bathrooms, etc. And the keycard access to elevators makes this resort quite secure. This resort exchanges both in RCI and II and I believe is Gold Crown with RCI. A real gem on Hilton Head when folks gush mostly about Marriotts and DVC.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Caymanian in the Cayman Islands
Sands of Kahana in Maui
Renaissance Aruba
Four Seasons in Portugal.
Dona Lola in Malaga Spain.

Reviews of the first two are in the Marketplace.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd tell you some of my fav's but then I'd have to kill you. Kinda like a favorite fishin' hole. You want it ruined, just tell somebody.

Jim

stoler527

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott royal palms

Marriott Royal Palms is an older resort and is frequently overlooked in favor of Grande Vista, Cypress Harbour and even Harbor Lake. We like the quiet, non-resort atmosphere and the location very close to Disney. Guests can access the Marriott Hotel if they want extra resort amenities. It is usually easy to trade into
the Royal Palms because it has the reputation of being dated.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Wailea Ekahi Village

Wailea Ekahi Village in Maui isn't a timeshare, so we have to rent when we go there, but we love the property. It was built in 1975, so the buildings look dated, but the grounds are beautifully maintained by a team of 12 gardeners. The feature we like best is it's location on Keawakapu Beach. The golden sand is soft, the waves are gentle, the shore slopes off gradually, and it's hard to find a rock to stub your toe on. There are rocks on the end of the beach, but they make a nice home for the fish, and snorkeling is excellent. I can't wait to go back.

84-Wailea%20Ekahi%20Village-XL.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Whispering Woods - and the drive down from Hood River is amazing.

I think Cabana Club in Birch Bay, WA. is a hidden gem. Not very "resorty" but clean and in a swell location.

I loved going to Magic Mountain back in the day - I once rode Colossus 19 times in one day (no lines!!!!).

I think you mean the drive down to Hood River or up from Hood River. One of my fondest memories of WW is a Labor Dat weekend about five years ago when DW, DD, SIL and I drove to Hood River from Seattle and spent an afternoon in Hood River doing wine tasting. We then bought picked up some groceries in Hood River and headed up to WW, where SIL and I grilled the fish while the women handled the other parts of dinner. Opened a couple of bottles of vino purchased that afternoon and had a delightful time time on the deck. Next day we hit a bunch wineries in Yamhill, after which DD and SIL decamped back to the Bay Area and we returned to Seattle.

Re the Colossus at MM, without me doing anything at all my kids just gravitated there after doing all of other roller coasters at the park. They just came to appreciate the subtleties and joys of a well-designed classic wooden roller coaster because of the Colossus and the Giant Dipper n Santa Cruz. We've talked several times about getting back together there, but we've never made concrete plans. This might be a good impetus.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with whispering woods
Love Island Park Village
Love Lake Pend Orielle Shores resort

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brant Point Courtyard, Nantucket, Massachusetts.

Old-timey and quaint.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you mean the drive down to Hood River or up from Hood River. One of my fondest memories of WW is a Labor Dat weekend about five years ago when DW, DD, SIL and I drove to Hood River from Seattle and spent an afternoon in Hood River doing wine tasting. We then bought picked up some groceries in Hood River and headed up to WW, where SIL and I grilled the fish while the women handled the other parts of dinner. Opened a couple of bottles of vino purchased that afternoon and had a delightful time time on the deck. Next day we hit a bunch wineries in Yamhill, after which DD and SIL decamped back to the Bay Area and we returned to Seattle.

Naw - I meant what I said - The drive down to Whispering Woods on State Highway 35 from the City of Hood River is awesome.

Whenever you go south - on the map you are going down - as compared to across. :rolleyes:

You might be thinking elevation - but not everyone thinks the way you do :eek:

Re the Colossus at MM, without me doing anything at all my kids just gravitated there after doing all of other roller coasters at the park. They just came to appreciate the subtleties and joys of a well-designed classic wooden roller coaster because of the Colossus and the Giant Dipper n Santa Cruz. We've talked several times about getting back together there, but we've never made concrete plans. This might be a good impetus.

Well, I don't think 19 rides in a day is a record - but I felt like I was on a ship that was still moving when I laid down that night. :D

Be forewarned :wave:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Shhh....

Coincidence about the kudos for Whispering Woods? Just home from visiting my sisses in Portland and starting to plan for a t/s week around my niece's wedding in August '14. Her wedding venue is somewhere near Mt. Hood and a stay in Welches would be ideal. As expected, there's no availability showing with RCI for that time frame, though....

Eagle's Nest in Crested Butte was one of my favorite trades. The Osbourne Club in Torquay, England was too. Also Marco Polo Club Alpina in Austria!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eagle Crest in Redmond, OR. Nothing fancy at all about the place, but I think one would be hard pressed to find a better family resort.

The best thing about the resort, IMO, is that the resort & units are well thought out. They're townhouse units, so you have nobody above or below; the units back either to the golf course or the Deschutes River; they all have large decks with gas BBQ's and there's a lockable outdoor storage closet for each unit - large enough to hold bikes, golf clubs, coolers, etc.

Additionally, there are three golf courses and six(?) pools on site, so things usually aren't too crowded. Bike rentals, tennis clinics, horseback rides, craft classes, zumba, spa. Pretty much everything needed for a really fun and/or relaxing family vacation.

Want to take a day trip? The resort is a relatively short drive to Crater Lake NP,

crater-lake-1.jpg

Smith Rock State Park,

troy1000.jpg

Newberry National Volcanic Monument,

highlander_newberry-300x225.jpg

Mt Bachelor ski resort and numerous other outdoor destinations.

Also, daily views of many of the peaks of the Cascade Range.

Broken-Top-Mountain_small.jpg

Funny thing is that I bought there without having ever been, but I've always loved the Central Oregon area.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Eagle Crest in Redmond, OR. Nothing fancy at all about the place, but I think one would be hard pressed to find a better family resort.

The best thing about the resort, IMO, is that the resort & units are well thought out. They're townhouse units, so you have nobody above or below; the units back either to the golf course or the Deschutes River; they all have large decks with gas BBQ's and there's a lockable outdoor storage closet for each unit - large enough to hold bikes, golf clubs, coolers, etc.

Additionally, there are three golf courses and six(?) pools on site, so things usually aren't too crowded. Bike rentals, tennis clinics, horseback rides, craft classes, zumba, spa. Pretty much everything needed for a really fun and/or relaxing family vacation.

Want to take a day trip? The resort is a relatively short drive to Crater Lake NP,

crater-lake-1.jpg

Smith Rock State Park,

troy1000.jpg

Newberry National Volcanic Monument,

highlander_newberry-300x225.jpg

Mt Bachelor ski resort and numerous other outdoor destinations.

Also, daily views of many of the peaks of the Cascade Range.

Broken-Top-Mountain_small.jpg

Funny thing is that I bought there without having ever been, but I've always loved the Central Oregon area.

Awesome post!!! Very helpful to see the pics and understand what's nearby.

H

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just put a week on hold at Eagle Crest. It's been on my short list for quite awhile and this thread made me take a look to see what's available.

Our daughter is a climber and she and her boyfriend just spent a few weeks at Smith. Looks like a beautiful place!

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple for us

Whispering Woods was great. We were there about 20 years ago without having a clue about it or what was in the area. We were there when my kids were both very young. Peacefull with much to do a shor drive away.

We also enjoyed Cliffs Club in Vegas for relaxation, off the main areas and again, relaxation.
Bart

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not that I have large experience with many systems, but have found many, 'under the radar' clean, well located resorts in the Vacation Internationale family.

vacationdoc

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
eagle crest

The best thing about Eagle Crest for me is the juniper aromatherapy.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Eagle Crest

We have always enjoyed the Worldmark Units at Eagle Crest a little better then the other units. Might just be the little welcome packet but whatever it is when we have been there it has made a difference.
Bart

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Manteo Beach Resort and The Pines at Sunriver

Manteo Beach Resort in Kelowna was a very nice surprise. Townhouses with a garage on the lake with a fishing dock to the left and a sandy beach play area to the right and a nice walkway along the lake.

Central OR is also one of my favorites though I prefer Sunriver or Black Butte over Eagle Crest. The Pines at Sunriver was great. We could ride the bikes off the bike trail onto the porch. Close to the lodge and great viewing of the golf course along with the good hiking in the nearby Three Sisters Wilderness Area.

Sue

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is way different than the sort of thing that the rest of you are posting and my reasons for calling this a hidden gem, dont have much to do with the quality of the resort (although in my opinion it is top notch)

Wyndhams Avenue Plaza Resort, the floating weeks ownership. (not Wyndham Points or Worldmark Credits)

This is a 250 unit building built in the 1950's It was built as an all suites hotel. It is an urban resort located in the Garden District of New Orleans, There is a nice courtyard with a heated pool, a rooftop deck a complete spa and gym and the best steakhouse in town is in the building. So its all good. You can take the streetcar to the French Quarter and back and walk to the superdome. so no car is needed

But the reason I own multiple units here is the way the timeshare works. MF is reasonable (even low) and for every week you own, you have the right to another weeks use (just pay another fee) Also they allow split week reservations which means you can get 4 weekends in New Orleans with a one weeks ownership. There are folks that use one week for themselves and rent the other one bringing in enough to pay all the fees (can you say free vacation) Or with four 3 and 4 day stays you can attend all the Saints home games, or several of the various New Orleans events etc etc. It really is a flexible ownership and in my opinion a hidden gem

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Central OR is also one of my favorites though I prefer Sunriver or Black Butte over Eagle Crest. The Pines at Sunriver was great. We could ride the bikes off the bike trail onto the porch. Close to the lodge and great viewing of the golf course along with the good hiking in the nearby Three Sisters Wilderness Area.

Sue

I've stayed at Sunriver numerous times (non-TS). It's also a very nice resort, but I don't consider it nearly as much of a "hidden gem" as Eagle Crest. I also find Sunriver to be much more pretentious than EC. Having said that, Crosswater is a much nicer golf course than anything else I've played in that area.

It's really hard to go wrong with any of the resorts in that region.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Coincidence about the kudos for Whispering Woods? Just home from visiting my sisses in Portland and starting to plan for a t/s week around my niece's wedding in August '14. Her wedding venue is somewhere near Mt. Hood and a stay in Welches would be ideal. As expected, there's no availability showing with RCI for that time frame, though....

Eagle's Nest in Crested Butte was one of my favorite trades. The Osbourne Club in Torquay, England was too. Also Marco Polo Club Alpina in Austria!
TPI is a good source of inventory for Whispering Woods.