• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What kind of computer to replace WebTV?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My 89-year old mother has had WebTV for several years but we just learned that the internet access service from MSN will be discontinued as of Oct. 1. I need to find a very simple computer for her so that she can continue to do email and internet surfing. That would be all she would use it for, I think. She has just dial-up internet access at the retirement community where she lives.

She also needs a fairly big screen as she has macular degeneration. She'd need a keyboard, too.

Any suggestions?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 89-year old mother has had WebTV for several years but we just learned that the internet access service from MSN will be discontinued as of Oct. 1. I need to find a very simple computer for her so that she can continue to do email and internet surfing. That would be all she would use it for, I think. She has just dial-up internet access at the retirement community where she lives.

She also needs a fairly big screen as she has macular degeneration. She'd need a keyboard, too.

Any suggestions?
I would suggest an iPad or other large tablet with a bluetooth keyboard.
The community likely has WiFi to connect it to.
Simple for email and internet surfing and easy to pinch and zoom.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Look at the Chrome book. $250, easy to use & does everything she's likely to want/need. Has a keyboard - much easier for typing. Less expensive than tablets. No need for security/anti virus. It's a great transition from the old Web to. If she doesn't have WiFi access then get the $320 3g model (2 years of 3g service comes free).

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the Chrome book. $250, easy to use & does everything she's likely to want/need. Has a keyboard - much easier for typing. Less expensive than tablets. No need for security/anti virus. It's a great transition from the old Web to. If she doesn't have WiFi access then get the $320 3g model (2 years of 3g service comes free).

I second this suggestion. Seems like the perfect use of a Chromebook.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

I would purchase an iPad and get the 3G/4G option. We did that for my Mother in Law who is not tech saavy at all and she loves it. She has had absolutely no problem using it.

Then, we did the same thing for my father who is also not computer/tech saavy and he loves it, too.

Ease of use is way more important for seniors than price especially since they can always pop into the Apple store to get help on anything they don't understand. For anyone who has spent hours on the phone with their parents trying to help them with their computer, they know that simple things like "tell me what is on your desktop" can be the most confusing concept.

For a keyboard, I bought the standard Apple Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad mini. Works great.

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concur that iPad is the way to go with 4G. Forget the dial up. However, the cost is $20 per month with the iPad, but it is so much better than dial up.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Concur that iPad is the way to go with 4G. Forget the dial up. However, the cost is $20 per month with the iPad, but it is so much better than dial up.

Awfully costly when you add it in. Ipad $599, keyboard $50-125. Monthly 4g $20+.

Chromebook $320. Monthly $0 (24 months) $15 after. Keyboard standard. For someone going from Web TV / dialup this may be a much more palatable expense.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Awfully costly when you add it in. Ipad $599, keyboard $50-125. Monthly 4g $20+.

Chromebook $320. Monthly $0 (24 months) $15 after. Keyboard standard. For someone going from Web TV / dialup this may be a much more palatable expense.

Until something doesn't work and it becomes a very expensive paper weight because nobody can help them fix it.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Until something doesn't work and it becomes a very expensive paper weight because nobody can help them fix it.
Exactly, my mother in law liked the look of our netbook and wanted one. We got her an iPad instead and she loves it. The small screen, processor power and keyboard of the netbook were big deterrants to it being the day to day machine.
The chromebook could be a good alternative but Google may give up on the project then what ongoing support is there. They have given up on other things the people have loved like reader.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have a friend who is in her late 70s, who I just helped downgrade from a full-on laptop to a Chromebook. All she wanted to do was email, surf the web a bit, and do Facebook. She absolutely LOVES the Chromebook. For the $250~ price she paid, she couldn't be happier. Added bonus: It's very lightweight, doesn't overheat her lap when she uses it, and it has a very clear screen.

Dave

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is in her late 70s, who I just helped downgrade from a full-on laptop to a Chromebook. All she wanted to do was email, surf the web a bit, and do Facebook. She absolutely LOVES the Chromebook. For the $250~ price she paid, she couldn't be happier. Added bonus: It's very lightweight, doesn't overheat her lap when she uses it, and it has a very clear screen.

Dave

What if I want to use Skype to communicate with my kids? Do I have to switch to Google Voice?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'd hate to tell Grandma that she needs to have all of her friends sign up for Google Hangout to do what they've always done with Skype. Who is going to help her set it up?

I'll keep using my laptop as my home computer and my iPad mini as my remote device using dropbox for file sharing.

Having Skype was mighty handy when I was in Europe. I could make calls to the US over free wifi connections to bypass the high calling rates in Europe.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to tell Grandma that she needs to have all of her friends sign up for Google Hangout to do what they've always done with Skype. Who is going to help her set it up?

I'll keep using my laptop as my home computer and my iPad mini as my remote device using dropbox for file sharing.

Having Skype was mighty handy when I was in Europe. I could make calls to the US over free wifi connections to bypass the high calling rates in Europe.

I don't use either, but I can't imagine one is any more difficult to set up than the other. Hangouts is part of Google's apps suite so anyone using an Android to video chat with grandma is probably good to go.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And my friend has no plans to use Skype. I don't think she even knows what it is. Don't mention it to her, or she'll drag me back over again to get her set up. LOL! :)

Dave