• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At the RC club St Thomas

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am now at the RC club (sitting on the oceanfront balcony now). Just came directly from 1 week at Frenchmans Cove and now here for 1 week.

I'll submit a brief synopsis now and try to get more detailed. The resort itself has a very Maui Ocean Club/Ko Olina feel to it. More expansive than MFC. Really sparse with people (compared to MFC).

The resort abutts the RC hotel and the tower MVCI uses is Gardenia Building #6. My understanding is that the "suites" are only in this building (this is kind of a guess).

The 2 bedroom suite is as discussed on previous threads. The kitchen is small and has 2 half refrigerators. There are 2 burners on a compact stove w/ a combination convection oven/microwave. More than adequate for our purposes. Haven't been to the club lounge yet - will try tomorrow morning.

The common area of the suites is relatively small although adequate. No real dining area inside with a small table for no more than 3-4 people.

The two bedrooms are large and well equipped. Large bathrooms attached to both bedrooms. Master suite has a large closet. Beatiful marble floors throughout.

Large Balcony with large table with seating for 6 (replaces your eating area?). We are located on the 3rd floor with an excellent view.

Overall I am shocked by the relatively small difference in point cost between this and MFC.

I will try to post pictures over the next couple days.

Last edited:

ral

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your report. Looking forward to pictures when you get time. Does the unit look like it has been newly refurbished? When you say that the common area is relatively small, do you think it will be comfortable for 4 people? If there is no dining area, where would 4 people eat (other than the patio/balcony)? Sorry for all the questions, but we will be there in about a month and I am curious about the layout.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your report. Looking forward to pictures when you get time. Does the unit look like it has been newly refurbished? When you say that the common area is relatively small, do you think it will be comfortable for 4 people? If there is no dining area, where would 4 people eat (other than the patio/balcony)? Sorry for all the questions, but we will be there in about a month and I am curious about the layout.

No problem - just got back from dinner. Yes the units were just refurbished. They have redone the bathrooms and put in marble floors throughout. The furniture appears all brand new. The kitchen appears rehabbed with repainting of cabinents. The cooking area also appears brand new (small hood over 2 burners w/ a convection/microwave oven underneath).

There is a small round table for meals next to the kitchen with 3 chairs (deliberately excluded a fourth chair due to crowding or just missing in my unit). 2 stools at the counter in the small kitchen breakfast bar area. Overall it is a decent amount of space, just is small in proportion to the square footage of the bathrooms and the bedrooms.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "limited kitchen" in the two bedroom suites at The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas are why "the Suites" were sold with integral (to membership) access to a Member's Lounge in one of the two Suites Buildings, and three food presentations per day in that Member's Lounge for Suites' Members and their guests when in-house (in Suites).

The two bedroom residences in Phase I of The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas have full kitchens.

What are they serving at the three food presentations per day in the Suites' Member's Lounge?

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The "limited kitchen" in the two bedroom suites at The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas are why "the Suites" were sold with integral (to membership) access to a Member's Lounge in one of the two Suites Buildings, and three food presentations per day in that Member's Lounge for Suites' Members and their guests when in-house (in Suites).

The two bedroom residences in Phase I of The Ritz-Carlton Club, St. Thomas have full kitchens.

What are they serving at the three food presentations per day in the Suites' Member's Lounge?

The food presentations have been decreased to once per day (breakfast). That actually was well circulated before I came here and I was well aware of that change. I believe it changed from 3 to 1 at the end of 2011.

They serve an above average (less variety) buffet one would typically see in a luxury hotel. It still runs 7 days a week but only from 7-11 AM. The omlette station is closed on thursdays and fridays.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
having problems posting

the wi-fi here does appear a bit slow and I keep trying to upload images to photobucket but it keeps timing out. Will probably be forced to post after getting back home.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
the wi-fi here does appear a bit slow and I keep trying to upload images to photobucket but it keeps timing out. Will probably be forced to post after getting back home.
I think the slow wifi is a problem island-wide according to Frenchman's Cove.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
During the owners' meeting 2 years ago, they were aware there was a problem and were taking steps to improve it (bandwidth?) and said it was a problem throughout the island. I remember both times we were there only one person could get on the Internet at a time in our unit. We'll be back this Christmas and will see if it has improved. We never tried at the pool, however .

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I was at Frenchmans Cove last week and the wi-fi was consistently faster and more consistent.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: wifi at the beach/pool.

My how we've become so attached to the unattached world of today. :)

I hope you are able to receive fruity drinks at the beach/pool. Now that would be an issue, for me.

Enjoy!

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: wifi at the beach/pool.

My how we've become so attached to the unattached world of today. :)

I hope you are able to receive fruity drinks at the beach/pool. Now that would be an issue, for me.

Enjoy!

+1, totally agree.

Its amazing how we can physically travel to such beautiful places, call it a vacation, and have our brains somewhere else. At what point do we all live on the web more than in the moment?

Interesting indeed.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally I don't use wifi at the pool or beach but my wife likes to immediately upload pictures from her Iphone

ral

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. The color scheme seems very calming.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Those are terrific pictures -- and that location on Great Bay in St. Thomas is absolutely fantastic.

The accessibility of these properties to DClub is a real asset and I hope to visit the RC properties one day soon. I've stayed once in the hotel and really thought the property was terrific.

Thanks again for the pics --

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
By the way, do you recall if there were BBQs on the property? Thanks very much!

Greg

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
No there were no BBQs. I had expected that - I think I read in a review somewhere that there wouldn't be.

Other than the onsite restaurant, pool, and the beach it really had no amenities. You could use the amenities (e.g. fitness center, pools) at the Hotel. Other than that it had a setup and feel similiar to Ko Olina or Maui Ocean Club.

THere was no waterslide at the pool and no childrens playground. But my kids still really liked it. Pool/Beach was full service with umbrellas,chair covers, and towels set up by staff. Obvious difference from MFC - don't have to wash your towels in your washer. Beach was really long (especially coming from MFC) with mild surf. THe water was decent with some significant seaweed. Definitely much less rocky than MFC with less surf than the Morningstar beach.

There is no significant shop like a marketplace typical of Marriotts. The Hotel has a small shop mainly with apparel and very limited snacks - typical hotel set-up. They will pre-fill your fridge - you are sent an order form a few weeks before. Otherwise 2 nicer (for St Thomas) grocery stores within 5-10 minutes.

The club lounge breakfast was good all week. It was pretty sparse - I don't think the regular owners use it on a regular basis. The staff told me that end of week (thurs-Fri) the attendence is most reduced. The staff there was excellent - as would be expected.

I like this part of the island versus MFC - there always seemed to be a constant refreshing breeze. The proximity to Redhook is also nice. Obviously you are farther from the airport and Charlotte Amalie.

Balcony was huge. The picture I showed (with the 6 chairs,table, and 4 lounge chairs) was the main balcony. A smaller (although larger than your typical Marriott) was attached to the second bedroom. It contained 2 lounge chairs.

So overall I loved the unit, the oceanfront position, and the huge balcony. Service was also excellent. From my point of view I would have liked to have seen some more amenities (waterslide, playground, marketplace, etc). But still I thought it was excellent.

I liked it so much I booked another week(really because my wife loved it) in April through my VOA.

I personally think that it is definitely worth the point differential between MFC (I actually think it is a deal compared to MFC for what you get). But then we typically tend to only regularly eat in at breakfast in our typical vacations. So we barely used the limited kitchen. Also the prices at the restaurants and bars are typical Ritz-Carlton prices - so you will be paying more for these things.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No there were no BBQs. I had expected that - I think I read in a review somewhere that there wouldn't be.

Other than the onsite restaurant, pool, and the beach it really had no amenities. You could use the amenities (e.g. fitness center, pools) at the Hotel. Other than that it had a setup and feel similiar to Ko Olina or Maui Ocean Club.

THere was no waterslide at the pool and no childrens playground. But my kids still really liked it. Pool/Beach was full service with umbrellas,chair covers, and towels set up by staff. Obvious difference from MFC - don't have to wash your towels in your washer. Beach was really long (especially coming from MFC) with mild surf. THe water was decent with some significant seaweed. Definitely much less rocky than MFC with less surf than the Morningstar beach.

There is no significant shop like a marketplace typical of Marriotts. The Hotel has a small shop mainly with apparel and very limited snacks - typical hotel set-up. They will pre-fill your fridge - you are sent an order form a few weeks before. Otherwise 2 nicer (for St Thomas) grocery stores within 5-10 minutes.

The club lounge breakfast was good all week. It was pretty sparse - I don't think the regular owners use it on a regular basis. The staff told me that end of week (thurs-Fri) the attendence is most reduced. The staff there was excellent - as would be expected.

I like this part of the island versus MFC - there always seemed to be a constant refreshing breeze. The proximity to Redhook is also nice. Obviously you are farther from the airport and Charlotte Amalie.

Balcony was huge. The picture I showed (with the 6 chairs,table, and 4 lounge chairs) was the main balcony. A smaller (although larger than your typical Marriott) was attached to the second bedroom. It contained 2 lounge chairs.

So overall I loved the unit, the oceanfront position, and the huge balcony. Service was also excellent. From my point of view I would have liked to have seen some more amenities (waterslide, playground, marketplace, etc). But still I thought it was excellent.

I liked it so much I booked another week(really because my wife loved it) in April through my VOA.

I personally think that it is definitely worth the point differential between MFC (I actually think it is a deal compared to MFC for what you get). But then we typically tend to only regularly eat in at breakfast in our typical vacations. So we barely used the limited kitchen. Also the prices at the restaurants and bars are typical Ritz-Carlton prices - so you will be paying more for these things.

These are excellent comments -- thank you for the additional color on the property.

I stayed at the hotel at the end of Jan 2011 and I thought the location was fantastic. The hotel was pricey naturally, and I always thought the potential to stay in the Ritz timeshare was the best of both worlds. More than once, I pushed John Goodman (former Dir of Customer Advocacy of Marriott Vacation Club) that they should include Ritz properties in DClub, even if there was a monetary cost to the access. He kept telling me it would never happen because of difference in customer base. I was very happy last summer when it did come through, although I'm sure Ritz owners aren't thrilled.

The balcony comment is worth highlighting -- not only is this an outstanding balcony -- but the property itself is really a prime location. This is a great point about Marriott and Ritz Carlton, they truly have chosen excellent locations for their properties.

This is a real opportunity for us to stay at the Ritz Carlton using DClub points. I hope access remains reliable and consistent, and thank you again for your excellent report and pictures. I have to add it to the rotation.

Best,

Greg

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are excellent comments -- thank you for the additional color on the property.

I stayed at the hotel at the end of Jan 2011 and I thought the location was fantastic. The hotel was pricey naturally, and I always thought the potential to stay in the Ritz timeshare was the best of both worlds. More than once, I pushed John Goodman (former Dir of Customer Advocacy of Marriott Vacation Club) that they should include Ritz properties in DClub, even if there was a monetary cost to the access. He kept telling me it would never happen because of difference in customer base. I was very happy last summer when it did come through, although I'm sure Ritz owners aren't thrilled.

The balcony comment is worth highlighting -- not only is this an outstanding balcony -- but the property itself is really a prime location. This is a great point about Marriott and Ritz Carlton, they truly have chosen excellent locations for their properties.

This is a real opportunity for us to stay at the Ritz Carlton using DClub points. I hope access remains reliable and consistent, and thank you again for your excellent report and pictures. I have to add it to the rotation.

Best,

Greg

I agree that the Ritz access is a tremendous asset. If anything was going to motivate me to plunge in and buy trust points - this would be it. THe problem is the uncertainty of whether the relationship will be maintained. That was another motivating factor for me booking a second week in April - the uncertainty of the future.

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. The color scheme seems very calming.

It was all freshly painted. Also midweek the staff did place some art work on the walls and small rugs on the floor which are not in these pictures. THe tail end of the renovation. You will enjoy your unit when you get there next month.

Also I had Unit 6302(third floor middle unit in building 6 Gardenia). I think the suites are only in building 5 (heliconia) and 6 (I think I erroneously reported it as only building 6 above). Both buildings appear to have 3 units per floor. So the corner units probably have a different configuration. I hope you can post on your unit after your stay.

Also the lounge is in the top (5th) floor of building 6. Had breakfast on the lounge balcony(runs the length of the building) overlooking Great Bay.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was all freshly painted. Also midweek the staff did place some art work on the walls and small rugs on the floor which are not in these pictures. THe tail end of the renovation. You will enjoy your unit when you get there next month.

Also I had Unit 6302(third floor middle unit in building 6 Gardenia). I think the suites are only in building 5 (heliconia) and 6 (I think I erroneously reported it as only building 6 above). Both buildings appear to have 3 units per floor. So the corner units probably have a different configuration. I hope you can post on your unit after your stay.

Also the lounge is in the top (5th) floor of building 6. Had breakfast on the lounge balcony(runs the length of the building) overlooking Great Bay.

Building 5 and 6 -- where we believe the Suites are -- can you tell us where they are relative to the other timshare buildings? It appears from your balcony pic that they are closer to the hotel versus farther from the hotel? Which would be a positive in my view?

Thanks very much!

Greg

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Building 6 (where I was) is right next to the hotel (right next to the back side of the complex containing the ballrooms and the 2 main restaurants). You can take a sidwalk along the bay to the Hotel pool/beach and the resturants. You can walk toward the street/entrance which would be a shorter walk to the Hotel lobby/shop. T

I agree this is the ideal position. I suspect the other building sights were considered more prime views. They have a more direct view of St. John. In building 6 you have to be on the balcony to see St. John.