Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home | Resorts & Reviews| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
NEW! Add a 'Timeshare Vacation History' link to your posts! Learn How

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Member Banner Travels the World w/photos! Follow the Banner!

[No ad shown when registered users are logged in]

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old February 6, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Harry
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 13, 05

Resorts: Since 79; AZ,CA, Fl & HI = 10. Crack a law now & then, but don't break it.
Mayan Palace Rocky Point

I know nothing about Mexico timeshares. I was consulted about the value of a one bedroom suite (floating) for Mayan Palace. Off the top of my head, I suggested between $4000 and $5000. How far am I off???
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006, 05:05 PM   #2
aliikai2
TUG Review Crew: Veteran

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
On ebay

there is a floating MP unit with a buy it now price of $50, of course there is the pesky 10% of the original price transfer fee, and every 5 years they collect and additional years fees for upgrades, then every 25 years the charge another years worth of fees for your renewal, ..

My guess is that you were only off a couple of digits, $40-$500 . jmho, Greg
Old February 7, 2006, 11:20 PM   #3
brucecz

TUG Member

Resorts: 7 Oak Timber UDI's & 1 Cottage UDI' @ Christmas MT. 3 World Wide Vac Clubs used for (Lindo Mars PV. Mex)
Talking

Greg, IMHO I think you are to high on the resale price range WORTH by about $1,000 to $2,000 when dealing with those !~#%&)_)&*#$$%&()&* Mayan Place bloodsuckers.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliikai2
there is a floating MP unit with a buy it now price of $50, of course there is the pesky 10% of the original price transfer fee, and every 5 years they collect and additional years fees for upgrades, then every 25 years the charge another years worth of fees for your renewal, ..

My guess is that you were only off a couple of digits, $40-$500 . jmho, Greg
Old February 9, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Harry
TUG Member

Resorts: Since 79; AZ,CA, Fl & HI = 10. Crack a law now & then, but don't break it.
But it is a beautiful place, I guess from the reviews and RCI. What really is the serious value?
Old February 9, 2006, 01:00 PM   #5
brucecz

TUG Member

Resorts: 7 Oak Timber UDI's & 1 Cottage UDI' @ Christmas MT. 3 World Wide Vac Clubs used for (Lindo Mars PV. Mex)
Talking

Harry,The 10% resort tranfer fees take away from the value of the Mayans and the other excess charges that milk the owners for even more money. If you want a better ownership a RHC or Startwood ownership just to mention 2 ownerships are far better "Investments" than the Mayans.

Reread Greags list of the greedyness of the Mayans so you have an idea of the extra costs in getting suckered into buying a Mayan.

After staying in a newer Mayan 4 years ago in PV during a New Years week I feel that IMHO they have no soul among their many other defects and they would be among my last picks for a Mexico timeshare vacation.

The Mayans selling practices are sleazy and are directly attribuable to the head management. The Mayans IMHO are like a dead fish, they stink from the head down and they try to screw not only new buyers but the present owners out of more money.

I would much perfer the friendlier places like the Lindo Mar which is both RCI and II.

IMHO bigger is not always better and IMHO the Mayans IMHO certainly fit that saying.

For 2007 week 4 we passed on all of the Mayans in Cacun and took the Club International De Cacun an older Royal 2 bedroom 3 floor ocean front unit.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
But it is a beautiful place, I guess from the reviews and RCI. What really is the serious value?

Last edited by brucecz; February 9, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
brucecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Monica
TUG Member

Resorts: Mayan Palace, Pueblo Bonito SB-Cabo, Playa Conchal-Costa Rica
Check Holiday Group

People don't like the sales approach w/ the Mayan. The newer contracts have the 10% transfer fee; the older ones do not and they have lower maintenance fees than the newer contracts.

The Mayan Palace is great in that if you own at one, you own at all. We love our purchases! Check www.holidaygroup.com. I use Sandy Lyon.

I response to your original question, I think $4-5K for a red float week is too much on the resale market. Unless it includes all 52 weeks eligible for use.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006, 01:48 PM   #7
T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Diamond Resorts Poipu Raintree Vacation Club Winners Circle
I don't know Mayan Palace prices specifically. From my general knowledge of Club Regina prices, and assuming there are a decent number of years remaining on the Mayan Palace contract, I would think that your original assumption of about $4000 - $5000 may not be too far off if you are considering price to the buyer. I suspect the $4000 price is closer, as that would represent some premium over the price for a Club Regina non-holiday one-bedroom unit with 25 or so years remaining on the contract.

To get the listing price, you should subtract from that whatever the Mayan Palace transfer fee will be for the unit.

“If at first you don't fricassee, then fry, fry again.
T_R_Oglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Harry
TUG Member

So, what do I tell my friend?

Great responses; thanks. Bruce and Steve you both have been around TUG longer than I (and I have been here for many years). My friend has to sell but is not sure what price (she actually thought I would be interested). Should I direct her to Ebay? How about a re-sale broker who handles Mayans, without any up front costs of course?
Old February 9, 2006, 04:33 PM   #9
brucecz

TUG Member

Talking

Harry, thanks for the complicment but both Steve and Greg have been around longer and both are far smarter than I am so IMHO I suggest that you give more wieght to their comments than to mine.

A Starwood or RHC IMHO would give a better value.

Ebay sounds good if they are in a hurry. Otherwise maybe have them first list on several low cost websites. Then if they do not sell then maybe list with a resaler.

I feel a owner can better and more accurately explain the timehare usage, its advantages, etc than a saleperson that has no real life experiance with the owners resort or its FAB. (Features, Advantages or Benifits)

Bruce

[LEFT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
Great responses; thanks. Bruce and Steve you both have been around TUG longer than I (and I have been here for many years). My friend has to sell but is not sure what price (she actually thought I would be interested). Should I direct her to Ebay? How about a re-sale broker who handles Mayans, without any up front costs of course?

Last edited by brucecz; February 9, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
brucecz is offline   Reply With Quote