• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKV and CJ Timeshares experience.

mandoggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We purchase WKV in October resale. The maintenance fees were to be paid to CJ and then forwarded to Starwood.
Fast forward 4 months. So we decide to make a booking with our WKV SO. Lo and behold I am promptly told I cannot make a booking until my maintenance fees are paid. HUH? I said they were paid 4 months ago!
SW: No their not Me: Uh yes they are and then... back and forth blah blah blah.
As it turned out Starwood lost the cheque (the transfer papers and cheque went together) never told anyone. The SW rep even got sassy and said how do you know we didnt receive the cheque? Im like uh you transferred the property so you must of received the papers.......crickets lol
Well very seldom do you ever hear nice things about Timeshare companies....I really want to give Iris from CJ Timeshares a big thank you for really digging into this quickly and professionally.
It should be resolved within the day however Starwood gets a big BOO for being....well ya know a wee bit incompetent lolz.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Iris is great, I worked with her before and she always returns calls and responds promptly.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since the 2012 MF were not even billed for WKV until November 19, 2011, there was no bill that could have been paid in October (4 months ago). I believe you have been locked out for non-payment of 2012 MF. I also believe you may be getting BS from your closing company. It should have known where to send a check for payment - and that's not title services.

This seems to be another year-end screw by an eBay closer. ... eom

mandoggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cheque and papers were sent to Starwood November 21st. They were sent to the correct address as the papers and the cheque were sent together and it was confirmed transferred by Starwood in December. Unfortunately this is all Starwoods fault this time. They lost the cheque:(

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a Wyndham sale...The folks at CJ paid the amount in question immediately, so I could use my account then they went to work to find the mistake, As we suspected it was Wyndhams mistak.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Since the 2012 MF were not even billed for WKV until November 19, 2011, there was no bill that could have been paid in October (4 months ago). I believe you have been locked out for non-payment of 2012 MF. I also believe you may be getting BS from your closing company. It should have known where to send a check for payment - and that's not title services.

This seems to be another year-end screw by an eBay closer. ... eom

I would tend to think a proper follow-up by a E-Bay or other closer of re-sales would follow through with the transaction until it was confirmed complete. Especially when they took money from the buyer that was not credited for its stated purpose. I hope the re-seller promptly pays and the matter is resolved. It does appear the resort did reconize you as the owner, so the seller is now off the hook for the maintance fees. With this thread, it appears this re-seller is not consistantly doing business this way. There are now two reported cases of problems in this regard.

My biggest problem with this story is that the re-seller knew or should have know the maintance fee check was not cashed. Especially if it was their check.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My biggest problem with this story is that the re-seller knew or should have know the maintance fee check was not cashed. Especially if it was their check.

I agree. After four months, they should have reconciled their books and known the check wasn't cashed. When they figured that out (which should have been done within a month or so) they should have immediately taken steps to rectify the situation, including calling Starwood and their customer, the new owner. Blaming Starwood for this is obvious at first glance, and they definitely deserve some blame if they lost the check, but it's really the closing company which should have confirmed the check cashed, etc.

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. After four months, they should have reconciled their books and known the check wasn't cashed. When they figured that out (which should have been done within a month or so) they should have immediately taken steps to rectify the situation, including calling Starwood and their customer, the new owner. Blaming Starwood for this is obvious at first glance, and they definitely deserve some blame if they lost the check, but it's really the closing company which should have confirmed the check cashed, etc.

I have never heard of a closing company or title company make any initiative to let you know their check was not cashed. Actually, I do know of 1 time this happened when money was still in escrow for a year. :eek: I think they are simply too busy to babysit to make sure the cheque they issued was cashed.

At least they took care of the issue as soon as they knew about it.;)

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have never heard of a closing company or title company make any initiative to let you know their check was not cashed. Actually, I do know of 1 time this happened when money was still in escrow for a year. :eek: I think they are simply too busy to babysit to make sure the cheque they issued was cashed.

Then the bar for this industry needs to be raised. I run a service business, and this type of oversight would be inexcusable for us. After all, their job isn't done when the check is mailed, it's when the deed and all ownership privileges are transferred to the buyer, and not before.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Then the bar for this industry needs to be raised. I run a service business, and this type of oversight would be inexcusable for us. After all, their job isn't done when the check is mailed, it's when the deed and all ownership privileges are transferred to the buyer, and not before.

Moral of the above post may be do not deal with the firms that do not finish the closing process in a timely manner.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not true. As a licensed title and excrow company I am not only required to reconcile my escrow account every MONTH, I have to report that to my underwriter (they have to have the reconciled reports) who in turn reports that to the State of Florida. Any check that remains outstanding for more than 90 days draws attention. Further, if we do not report then the state takes action against us. All the more reason to know if your closing company is properly licensed by the state.

Even the ones where the seller netted $1 and did not cash it, we have to spend $38 to stop payment on them and then reissue the check which often still goes uncashed so that we can do it again in another 90 days.

After 5 years, I get to turn it over to unclaimed funds.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. As a licensed title and excrow company I am not only required to reconcile my escrow account every MONTH, I have to report that to my underwriter (they have to have the reconciled reports) who in turn reports that to the State of Florida. Any check that remains outstanding for more than 90 days draws attention. Further, if we do not report then the state takes action against us. All the more reason to know if your closing company is properly licensed by the state.

Even the ones where the seller netted $1 and did not cash it, we have to spend $38 to stop payment on them and then reissue the check which often still goes uncashed so that we can do it again in another 90 days.

After 5 years, I get to turn it over to unclaimed funds.

Then I assume you don't pay bills for customers by credit card. ... eom