Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Resort Regions > Mexico

Mexico Discussion of Mexican Timeshare Resorts and activities/tips for vacations in Mexico!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old December 18, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Rene McDaniel
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 10, 05
Going to Cabo in Feb & passport expires in June. Do I have to renew before I go?

We are flying to Mexico for 1 week in February, but I see that my passport expires in June of 2012. So, that means there will still be 4 months of validity left on it. I can't remember if you only need 3 months validity past your travel dates, or if it's 6 months.

I checked the US State Department website but I couldn't find anything. Anyone have any experience with this lately?

If I do have to renew it before I go, would I have to have the passport expedited at this point to make sure I get it back by President's Day? Or, if I just have it processed in the regular way is the turnaround time less than 6 weeks? I would hate to risk not having it back in time.

Thanks for any opinions, thoughts, or suggestions.

--- Rene
Rene McDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 07:06 PM   #2
california-bighorn

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, Imperial of Waikiki, World Wide Vacations Club
I thought the passport needed to be valid for another 6 months from date of departure, but, I'm sure someone who knows for sure will advise.
I gotta go where it's warm.
"Boat Drinks" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band
FINS UP !!! Marty
california-bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Luanne

TUG Member

Resorts: Maui Lea at Maui Hill San Diego Country Estates
I found this on Travel.State.Gov

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?
a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
Check the Mexican Consulate's website and the airline's. If none of them require extra time, you are good to go, just renew when you get home. If you opt to renew beforehand, you have plenty of time. Turnaround for our SIL & grands' passports was only about 3 weeks recently.

Jim
Old December 20, 2011, 11:19 AM   #5
SDMiller

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Mar 8, 10

Resorts: MOC, Ko'Olina (2weeks) Frenchman's Cove, Marriott Shadowridge (Enclaves) and Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.
The only time I saw this an issue was when we traveled to Africa - they did check the expiration date, most other countries did not - some didn't even catch my last name didn't match the Visa or the airline ticket. So I believe it would vary according to the country.

SD
SDMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2011, 05:50 PM   #6
bobpark56
TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 3, 08

Resorts: Marriott Grande Vista, Westin Lagunamar, Westin St John, Sandos Caracol, DRI (The Club), Festiva Points
Passport

I, too, have been told that you can't go to Mexico if your passport expires within 6 months. I don't recall whether that relates to arrival or departure date...but I think it's arrival (how would they know when you plan to depart?).
bobpark56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2011, 07:28 PM   #7
jbcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpark56 View Post
I, too, have been told that you can't go to Mexico if your passport expires within 6 months. I don't recall whether that relates to arrival or departure date...but I think it's arrival (how would they know when you plan to depart?).
Not knowing when you will depart is exactly the reason they want a buffer period before expiration. In case you weren't aware, a tourist visa is good for 180 days (six months).

John
jbcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2011, 05:52 PM   #8
nazclk
TUG Member

Resorts: So Cal, Hawaii, Mexico
Passport

I think I saw a similiar post a long time ago and it said the passport has to be valid for 6 months as of the day of departure
nazclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2011, 11:21 PM   #9
DonnaD
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 11, 05

Resorts: Raintree Vacation Club: Club Regina
Passport must be good for at least 6 months

I hope that you have renewed your passport. I was informed by Grand circle Tours to make sure our passports are good for 6 months beyond our return date.
DonnaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2011, 11:22 AM   #10
GregD

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
I never new passports needed to be valid 6 months after a departure date! I always assumed that as long as you were home by the expireation date you would be fine... I am Canadian and am woundering if it is the same for us?
GregD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Larry

TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazclk View Post
I think I saw a similiar post a long time ago and it said the passport has to be valid for 6 months as of the day of departure
I think it depends on where you are going. I went to Aruba in January of this year and returned 3 days prior to my passport expiration date, with no problems and I asked AA before I left and was told travel to Aruba only needs a valid passport with a return date before expiration. I thought Mexico and Canada had the same requirements and don't need six months prior to expiration.

I then went to Israel in June and renewed my passport and my wife's passport as soon as we returned from Aruba since both were expiring within six monts.
Old December 30, 2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Passepartout

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Feb 10, 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcoug View Post
Not knowing when you will depart is exactly the reason they want a buffer period before expiration. In case you weren't aware, a [Mexican] tourist visa is good for 180 days (six months).

John
This makes sense. By requiring that a visitor's passport is valid for the entire period of a tourist visa, they make sure you will be valid to enter your home country when your visa expires.

Incidentally, the OP was 6 weeks ago and time is getting short for renewal (without expediting at extra charge) before a February departure.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:55 PM   #13
CURIOUS1
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 18, 08

Resorts: Tahiti Village-Las Vegas, Mayan Palace, UVC, Hacienda del Mar & La Tranquila Resort, Canto Del Sol
We traveled to Cabo in November 2010 & my passport expired in January 2011. I never had an issue while in Mexico.

I think it depends on how long you are staying in Mexico. Probably if you are staying over the time that your passport expires; I would renew my passport.

I never knew about the 6 months window period. Interesting?
CURIOUS1 is offline   Reply With Quote