• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Princeville Weather

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

As TUGgers will recall, I've been studying WPORV and hoping to visit one year in October. I did receive confirmation today to go to WPORV Oct 5-12, 2012 (using WM for the trade -- I love WM).

I've been reading what I can on the rainfall in Princeville, because I know it's the rainy side of the island, and October starts the rainy season.

I found this chart, which I think is very interesting for rainfall (no temperature data -- but it averages 79 degrees in October per a separate site), and am posting it for some future thread surfer. This is the best data I could find on the daily precipitation for Princeville (two stations -- Kilauea 1134 and Princeville Ranch 1117).

http://www.climate-charts.com/USA-Stations/HI/HI514561.php

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliF302000.pl?hi8165

I would welcome thoughts and comments -- but am feeling good about the trip in the first half of October.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, October is a great time to be on Kauai. November is probably the rainiest month - especially for the North Shore. October will be beautiful, and if it is too rainy, just head south :) The water will still be quite warm. (water temps are warmest in August)

There will be far fewer people there then some other times of the year, as kids are in school, and it's not mid-winter with people avoiding bad winter weather.

I would love to go at that time. I think you'll be very happy :) :)

(a month and 8 days til I make it back to Kauai!!:cheer: :cheer: )

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I found another site that has data for all months (with data on a daily basis) going back a number of years -- very interesting to look back to see the actual daily results (you can query for a specific month, going back to 2005).

I looked at all of the October's going back to 2005 (they didn't have 2010) and was very encouraged by the modest rainfull in the first two weeks of October.

Scrapngen, thank you for your comments -- I'm really excited for this trip!!

Best,

Greg

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/hydro/pages/rra_graphs.php?station=PRIH1

Last edited:

yeereid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Shearwater-Kauai
Maui Sunset
GregT-

In the past, I have usually traveled to Hawaii (Kauai, Maui, Oahu, Big Island) in Mar/April or June. Just returned from BI in Oct and Oct is now going to be our official go to month for Hawaii! The weather was perfect, it was not infested with kids due to Spring Break or Summer vacation, and the water temperature was like bath water. Just exchanged to go back to Shearwater in Princeville for late Oct 2012!:cheer:Only own EOY at Shearwater but have been trading to go EY lately! You'll love Princeville!

Last edited:

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You never know!!

Over the years we have stayed 6 or 7 times in Princeville. One time (the best) it rained for about a half hour every mid afternoon and the air was freshened.Before and after it was partly cloudy.We had anothe rtime it looked like it was really going to rain every day and we went South to golf but actually could have stayed with no problem. When we lived in Hawaii we can remamber when it rained for an entire week or so most of the time.Even when it is rainy it is warm and we have golfed where we got sprinkled on 7 or 8 times during a round. Just Go!!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You'll love it in October. There's no bad time to be in Princeville. If i rains drive
to another part of the island. Your going to love it.:D

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, you will really enjoy this resort. Congratulations on the exchange. We haven't stayed there, but we visited it a couple of times and toured a room while we stayed at our old resort in Princeville. The main pool is outstanding and the two smaller pools that are closer to the ocean were very nice as well. The grounds were well kept and very open.

We have stayed in Princeville in October before and got some rain, but nothing that stopped us from enjoying the island.

Have a great time.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance, but which resort does WPORV refer to? We're planning on being in Princeville at the end of November 2012, and we're tossing around several lodgings to request. Thanks for any advice/observations you can provide (sorry to hear that November is the wettest, but it seems like even when it's crappy, it's great).

-----Zach

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please excuse my ignorance, but which resort does WPORV refer to? We're planning on being in Princeville at the end of November 2012, and we're tossing around several lodgings to request. Thanks for any advice/observations you can provide (sorry to hear that November is the wettest, but it seems like even when it's crappy, it's great).

-----Zach

Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas -

resort12.jpg

kr-westin.jpg

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! To misquote Rainman, "tolerable....definitely tolerable". Thanks for sending.
Along this line (and there's probably information elsewhere), does anyone have thoughts or observations about the Hanalei Bay Resort?

Thanks again,
Zach

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg, we were at WPORV the last week of October last year, and LOVED it! Yeah, it rained, but it never put a damper on our good times there. One day, we had golf lessons at the Prince golf course, and the skies opened up! Everyone ran for cover and we ended up having the best time - and an ultra-long lesson! The golf pro was a hoot, and the rain really made the lesson unforgettable. We yo-yo'd back and forth from cover to the driving range between squalls. I would not hesitate to go back to Princeville at ANY time of the year! (I actually was in Kauai last month, and it was too sunny! I think Hanalei Bay is absolutely breathtaking with misty, cloudy skies!)

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there last October and it was rainy, but lovely. I loved the resort and wandered around in the rain a lot.
Liz

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! To misquote Rainman, "tolerable....definitely tolerable". Thanks for sending.
Along this line (and there's probably information elsewhere), does anyone have thoughts or observations about the Hanalei Bay Resort?

Thanks again,
Zach

We used to stay at the Hanalei Bay Resort and loved it, until they built the Westin. HBR is still lovely and has wonderful views, but their restaurant and bar has been closed for some time. We heard they were planning to reopen but so far, nothing has happened. This makes HBR less desirable, in my opinion.

hgjames

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to live in Princeville. From a vacationing stand point I think September is the best time of year, and that could include the first half of October. The ocean is at its peak temperature in October.

Typically around mid October the first winter swell rolls in. Great times for surfers, but snorkeling/swimming options start to decrease. Napali coast boat rides also end in October.

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed in Princeville in October before and got some rain, but nothing that stopped us from enjoying the island.

Have a great time.

I dont think rain stops anyone from having a good time in Hawaii. October is my favorite travel month.

Last edited by a moderator: