• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I got a product that exceeded expectations today... Big Green Egg Table (PICS INSIDE)

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ordered a cypress table on eBay from "bge_tables4less"; $250 + $60 shipping. The factory tables are about $600. Today I unpacked it and assembled it, and WOW. If ever a product exceeded my expectations, this one did. Assembly took about 45 minutes, with me taking my time; I'm sure I could have knocked it off in half an hour. He still has small tables; $200 + shipping. Not affiliated, etc, just glad to see good ol' American craftsmanship in action, and I think that it should be noticed.

It came as 4 pieces with hardware. Notice the beveled edges and the heavy bracing:

_5190028.jpg

_5190029.jpg

Fully assembled. I KNOW THE DECK LOOKS LIKE CRAP, WE'RE TEARING IT DOWN AND REPLACING IT! So back off. :D

_5190031.jpg

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's always nice to receive something that exceeds expectations. Looks to be a very nicely made table. What size is your BGE? I almost bought one last year, but went with a WSM instead.

Lets Get Going

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you like your BGE?

My husband has been eye balling these things for awhile but I just can't give in to that price. What is your opinion on them? Worth the $ or not?

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I've only had it a couple weeks, so it's too soon to tell. I will say that I've purchased two expensive gas grills in the last 10 years, and this one costs less than those two added together, and the egg reputedly lasts a lifetime; people will them to their kids, etc.

What I like best is that it gets up to 650* easily, and the first steaks I did on it tasted like top steakhouse steaks; seared on the outside, super juicy and very meaty/savory. 3/4 inch ribeyes, 2 minutes on each side then 2 minutes with the fire closed off, then a 5 minute rest on the plate. And that 650* means it does pizzas, too.

At 400* internal temp, you can rest your hand on the outside comfortably. At 650*, you can put your palm flat on it, but you can't leave it there. The outside is cooler than gas.

It heats up in about the same amount of time a gas grill does. So far it looks like the cost of lump charcoal is comparable to that of gas; it costs less, but uses more. The difference in cost of fuel per season is probably negligible.

In the end it's like any purchase made with discretionary income, I think. If there's something else you need the $750 (cost of large egg) for, or something else you'd rather have, then get that and don't look back. But if you like to cook out, and use your deck a lot, and your grill needs to be replaced anyhow, you can justify the incremental cost over the gas grill the same way I did.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does look very nice. Does it have any type of finish on it? If not, I'd suggest an easy to apply exterior oil coating, (Watco brand comes to mind). If you just rub some on every year, it should last indefinitely ~ Ron

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. There was a brochure for sealing stain, but it said to wait 6 months before applying. I was thinking of using linseed oil, but I will definitely look into the Watco.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Ron. There was a brochure for sealing stain, but it said to wait 6 months before applying. I was thinking of using linseed oil, but I will definitely look into the Watco.

It's been years since I've used this stuff, but here's a link to Watco Teak Oil ~ Ron

glypnirsgirl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at these, also.

I am curious about whether there is an improvement in flavor? The steaks sound delicious!

elaine

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a Kamado while I was growing up. http://www.kamado.com/history.htm These were the Japanese predecessor of the BGE. I have no memory of how our middle-class family acquired this thing. I DO remember the food that it produced. Wonderfully tasty- the adjustable damper and vent allowed for infinite temp control. You could even choke the fire out to save charcoal after use.

My brother bought one for himself even though at the time he was a condo dweller and had it on his entry porch.

I found these a little harder to use than a gas grill, and have a wood pellet fired smoker for my longer cooking creations.

That said, if I lived where the climate was a bit more friendly to year-round outdoor living, an outdoor kitchen, including a BGE would be part of it.

Mosca, I await the invite to the new deck and eats from the BGE. Oh, nice carrier/dolly.

Jim Ricks

John_k41

Reaction score
How can I get in touch with this guy?

Nice table! Congrats!

I'd love to get one as well, but live in Canada. I know he's on ebay but I can't seem to contact him. Do you know how I can get in touch with him?...thanks and happy Q'n

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
We've had one for years!

We've had a Big Green Egg for several years and find that it's one of the most wonderful things ever! We didn't get the table; we got the simple stand on rollers. We also have one of the larger Kamato grills (the Japanese version, predecessor of the BGE).

If you live in Canada, there might be a dealer locally; try going to www.biggreenegg.com and see if they have one for you. There are dealers all over the US. We bought ours at our local coal and charcoal dealer (believe it or not) in Middlefield, Ohio, a center of the Amish community; we found a sign for another dealer in Middlefield as we were driving down the street. If they have dealers in Middlefield, they should have dealers all over the place.

In any case, this is a grill, a smoker, a baker -- you name it. It is fantastic.

:cheer:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice table! Congrats!

I'd love to get one as well, but live in Canada. I know he's on ebay but I can't seem to contact him. Do you know how I can get in touch with him?...thanks and happy Q'n

John, try reaching him through the ebay contact feature; "bge_tables4less" is the user name.