• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points rental message board

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I created a simple message board for classified ads to more easily allow people to rent points. Please see the linked website. The point rental format is intended to be very simple -- please post any feedback over there, versus on TUG.

I started it with a 90 day period and will extend it if TUGgers find it useful. I hope it works....????

Best,

Greg

http://members.boardhost.com/MVCDPoints/index.html

Last edited:

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in. Thanks for taking the lead on this.

All,

I created a simple message board for classified ads to try to more easily facilitate points rentals. Please see the linked website. The points rental format is intended to be very simple -- please post any feedback over there, versus on TUG.

I started it with a 90 day period and will extend it if TUGgers find it useful. I hope it works....????

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Congrats to Tom and Ken for a successful points rental transaction! I hope it helped!

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

It appears to be getting a decent amount of foot traffic, so I did renew it for another 180 days -- so it is good thru the end of the year. I hope it is useful!

Best,

Greg

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep it going GregT! I bought 500 points the other days to extend a stay in Hawaii during Christmas. Great work...

I think also the points' rental will accelerate as we pass the dead line of June.

David

All,

It appears to be getting a decent amount of foot traffic, so I did renew it for another 180 days -- so it is good thru the end of the year. I hope it is useful!

Best,

Greg

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good work for putting this thing up Greg. Maybe I will buy some points one day.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Good work for putting this thing up Greg. Maybe I will buy some points one day.

I've got my request in for some 2012 points. :cool:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

Just a few comments -- there have been a reasonable amount of points rentals, they appear to be around a range of $0.45 - $0.60 per point, with most in the $0.50 - $0.55 per point. The basic assumption of remaining time to point expiration appears to be the most common denominator in pricing (and number of points transacted appears modestly important as well). I appreciate the feedback and kind comments from the people participating in the transactions.

I admit that I am surprised that points pricing has come down as quickly as it has. Recall that I rented points out for $0.65 per point in an experiment conducted last August or September. I didn't expect points pricing to reach an approximate $0.50 so quickly.

As background, when I bought my Worldmark account in 2005, points rented for about 7.5 cents per credit (ie, point) and MFs were approx 5.0 cents per credit. Over time, MFs have risen to approx 6.0 cents per credit (at least for my size account, larger accounts pay less) and credits can be rented with relative ease for also 6.0 cents per credit. Accordingly, I reached the conclusion of why buy more WM credits if they can be rented easily and without penalty?

Forgive the long message here, but because of the ability to rent/transfer points, those who have enrolled in DClub may find that there really isn't a reason/need to buy more Marriotts (for trading at least), if you are able to rent points for something close to the MF value over time. Every time I look at a Marriott timeshare on eBay, I'm reaching the same conclusion, that buying it just isn't necessary unless its for personal use.

Interesting stuff (to me at least!)

Best to all,

Greg

Last edited:

floyddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting indeed. Rest assured that Marriott will take action to remedy this situation if it adversely impacts them. They are in business to sell points so if renting points becomes too popular they will do something to stop it. In reality, the ease of rentals may help them sell more points. Time will tell.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting indeed. Rest assured that Marriott will take action to remedy this situation if it adversely impacts them. They are in business to sell points so if renting points becomes too popular they will do something to stop it. In reality, the ease of rentals may help them sell more points. Time will tell.

Floyddl,

You are right, there is nothing that I am aware of that prevents Marriott from taking the transfer ability/feature away. Others (Wyndham) have taken it away, and it is a concern of mine that Marriott will do so also.

However, I believe Marriott won't take the transfer ability away becausee I believe the use of points to make reservations benefits Marriott (because of the skim) and if people couldn't transfer points, they might be less likely to redeem their weeks for points (and be skimmed in the process).

It's all speculation of course, but interesting to me. We'll see how the rules change in the future, and how much those new rules cost us.

Best,

Greg

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

Just a few comments -- there have been a reasonable amount of points rentals, they appear to be around a range of $0.45 - $0.60 per point, with most in the $0.50 - $0.55 per point. The basic assumption of remaining time to point expiration appears to be the most common denominator in pricing (and number of points transacted appears modestly important as well). I appreciate the feedback and kind comments from the people participating in the transactions.

I admit that I am surprised that points pricing has come down as quickly as it has. Recall that I rented points out for $0.65 per point in an experiment conducted last August or September. I didn't expect points pricing to reach an approximate $0.50 so quickly.

First of all, thanks for facilitating the forum/board on this. Very usefull and also enriching. I have done 3 experiences and here are my conclusions:

(1) the first one (selling 50 points, 2011) was experimental and to help someone just close/book his vacations. Not too much discussion on MY price ($0.60/points paypal). Conclusion: Difference in price on this small quantity was less important to the buyer than just have the deal done (and vacations booked).

(2) the second was buying 500 points (2011) at $0.44/point, although I only needed half of them (adding days for Hawaii). The seller used your forum and announced his price ($0.44/point). I was surprised by his low pricing, especially taking into account he had the option to bank them to 2012 at that time. At that price, I just decided to buy them all.

Conclusion: some people have "orphan" points and just want to sell them to cover their costs/MFs. If not, they are risking to lose all. This trend could accelerate after banking deadline is passed (end of June 2011).

(3) the third transaction (still pending 3375 points, 2012) at $0.47/point. The seller seems to have a significant amount of weeks that he will not used. He announced a higher price ($0.55). However, I told him that my starting point is 3BR MGV at $0.37. In fact, I have 2 choices to had days to my deeded weeks in 2012: (1) convert one of my week or (2) rent some 2012 points.

I negociate to be in the middle ($0.47) and to take all the points of one full deeded week. Conclusion: price is higher than his MF and he has one deeded week to worry less about. A lot of people are just wanting to cover their MFs + small profit. They have written-off their initial investment in their head.

As background, when I bought my Worldmark account in 2005, points rented for about 7.5 cents per credit (ie, point) and MFs were approx 5.0 cents per credit. Over time, MFs have risen to approx 6.0 cents per credit (at least for my size account, larger accounts pay less) and credits can be rented with relative ease for also 6.0 cents per credit. Accordingly, I reached the conclusion of why buy more WM credits if they can be rented easily and without penalty?

Forgive the long message here, but because of the ability to rent/transfer points, those who have enrolled in DClub may find that there really isn't a reason/need to buy more Marriotts (for trading at least), if you are able to rent points for something close to the MF value over time. Every time I look at a Marriott timeshare on eBay, I'm reaching the same conclusion, that buying it just isn't necessary unless its for personal use.

Interesting stuff (to me at least!)

Greg

As mentionned in another post (early this week), I came to the same conclusion. Buying more deeded weeks without being able to include them in DC program is not interesting at all. Unless you are buying THE week that you want for use or can one day be included into DC (Europe, Asia, etc.).

Recently, I bought a Cypress Harbour (summer) and could not include it into DC, so I just re-sold it. MVCI makes it too complicated (no DC program, two Interval accounts, etc.).

The situation is evolving. Renting is becoming more and more the solution: becoming cheap (price per point close to MFs), flexible (all Marriotts "in theory") and, finally but most important, without long term commitment.

Interesting stuff for me too and keep the discussion going.

Last edited:

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use a "contract" when "renting points"? I did not use it until now but the last seller proposed one to me. Here it is attached:
GregT: feel free to put it on your website (for use by others).

Attachments

• Timeshare Points Agreement-2.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 116

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
David,

I did not use a contract when I rented my points out, but I think this is an interesting addition -- I'll upload it to the gtibbitts.tripod.com website for those that wish to use it, and will leave it up to the participants to decide.

Thanks as well for the detailed information on your trades, its certainly useful to see real life transactions.

Best,

Greg

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good evening/morning...

This 6 hour time change is getting to me....

Can we insert a place in the ad for expiration date of the points and Trust v Legacy points...

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
good evening/morning...

This 6 hour time change is getting to me....

Can we insert a place in the ad for expiration date of the points and Trust v Legacy points...

I think that is a good idea, although having just completed a rental transaction that appears to have gone smoothly with MVCI, I am curious to hear more on the significance of the difference between Trust and Legacy points for rental purposes. :ponder:

siberiavol

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could someone walk me through the process of rental of points? Who calls Marriott and what information do they need? I assume the transfer of the money is done based on the individual agreement between the parties? Is there a norm there?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Could someone walk me through the process of rental of points? Who calls Marriott and what information do they need? I assume the transfer of the money is done based on the individual agreement between the parties? Is there a norm there?

When I rented out my points (all negotiated via email), my renter and I agreed on the price and the number of points to be rented. The renter sent me his full name and address, and his Marriott DClub account number (available from the VOA). He sent me the rental payment (full payment) via PayPal and I called my Marriott VOA and had them transfer the points from my account to his account. I also emailed my VOA with the information and cc:'d the buyer on the email so they were pretty comfortable that the process was going as advertised.

Davidn247 has created a template that documents the transaction and I think is a good addition, because the renter still had some risk of sending the monies and then there being a delay in fulfilling the points transfer (although PayPal has some protections too -- I couldn't get the money released to me for some time -- 21 days I think?)

It's very easy, and very similar to how we do it with Worldmark (except you have to send a fax with Worldmark).

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

I've made some modifications to DavidN247's draft points rental agreement, and have uploaded it to the gtibbitts.tripod.com account.

The points rentals message board is unchanged. I've also uploaded version 8 of the DClub points list to the tripod account.

Best to all,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

I've updated the Sample Points Transfer Agreement on the gtibbitts.tripod.com, to clarify the type of Point rented (Trust or Legacy Points).

As discussed in a separate thread, it is very very important to ensure that you rent points that combine with your existing points, to avoid reservations difficulties.

If you are trying to make a reservation using your Trust Points, then it is best to rent Trust Points.

If you are trying to make a reservation using your Legacy Points, then it is best to rent Legacy Points.

Good luck!

Greg

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My guess is that trust points will be in short supply. Wonder if there will be a difference in rental price between trust and legacy points.

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deadline for 2011 over

Folks,

The deadline for banking 2011 DC points is now behind.

Not sure if people were diligent about this deadline. For sure, we can expect a lot of "orphan" points (50, 75, etc) to be available in the next months for rent.

By the way, just came back from Marriott Marbella. Beautifull and pleasant.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

Interesting ad/experiment going on over at the Points Rental Message Board (and this is not my ad). The website linked is included below as my website.

There is an ad listed yesterday for 2,725 points, 2011 Usage Year (I contacted the seller to confirm specifics, including usage year -- and she is a very nice lady) available for rent at $800. Because it is now after June 30, 2011, those points must be used in 2011.

This is interesting because it confirms a hypothesis raised in earlier posts, and is consistent with what I've seen with Worldmark point rentals. As the expiration nears, the ask and bid prices drop accordingly.

As you can imagine, there has been a good amount of interest in this listing, considering its only been listed a day.

Good luck to all,

Greg

Last edited:

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
I am only selling them this cheaply if it works out because I really can't use them and don't want it to be wasted.

IF I am unable to make a love connection I may just give a week away somewhere at church or my office.

I, in general, agree with the price point of 50cpp. I look at this as a fire sale, though, as these points have to be used by 2011 end.

I will let you know what happens. I have contacted everyone who contacted me.

I have rented my points frequetnly on DVC. Different system, generally $10pp and never had a problem. No contracts.There are people there who have almost built a cottage industry around renting points. If you go to wdwinfo.com on the DVC boards you see an ad by a man who rents poitns same day all reosts now..not sure how he does this. I often refer my friends here to rent for vacations.

When I spoke with Owner Services they said I can transfer my points to another DC owner or I can give them away to a third party.