Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Exchanging

Exchanging Discuss all aspects of exchanging timeshare intervals here including RCI Points, whether through Exchange Companies (RCI, II and Others), or directly with other owners. Please no advertisements which belong elsewhere on TUG. Ads will be deleted.

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old March 6, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
pedro47
TUG Review Crew: Veteran

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05
Question New Interval International Platinum Level Membership?

Is anyone going to upgrade their membership in Interval International to the new Platinum Level?
pedro47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011, 04:30 PM   #2
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, 7 x Kauai Beach Villas
There are 2 ongoing discussions you may want to check out and the Marriott and Starwood forums. I am not merging them, because each system has a unique relationship with II.

my webpage
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
hjtug
TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Dec 17, 06
I inadvertently posted the following on the Starwood Forum and am reposting it here for folks, like myself, who don't usually check that forum:

I just noticed the Platinum information on the II website. If one is interested only in the Getaway discounts the break even point for getting your money back with Gold is two Getaways per year. With Platinum it is a bit more than that.

Special programs that allow someone to pay more for improved services bug me when they take away from those who choose not to pay. Platinum seems to do this by giving members an earlier shot at Getaways than everyone else.

When you book a Getaway they give you the opportunity to sign up for Gold or Platinum at that time.

I wonder about the companion airfare benefit. I always suspect that with that kind of deal you will end up paying more for the first ticket than you would if you searched for the best deal on your own and that your flight choices are likely to be more limited.
hjtug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
pedro47

TUG Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseM View Post
There are 2 ongoing discussions you may want to check out and the Marriott and Starwood forums. I am not merging them, because each system has a unique relationship with II.
Thanks, DeniseM, I just finish reading the Marriott thread.
Old March 7, 2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Born2Travel

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 7, 05
Special programs that allow someone to pay more for improved services bug me when they take away from those who choose not to pay. Platinum seems to do this by giving members an earlier shot at Getaways than everyone else.

I totally agree with this and I see it happening more and more as they try to find more ways to make money. Worldmark has also done this with their Travelshare program, and I have refused to pay them any more $$, however they have devalued the membership I bought into in the first place, and there are no guarantees that those who spend the extra $$ will not have something "added" above their membership and it could go on and on...
Old March 10, 2011, 09:58 AM   #6
kimlew

BBS Reg. Date: Apr 22, 10
Interval international Platinum membership

Here is the information I received from II

Prices
1year $129 two years $258 three years $329 5 years $516

List of benefits

Website: http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=60&s=platinum

To check out the companion fare restrictions go to:
http://www.companionticketinfo.com/#terms

Happy Travels!
kimlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2011, 10:00 AM   #7
rickandcindy23

TUG Member

Resorts: Wyndham,RCI,Shell, WorldMark,OKW, SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Custom House;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP (lots)
Three threads for the same subject.

October: DisWld with grandkids
November:DisWld again
Late November: Disneyland
January: DisWld again
March: Maui
April: Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach
rickandcindy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2011, 09:21 AM   #8
dmbrand
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 8, 07
I upgraded to Platinum this week. Interval was able to credit me for the remainder of my Gold membership and apply it to the Platinum fee. The deciding factor was the free guest certificates and $50 Getaway discount.

I did notice a few summer weeks for this summer as listed as Priority in Orlando, but not enough to justify upgrading for that reason only. Might be too soon to tell at this point.

We don't have an Entertainment booklet, so I was happy to see that we can utilize all those coupons with the Gold/Platinum. Not sure we will use the other "enhancements", though.

I saw that there are two other threads on this, but since I don't have a Marriott/Starwood product, I picked this one.
dmbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:28 PM   #9
DrBopp
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 9, 10

Resorts: Wyndham Points Sheraton Broadway Plantation Sea Crest Surf & Racquet Ellington@Wachesaw East Spinnaker@ Waterside
II Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrand View Post
I upgraded to Platinum this week. Interval was able to credit me for the remainder of my Gold membership and apply it to the Platinum fee. The deciding factor was the free guest certificates and $50 Getaway discount.

I did notice a few summer weeks for this summer as listed as Priority in Orlando, but not enough to justify upgrading for that reason only. Might be too soon to tell at this point.

We don't have an Entertainment booklet, so I was happy to see that we can utilize all those coupons with the Gold/Platinum. Not sure we will use the other "enhancements", though.

I saw that there are two other threads on this, but since I don't have a Marriott/Starwood product, I picked this one.
I am thinking of going Platinum in September. I look at the Guest Certificates and the companion airfare as the deciding factors. I got enough timeshares and points, so I don't think I will be using the Getaways, but who knows. I don't fly that often, but I was wondering if the companion airfare is worth it or would I be able to find a better deal myself? Someone please give me some input on this. I am planning on a 2012 trip to SF from NC. Thanks in advance.

Gordon
DrBopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 06:51 AM   #10
dmbrand
TUG Member

Hi Gordon,
There are limitations on this companion airfare: blackout dates, participating cities, etc. From your post, I chose a random date for a San Francisco - Raleigh airfare to put into the site. It returned a price of $630(taxes not incl) for two on June 11-18, 2011. Not sure if that is considered a savings or not over direct bookings.

Currently, the airfare search engine will not go further than early April, 2012. Depending on the timing of your trip, it would be worth asking the II rep when the companion booking certificate expires; mine notes that travel needs to be completed by 7/15/2012.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:23 AM   #11
lweverett
TUG Member

Resorts: Monarch, Harbor Point
I saved about $500.00 with the companion ticket for a trip from Norfolk, VA to Sedona, AZ for this September.
lweverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:13 PM   #12
KarenP

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 27, 05

Resorts: Marriott Grande Vista
Companion Ticket

Can anyone tell me when the blackout dates for Thanksgiving are from Lexington, KY or Cincinnati to Las Vegas? Thanks so much!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:38 PM   #13
pedro47

TUG Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lweverett View Post
I saved about $500.00 with the companion ticket for a trip from Norfolk, VA to Sedona, AZ for this September.
That is an outstanding saving flying out of Norfolk,VA.

What this a Southwest Airline deal ?

I'm asking because Norfolk is the airport we fly out of.
Old May 18, 2011, 05:18 PM   #14
DrBopp
TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 9, 10

Resorts: Wyndham Points Sheraton Broadway Plantation Sea Crest Surf & Racquet Ellington@Wachesaw East Spinnaker@ Waterside
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbrand View Post
Hi Gordon,
There are limitations on this companion airfare: blackout dates, participating cities, etc. From your post, I chose a random date for a San Francisco - Raleigh airfare to put into the site. It returned a price of $630(taxes not incl) for two on June 11-18, 2011. Not sure if that is considered a savings or not over direct bookings.

Currently, the airfare search engine will not go further than early April, 2012. Depending on the timing of your trip, it would be worth asking the II rep when the companion booking certificate expires; mine notes that travel needs to be completed by 7/15/2012.
Thanks for the info. I will be waiting until September before I upgrade, so hopefully that will extend the expiration date. $630 + taxes is not bad at all for coast to coast. I understand that the actual price may vary, but it at least gives me a benchmark for comparision.

Gordon
DrBopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 07:48 PM   #15
dmbrand
TUG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP View Post
Can anyone tell me when the blackout dates for Thanksgiving are from Lexington, KY or Cincinnati to Las Vegas? Thanks so much!
The blackout dates are 11/24-11/29.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:04 AM   #16
lweverett
TUG Member

Resorts: Monarch, Harbor Point
Pedro - I called their phone and the agent searched all available flights and I ended up with an American Airlines flight with very convenient flight times as the cheapest. For some reason the AA flights offered them a $150.00 discount and I paid half of the resulting amount.
lweverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2011, 02:16 PM   #17
pedro47

TUG Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lweverett View Post
Pedro - I called their phone and the agent searched all available flights and I ended up with an American Airlines flight with very convenient flight times as the cheapest. For some reason the AA flights offered them a $150.00 discount and I paid half of the resulting amount.
Thanks for the information.