• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards - 2011 Rollover

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm checking every day to see when the calendar will flip on MR accounts to 2011. Last year it was about the second week of January, wasn't it?

Anyway, we just stayed 5 nights over the weekend - 12/30/10-1/4/11. Yesterday two more 2010 Elite Nights Stayed showed up in my account, presumably 12/30 and 31? So that means when the calendar flips I should see 3 Elite Nights Stayed, right? (Actually I'm glad to see the two nights because I forgot to make sure to charge something to the room which is usually the advice given here on TUG - nice that it worked how it should without that insurance.)

This is probably another of my :doh: stupid MR questions but this shows up in that little grey box on the first page:
Last Recorded Transaction:
12/30/2010 - 01/04/2011
Marriott's SurfWatch
Total Earnings: 500 points

So where did the 500 points come from if nothing was charged to the room?!?!

DebbieF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sue, are you a platinum MR member? I know my husband gets 500 pts. for his stays at the hotels. I am not sure that goes for resorts as well, but maybe.

Debbie

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue, are you a platinum MR member? I know my husband gets 500 pts. for his stays at the hotels. I am not sure that goes for resorts as well, but maybe.

Debbie

Oh, thank you! Yes, we're Plat, and that must be it. I wonder if we got the same 500 during other Plat stays and I just never noticed because there were also charges to the rooms? I try to track the Elite Nights closely but should probably start looking more at Point totals. Like I said, DOH!

You bring up a good question, though, about whether resort stays are supposed to count for this bonus if owners are using Weeks or MR/DC Points. Cash stays of course we'd expect the bonus but this one was on DC Points. Hmmmm.

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
Oh, thank you! Yes, we're Plat, and that must be it. I wonder if we got the same 500 during other Plat stays and I just never noticed because there were also charges to the rooms? I try to track the Elite Nights closely but should probably start looking more at Point totals. Like I said, DOH!

You bring up a good question, though, about whether resort stays are supposed to count for this bonus if owners are using Weeks or MR/DC Points. Cash stays of course we'd expect the bonus but this one was on DC Points. Hmmmm.

It doesn't matter what type of stay it is, if you are platinum your are entitled to the platinum arrival gift or the choice of the platinum point gift. At MVCI they only offer the points.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn't matter what type of stay it is, if you are platinum your are entitled to the platinum arrival gift or the choice of the platinum point gift. At MVCI they only offer the points.

Good to know, thanks. :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have even been given the 500 points a couple times when just being gold.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I forgot to make sure to charge something to the room which is usually the advice given here on TUG

I'll plead ignorance and ask what the significance is of charging something to the room? As a Platinum Premier myself, I am always interested in hearing of ways to maximize benefits I may have been ignorant of.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I forgot to make sure to charge something to the room which is usually the advice given here on TUG

I'll plead ignorance and ask what the significance is of charging something to the room? As a Platinum Premier myself, I am always interested in hearing of ways to maximize benefits I may have been ignorant of.

Tug mantra is that one should make a charge to their room so that the resort has something to report back to Marriott Rewards to grant points for those charges. In doing so, one will also get credited for elite nights for the stay.

I don't think this is overly important. We have had stays without charging anything to the resort and have had the elite nights post. This also seems to be the same experience Sue had. That said, it sure doesn't hurt to charge something to the room to be on the safe side. Even a $1 candy bar in the Marketplace will do.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I had never thought of it that way. Although, come to think of it, we charged our kids activity fees to the room when we went to MGV last year, and did see the elite night credit. I will keep that in mind from now on.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
500 x $0.0125 = $6.25 Not much to get excited about. :ponder:

Brian

We have even been given the 500 points a couple times when just being gold.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Brian

I agree, but if they are giving them away for free, I will take em.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had never thought of it that way. Although, come to think of it, we charged our kids activity fees to the room when we went to MGV last year, and did see the elite night credit. I will keep that in mind from now on.

Yep, me too! We haven't ever had the problems that some have reported on TUG with telephone reps being unwilling to attach MR numbers to pending MVCI reservations or with Elite nights not showing up after resort stays, but reading about it happening to other TUGgers means it could happen anytime. This is the first stay where we didn't charge something to the unit and I didn't think of the TUG mantra until I saw the $0.00 balance on the bill the morning we checked out. "DOH! Hope those elite nights post without a problem ..."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brian

Brian, it must be all those six-zillion-points round-the-world Travel Packages you've used that have made you so jaded. :D I'll take 500 MR Points any old time they want to give them to me!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian, it must be all those six-zillion-points round-the-world Travel Packages you've used that have made you so jaded. :D I'll take 500 MR Points any old time they want to give them to me!

Speaking of around the world travel packages, what does Marriott now require for this perk? Is it 2,000,000 Marriott Reward Points?

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The travel package that I was aware of was put together by a salesperson at one of those owners meetings. I never saw it advertised but that doesn't mean that Marriott didn't tout it. As I recall, it was about 2 million points. The salesperson did it by combining several travel packages. I think the entire trip took over a month.

It was used to get people to ooooh and aaaah over the Reward Points system and make you want to buy another TS. However on a broader scale, I believe some people did do the trip. I wonder if they put it together themselves. I don't recall any official program that was discussed at the meeting.

wof45

TUG Member
Reaction score
i don't remember seeing it with Marriott, but it is pretty common for expats in the middle east to use these once a year.

for instance, there is a round the world ticket with Delta for 180,000 miles coach or 340,000 miles first with no backtracking and six stops max. You could stay at Marriotts as you go.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

I just feel the wine & cheese plate a better value than 500 points gift.

Brian

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just feel the wine & cheese plate a better value than 500 points gift.

Brian

It is, when it is available. However, they don't offer it at the MVCI properties.

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is, when it is available. However, they don't offer it at the MVCI properties.

Why would I expect that at MVCI...they don't even make my bed in the morning or leave me turn town chocolates at night. :)

Brian

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Heads up - check your accounts. Looks like they've changed the calendars and we're in 2011.

BUT I'm not seeing Rollover Nights. Plat status is there, the 3 Nights Stayed (for 1/1-3) are there, the 30 Rollover Nights that I should be seeing are not there. Hmmm. Anybody else?

{edited to add} I should have known, FlyerTalk is right on top of this. Rollover Nights should show up in the next few days.

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rollover now posted - but rollover does not rollover

My rollover nights posted, but the rollover nights from previous year were subtracted, so rollovers are posted but might be fewer than you thought.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My rollover nights posted, but the rollover nights from previous year were subtracted, so rollovers are posted but might be fewer than you thought.

Hmmm. I saved this post from Marriott Concierge at FlyerTalk, it says excess nights should roll multiple years. I don't remember seeing a correction to it since it's been posted but will search around a bit ...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Hmmm. I saved this post from Marriott Concierge at FlyerTalk, it says excess nights should roll multiple years. I don't remember seeing a correction to it since it's been posted but will search around a bit ...

So if someone had 85 nights this year, but 7 were rolled over from 2009, they will start out with 3 rollover nights.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if someone had 85 nights this year, but 7 were rolled over from 2009, they will start out with 3 rollover nights.

I don't know. MC says this, "I had said that extra nights will not roll multiple years, when in fact they will. For example, if you were Platinum and stayed 200 nights in 2009, you have 125 rolled over into 2010. Assuming you don't stay a single night in 2010, you will still begin 2011 with 50 nights that will have rolled over from the excess of that original 200." So he's rolling nights over multiple years, right? Ending 2009 with 200 nights, even without more nights, Plat/125 rolls over to 2010 and then Plat/50 rolls over into 2011.

I left a post on that FT thread ...