Timeshare Users Group Forums
TUG Links external to TUG BBS:    TUG Home| TUG Resort Databases| Marketplace | TUG Help | Advice | Join TUG  

Timeshare Users Group Bulletin Board
Go Back   Timeshare Users Group Forums > Timesharing > Buying, Selling, Renting

Buying, Selling, Renting Discuss all aspects of buying, selling and renting timeshares here. No advertising allowed!

GLOBAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
TUG Turns 21 Years Old! Read More

Free Timeshare Exchanges on TUG! View current exchanges!

Free TUG Newsletter! Sign up today!

TUG Banner Travels the World! Follow the Banner!

Forum Jump

Reply « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old November 17, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Eothaina65

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 17, 10

Resorts: Westgate Miami Beach
Question Warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and I hope I can get some help. I have a Westgate Miami Beach timeshare(TS) that I never used and I am in the pre-foreclosure stage right now. The TS rep. offered me the option of the Warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure(WDLF). She said first they have to run my credit report and the cost is $1000-$2000 for the lawyer processing fees to determine if I am eligible or not for the WDLF.

Is this information true? Why does the TS need my credit report? Why do I have to pay a fee?

If I am denied the WDLF I guess the TS goes into foreclosure. Should I just let the TS foreclose?

Thank you.
Eothaina
Eothaina65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jun 6, 05

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, 7 x Kauai Beach Villas
This sounds like a total scam to me.

Is WESTGATE offering this to you, or another company?

Did you contact them, or did they contact you?

my webpage
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Eothaina65

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 17, 10

Resorts: Westgate Miami Beach
Hi Denise, thanks for responding.
Yes, Westgate is offering this to me. I received a letter from them about the foreclosure and then I called the TS rep. at Westgate about my options. She said if my credit report shows that I can make payments or have paid off other debts then mostly likely I would be denied the WDILF. She also said that the $1000-$2000 fee is for the lawyers because they have to be paid to process the paper work. I think this is if the WDILF goes through.

The other option is to reinstate the monthly mortgage by paying half of the amount of the total deliquent payments for 2010.

Yes, the request for the credit report and fee sounded like a scam to me also.
Eothaina65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 08:36 PM   #4
DeniseM

TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts: Starwood-WKORV, SDO, & SVR, Roark Vacation Club, Kingsbury Crossing, Edinburg Residence, 7 x Kauai Beach Villas
My guess is that if you don't qualify, you lose the fees paid? This is inherently wrong - why would they ever qualify anyone when they've got a money maker like this?

my webpage
DeniseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Talent312

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Jul 4, 07

Resorts: HGVC, Gatlinburg
Wink

What they want to do is brow-beat you into paying them $1000 and then, they'll say,
"Oh, but you can pay what you owe, so no deed ILOF. Now pay us more." Its a rip-off.

Offer them a deed-ILOF... send them one. Just take the deed they gave you and trade
the names of the Grantor+Grantee, or have a lawyer write one (it should cost <$200),
and tell them to "Take it or leave it."

If they proceed with the foreclosure, they'll have to front legal fees, a title search and
filing fees. It'll cost them about a $1000 to file (which hopefully you did not pay).
However, just B4 they get a judgment, you could file Bankruptcy (for less than $1000).
The case will be stayed for about 90 days and any personal liability will be discharged.

I'd point this out in my offer of a deed-ILOF.
― Robin Williams (revising his quote from Dead Poet's Society)

Last edited by Talent312; November 17, 2010 at 09:02 PM.
Talent312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
vacationhopeful

TUG Member

BBS Reg. Date: Sep 11, 07

Resorts: Club Wyndham Plus; Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort; RCI Points; Shell Vacation Club
Slick! Get you to pay the deposit for the lawyers to foreclose on yourself. HA, HA ... why did they think you rode around in a turnip truck? Just by sending them $1,000, they have proof (and your bank account number) that you have money. Remember, to them any money you have is and should be their money - shelter, food, medicine, transportation to work, is NOT their problem. You OWE them! And they will be happy to scream that to you at the top of their lungs (plus they get paid a percentage of any $$$ they collect).

STOP TALKING TO THEM. And if they are calling you at work, tell them to STOP harressing you at work.

Do you owe a balance on the original loan to buy this TS or just MFs? If there is a balance, spend the money either to get the loan caught up to date or to consult your own LAWYER.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:12 AM   #7
FrugalFrank

BBS Reg. Date: Nov 16, 10

Resorts: Marriott Grande Ocean, HHI, SC; Vacation Villas @ FantasyWorld II, Kissimmee FL
Cart Before The Horse

Doesn't make sense to retain the lawyers for processing the paperwork before WG determines your ability to pay or not pay.

If you chose to not take pursue Talent312's worthy advice then perhaps you might like to run your own credit report for free, and send them a copy without any accompanying funds. In NJ you're entitled to one free annual report from each of the (3) major credit reporting agency.

Last edited by FrugalFrank; November 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
FrugalFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Conan
TUG Member

Resorts: Too many!
Just a side-note - - the "warranty" that goes with a warranty deed in lieu merely means you're telling them you have the legal title you say you have, for example there's no other mortgage against the deed that you haven't told them about.

So don't be concerned about that. But given Westgate's particularly poor reputation for ethics, do listen to what TUG is telling you about the money issue.

Auden
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote