• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you do if you had only one day in paradise?

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are embarking on our long awaited cruise. We'll have one day in each of the following ports. What should we not miss while there????

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • St. Lucia
  • Antigua

Charles

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never been to any of those places, but when we cruise to unfamiliar ports, we either sign on to the 'half day sightseeing' bus ride that will be offered, or if it's fairly close, take a taxi from the port to the 'old town' area and walk the historical area and have a meal at a scenic sidewalk or beachfront restaurant.

The night before each port, there will be a 'port talk' on board the ship of what activities are there, and usually a cruise line 'approved shop' flyer stuck under your cabin door. Feel free to ignore it. Generally overpriced tourist tchotchkes you won't want anyway.

Jim Ricks

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a beach and nature person.

So, on our St. Thomas stop, we took the ferry to St. John and wanted to go snorkling at the National Park beach. But the current was bad, and the water was a little cloudy so the beach was closed for snorkling. We took and island tour instead. Maybe one day we'll get back for a few days.

At our Antigua stop, well, we weren't impressed with Antigua. The beaches near the cruise ship were just ok. We took a snorkle-sail trip around the island, stopping at a beach for barbeque and snorkling. It was just ok.

Barbados, we were there for a week on a timeshare exchange. We liked the beaches, and took and island tour that we liked. For a day, I'd recommend an island tour.

Haven't been to your other stops. Go on cruisecritic.com and read the forum boards for the ports your ship will stop at, for detailed info of what others have done.

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
St. Thomas - Megan's Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful in the world, maybe a little shopping in town ( not at the dock) and a ride up the tram to Paradise Point for a drink to watch the sun set if you can stay that late

Barbados - Lot of nice historical places on island, so maybe a tour. A stop by Crane Beach

St. Lucia - Tour to the Pitons

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
St. Thomas - Megan's Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful in the world, maybe a little shopping in town ( not at the dock) and a ride up the tram to Paradise Point for a drink to watch the sun set if you can stay that late

Barbados - Lot of nice historical places on island, so maybe a tour. A stop by Crane Beach

St. Lucia - Tour to the Pitons

Sounds good!

Charles

stevedmatt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Paradise Point's bar/restaurant had a major fire recently. I could be mistaken.

As for St. Lucia, I would recommend "Simon Says" tours. We met Simon 6 years ago on our honeymoon. He took us on a tour of the Island, focusing on what we wanted to see them most...waterfalls. I'm not sure if Simon still does the tours himself.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I only had One Day in Paradise....

...I'd be at Hapuna or Mauna Kea Beaches on the Big Island of Hawaii! :D ;)

Sorry...I can't help myself sometimes... :)

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Paradise Point's bar/restaurant had a major fire recently. I could be mistaken.

No fire at Paradise Point. Mountain Top burned down last year , but they're rebuilding. http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid210700.aspx

Also, if there's more than three ships in port I wouldn't head to Magens bay,It'll be super crowded(if you don't mind crowds go, it's one of the most beautiful beaches in the world). If you're looking for a beautiful less crowded beach I'd go to Sapphire Beach. Chair rentals, amenities and great snorkeling.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We did this same cruise last year.
We alternated types of activities, kind'a in this order: snorkel, beach, land, snorkel, beach.
In Barbados, the weather was bad enuff that our reserved-tour cancelled, so we took a taxi downtown.
After shopping, we returned and in checking with the port's tour desk, found a land-tour still going.

Last edited:

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Nope- Paradise Point is OK. Mountain Top over looking Megans burned to the ground last May, just 2 days after we were up there. I understand they are re-building, but don't know when it will re-open.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
In St. Thomas I'd definitely do a day sail over the St. John or any of the BVI for snorkel and lunch - nothing beats a day on the water in that part of the world

In St. Lucia I'd NOT tour with Cosol Tours - go to Pigeon Island for a relaxing swim, sit on the beach and a little trek up to the fort. Alternatively, a trip by water to see the Pitons

Antigua - we did a tour last month with Lawrence of Antigua and had a good day touring the island finished with a stop at the beach for a couple of hours.

Haven't been to the other 2 (YET).

We are embarking on our long awaited cruise. We'll have one day in each of the following ports. What should we not miss while there????

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • St. Lucia
  • Antigua
Charles

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
St. Lucia:
We took a day tour when we were at Windjammer Landing (it's near Castries)- - it included a boat ride to Soufriere for a view of the Pitons (Soufriere town is not a pretty place), then a ride in a van to the waterfall (which didn't do much for me, maybe because it was raining when we got there) and a visit to a cocoa plantation that was interesting and scenic (it's where much of our chocolate comes from) and also gave us a chance to chat with the local person there - - St. Lucians (?) we met are warm and self-confident people.
lccolor.gif

Antigua:
Has several gorgeous beaches--the nearest to the cruise ship port in St. Johns (the capital city) would be Dickinson Bay where the Sandals Resort is. For historical interest there's Nelson's Dockyard, about an hour drive away.
AntiguaMap.jpg

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... If you're looking for a beautiful less crowded beach I'd go to Sapphire Beach. Chair rentals, amenities and great snorkeling.

It's a beatiful beach but the amenities were boarded up last winter, no restaraunt/bar. There was a lady with a portable cart selling limited drinks. Not sure what the story was.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a beatiful beach but the amenities were boarded up last winter, no restaraunt/bar. There was a lady with a portable cart selling limited drinks. Not sure what the story was.

I'm not sure either. I was there ten days ago(3/18/2010). I rented lounge chairs($7 each) at the dive shop on the beach. Rest rooms were open and a waitress was walking up and down the beach taking orders for food and drinks. I didn't notice a restaurant but a gentleman in front of us walked to the right of us down the beach and came back ten minutes later with four styrofoam trays of food. We brought our own sandwiches and soda/beer.

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of these places are great! Enjoy yourself and the beach!

I hate being on the ship! Everyone goes for the ship, I go for the destinations!
Problem is the ships don't stay very long, therefore, i have almost stopped going on the ships, the last cruise I took canceled two stops!

I was very pissed, I haven't taken another cruise since!

I find a place, go there and enjoy it!

The heck with the ships!