• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Distance from nearest Southwest airport to Asheville

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering going with my DH to the Creative Retirement weekend in Asheville. It is held Memorial Day weekend. We have free trips with Southwest , but I can only take Friday off with my one personal business day. So, what would be the closest airport and how long a drive would it be to get to Asheville. I looked at prices, LAX to Asheville and it was over $800 round trip for the two of us. Is there an airlines that flies directly to Asheville? Maybe it would be worth using American Express Starwood points.
Thanks,
Liz

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dumb question, and I should look it up, but where is Asheville?

Okay, I did look it up. If you're talking about Asheville, NC it doesn't look there is a "close" SW airport. The closest airports, other than their small regional airport are Atlanta (3 hours) or Charlotte (2 hours). SW doesn't fly into either of those cities.

Last edited:

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, that is discouraging. I'll look to see who flies into Charlotte and how many points it would be.
Thanks,
Liz

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nasville, TN would probably be the closest at around 5-6 hours for Southwest. Just checked mapquest, 5 hrs. 13 min and 300 miles.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ugh, that's too far to want to drive after flying all day. I think we are going to wait until I retire to do the Creative Weekend thing. I can take one personal day off, but that would be Friday and the workshop starts Friday. If I take a non-paid day off and go Thursday, it would be a lot of money and a very rushed trip. If I went until I retire in June of 2011, we could actually see the countryside and visit a part of the country we have never been too.
Liz

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Knoxville isn't much more than an hour normally, but the interstate between the two is closed until at least March. Southwest doesn't fly to Knoxville.

Sheila

SankarDas

Reaction score
Asheville Vacation Rentals

Depending on your vacation goals, you could end up taking any number of paths while you're here. Perhaps you've a taste for the wilderness, in which case you won't miss the magnificent beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains and all the nooks and crannies this gentle range will capture your imagination with.

SankarDas

Reaction score
asheville cabin rentals

The main beauty of choosing these cabins over the hotels is that with the cabins already being near or on the mountains you have such breathtaking views every day.

http://www.ashevillecabins.org/

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
RDU is less than four hours from Asheville.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Southwest flies in to Greenville-Spartansburg (SC). It's about 80 miles to Asheville, NC

andywollen

Reaction score
Northcarolinacottages.com

Asheville has an estimated population of about 75,000. It is Western North Carolina's largest city. In the state, it is the 9th largest city. It also belongs to the 4-country Asheville metro statistical area.

Deb from NC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greenville-Spartanburg (SC) is actually probably closest. Then Charlotte, then Piedmont-Triad (Greensboro, NC-about 2.5 hours)
We're heading to beautiful Asheville for New Year's ..if we can get there through the snow that is! Asheville had 10 inches over Christmas and we had 6 (2 hours drive away!) Unusual for us, but so pretty!
Deb