• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Golfing in Hilton Head

westrougers

TUG Member
Reaction score
On way back to Canada from Florida we have booked a 2BR week at Spinnaker at Waterside in Hilton Head for week of March 15th.

We would like to golf 3 or 4 times. I know there are lots of courses but I know TUGGERS are very knowledgeable ond can suggest the best values and courses close to where we are staying. Also what is price range for a good (not fabulous) course in the area?

ALSO

Are we able to request a unit and if so any suggestions as to best location in complex?

Thanks for help.

Mike

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should contact the resort, as Waterside has a golf coordinator (spingolf@spinnakerresorts.com), who can book the tee times for you. We will be at Waterside the week of March 8th and last week, the resort told me that there is a golf card available for the guests. This card entitles up to 4 people 1 round per day at the Shipyard or Port Royal courses, for the cost of the cart rental - around $40 per person.

Poette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just off the island is Old South, 9 holes only, very cheap and decent for the money. At one time it was 18 holes and supposedly a very good course. You might want to call first, we were there in September.

westrougers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Units in Spinnaker?

Thanks for info on golf in Hilton Head. We will check with resort for tee times.

Just wondering if anyone who has stayed at Spinnaker can recommend best units to request, say with great views. In fact do they allow requests?

Thanks

Mike

wrkirt

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Waterside

I own at Waterside but do not have my maps with me as i am in HIlton Head for the month. There are no great views at Waterside; all buildings have acceptable views; you can probably walk around the complex when you arrive and see if there is a building you like more than others and make the request when you go to check in. I called 2 years ago to make a request and ended up leaving a message; we ended up getting a high floor in the building we requested.
We bought at Waterside due to the golf package; 4 people play for cart fees at Shipyard ( 3 nine hole courses) or Port Royal which has 2 or 3 18 hole courses. I am not sure if the golf package is available to those who trade in or if it is just for the owners ??? It is a nice complex in a nice quiet area and the units are the largest of any we have stayed in; you will have a good time.

Bill in Cambridge Maryland, temporarily in Hilton Head for month of Feb and enjoying each day.

vkhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
The courses off the island are just as nice (and challenging) as the courses on the island and they are much cheaper (for the most part). The Island Packet newspaper often has discount coupons (in the sports section) and some tourist info centers also have coupons.

I like Island West, Crescent Pointe and Egret (something), all in Bluffton.

And... there is always the timeshare promo presentations that give you free golf!!!! (but as you know, don't buy from the developer, but do take their "freebies.").

Enjoy!!!

Joanne

westrougers

TUG Member
Reaction score
What should we expect to pay for golf at decent courses similar to what you mentioned?

Do renters get preferred rates?

Timeshare presentations are last resort but we are "thrifty" so who knows.

Re location, I think we will call ahead and ask for high floor overlooking pool.

Thanks

Mike

vkhome

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have played off island in "off season" for as little as $35/round (that includes cart). The time of day and course vary prices. I refuse to pay big bucks for golf - maybe because my handicap is not so low. Still, shop around.
Definitely check the Island Packet for coupons. Golf island.com has some deals, but I don't find them that great. Renters do not get better rates, unless you are staying at a timeshare that has a gold package.

Jim McLaren

TUG Member
Reaction score

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Arrived at Waterside

I am not sure if the golf package is available to those who trade in or if it is just for the owners ???

We checked-in to Waterside yesterday, having beaten the storm that pummeled the NorthEast, and found that the golf package IS only available to owners :(

But on the upside, DH found a website which offers on-line tee-times, in singles or packages of 2,3,4, or 5 rounds at any of the following: Oyster Reef, Port Royal, Shipyard, or Palmetto Hall. http://res.heritagegolfgroup.com/PUBLIC/?c=2b7a8d121712b81b&id=

For the packages, the rounds come out to about $76 each, including the cart.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Matbec,

If you go to the Walmart that is up toward the north part of Hilton Head there is a booth (it usually staffed most of the day including evenings) near the entrance that offers freebies for doing a timeshare tours including free golf (you pay the cart fee).
Wal-Mart Store #728
25 Pembroke Drive
Hilton Hd Island, SC 29926
(843) 681-3011

Another place where a booth is usually set up that offers freebies for doing a timeshare tour is in the parking lot in front of the Old Oyster Factory. But unlike Walmart, the booth is usually set up only in the evenings after 6pm.
http://www.oldoysterfactory.com/

Richard

matbec

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Richard,

Thanks for the tips. As anxious as he is to get to the courses, DH has already booked his rounds for the rest of the week! :)

matbec

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mike, I just remembered eating at a place called Aunt Chiladas near the spinnaker resort. I don't remember if it was early bird or something else, but in the bar area only they had terrific deals. We had crab legs for a great price.

We also played at shipyard and Port Royal courses and they were nice. We played at the Oyster Reef and played at the afternoon rate. they asked us to wait awhile when we got there, it ended up being an extremely long time. Then they said to start on the back nine. then they came out on the course and told us we could not play the front nine but if we hurried, we could start the back nine again before the scramble tee times came through. So we were rushing and playing in twilight and near dark.
I wrote a real detailed review a few years ago, it got lost in submission, and it was before I learned how to cut and paste and all the other things that savey computer people know . I really regret it, because we did some great sightseeing too and all is lost with my feeble memory.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Rapmarks,

We went to Aunt Chiladadas when we were on Hilton Head Island in December and they had discontinued that early bird Crab Leg Special. My wife was very disappointed.

Richard

westrougers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Matbec, Rapmarks, etc, we arrived here yesterday and resort looks good. Re golf, just checked http://res.heritagegolfgroup.com/PUB...121712b81b&id= and for golf on Tuesday and Thursday, cost for least expensive course was $125 per person. Did however try another place for tee times and they said they can get us on for a lot less. We will try this and get back to all if it is worth it.

Mike

jwq387

TUG Member
Reaction score
golf in hilton head

Just off the island is Old South, 9 holes only, very cheap and decent for the money. At one time it was 18 holes and supposedly a very good course. You might want to call first, we were there in September.

You have Old South confused with Old Carolina, which is 9 holes. Old South, at least according to its website, is 18 holes.

If you purchase a ClubKey, you can play several excellent Hilton Head area golf courses at about 30-40% of what you would normally play. ClubKey pays for itself if you play 2 rounds. There are some restrictions, but I use it quite often to get great golf deals in HIlton Head and Myrtle Beach.

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Less expensive courses are in Bluffton: Hilton Head National 27 holes, Eagle's Point,Crescent ,Old Carolina. Rose Hill is not open. He liked HH National and you can play less than 27 holes.

Last Minute Tee times phone is 843.689.2262

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/city.asp?dest=Bluffton+sc

On HHI, DH has paid $65-$80 to golf the Barony,Robbers Row courses in the afternoon.