• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Going to Cabo - Rental Car

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just booked a trip to Cabo this is my first international travel as I just recently got my passport.

I was looking up rental cars and was wondering why the heck these rental cars were so cheap??

I saw the sticky thread about how the laws and what not were very different driving there on lights and what not thank goodness for that thread flashing yellows are different etc. Very good to know

I would like to have the luxury of a rental car rather than waiting on a shuttle from my resort to go into town to see the city I think this would be nice.

saabman

Reaction score
Visit the Cabo trip advisor forum for threads from people who have been scammed by car rental agencies there. The known names car hires have NO connection to the U.S. so no recourse if you have issues. The ones most recommended are Cactus, Dominic, BBB. Here's link to one:
http://www.cabosuvrentals.com

Know what's required in Mexico for insurance, and you want all you can get, but don't get fooled by the $80 per week car rental. It ain't true.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For a first international trip, I would STRONGLY discourage renting a car. You don't post which resort you are going to, but in the Cabo area, there is a well developed bus and taxi system. They are cheap, and it isn't like 'waiting around for a shuttle'.

The traffic in Mexico can be chaotic, and the 'rules of the road' are treated as 'suggestions'. The law is not on the side of the Gringo in his rental car. If there is an accident, you WILL be taken to jail (Mexican jails are not pleasant) and the details sorted out. The foreigner (you) is considered guilty until proven innocent.

You will most likely want to enjoy some of the excellent margaritas, and in Mexico, there is ZERO tolerance for consuming alcohol and driving.

You MUST buy 3rd party Mexican insurance to cover yourself in Mexico. NO U.S. insurance is valid there. It is expensive.

In short. DON'T RENT In MEXICO. At least not the first time, or for seeing the sights around Cabo. Perhaps at some point in your trip, there will be a place at some distance you and your group will want to see as a day trip. Rent a car at the resort for the day and make a day of it, but not for the duration of your stay.

Jim

BTW, I've been going to Mexico regularly for 30 years or more, and public transport works fine for me.

saabman

Reaction score
You MUST buy 3rd party Mexican insurance to cover yourself in Mexico. It is expensive.

Driving around Cabo and the greater area is no big deal. Expensive? At one of the reputable agencies, as mentioned above, expect to pay at $350 for the week, all insurance included.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Driving in Cabo is very easy. The frontage roads were removed on the main road in Cabo and left turns are now easy , many of the speed bumps were replaced and marked so that they are visible and the car will not bottom out when you drive over them, the area south of Cabo close to the marina is now mostly one way streets and there is decent markings and signage in most of this area.

The area west of the marina is fairly well marked but still has many two way roads that are a bit small.

The area north of Cabo is where Costco is. There is a frontage road off of the highway that must be used to get to Costco. It is very easy, just follow the cars and the sign.

Cabo is easy regarding driving. I still use American Express and often times Avis because Avis has a compact mini van I like.

All of the rental car companies must provide third party insurance for the car to be legal. Some charge this back to the customer and other do not. When you book with Avis, Budget or Hurtz , the minimum third party insurance is included in the rate. Alamo makes you purchase this. When you reserve a car you will see the terms and conditions which often states that if you decline the liability insurance they will place a $2500 hold on your card which is no big deal and very standard.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have traveled to Mexico many times. Primarily Cabo but also Cancun. We always rent a car. We have gotten them as cheap as $7 per day - manual transmission, no radio, and no AC. Hesitation kills in Mexico. You have to have a heavy throttle foot, heavy fast brake foot, and eyes in the back of your head. It is a blast. Most rental companies will try and sell you special insurance. You are actually just reimbursing the rental company for insurance they are required to have under Mexican Law. It can be more than the weekly rental fee. Some companies will not rent to you if you do not buy the insurance - though that is illegal. I always rent from Hertz. I set it up online in the USA. Hertz will offer you the insurance and when you say no they simply proceed with the rental. They will pick you up at the Airport and take you to the Hertz Facility. Make sure you do a detailed inspection.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Saabman gave you good advice regarding rental companies to use. We always rent a car in Cabo and find it very easy to get around. If you are staying in the corridor, it will really make life simpler unless you are planning to stay and eat only at your resort. There are places (Playa Chileno, Playa Santa Maria, San Jose del Cabo to name a few) to visit in the area that are much more convenient of you have a car.
One of the big advantages of renting thru the above agencies is that you do not have to listen to them try to get you to do timeshare tours to save $$ off your rental price.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been very satisfied with Alamo. Check their prices on Alamo Mexico.
I believe the 3rd party liability insurance is $15/day. However, they do give the timeshare spiel. "Just say No, No, No!"

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have been very satisfied with Alamo. Check their prices on Alamo Mexico.
I believe the 3rd party liability insurance is $15/day. However, they do give the timeshare spiel. "Just say No, No, No!"

I joined Alamo's insider a long time ago. When you reserve with an Alamo insider account you get the extra driver free. My next reservation is in Cancun and coming up soon.

saabman

Reaction score
Take photos of any damage on the car before you drive away.

Not a bad idea but make sure you have date and time stamp with photos. The car agencies that will cheat you, if they can, will probably dispute even that hard evidence with "you just took the picture now and changed back the date and time".

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not a bad idea but make sure you have date and time stamp with photos. The car agencies that will cheat you, if they can, will probably dispute even that hard evidence with "you just took the picture now and changed back the date and time".

Yup ! I take pictures and a video of all cars we rent. Last year in PV the car had a bent wheel that wasn't noticeable that Hertz was going to charge us for until I showed them the picture of this as existing. I even point the camera under the car for a few pictures and video. I do this with all rental cars.

Bill

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
cabs

Also just curious if I take a cab for myself and my significant other and our baby does the baby have to have a car seat in Mexico and do the cabs have them installed?

My baby is 2

Also will the cabs charge us for all three to ride??

rpennisi

Reaction score
Cabs take up to 4 passengers for the same price. Cabs won't have car seats. You can get car seats with some vans that will pick you up at the airport. The price is higher with vans that have a car seat, but it is available.