• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice about resale purchase of Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach

bettygrace

TUG Member
Reaction score
A relative is considering a resale purchase of a presidential, bi-annual unit at this resort. Personally, we do many exchanges each year (10 or more) using II and RCI using WorldMark and another Oregon Coast weeks resort, but have never visited Mexico, and have read on TUG of some rather frightening reports against owning there. The buyer has asked us for advise. Would some of you great Tug people help us help them?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Mexico TS purchase

A relative is considering a resale purchase of a presidential, bi-annual unit at this resort. Personally, we do many exchanges each year (10 or more) using II and RCI using WorldMark and another Oregon Coast weeks resort, but have never visited Mexico, and have read on TUG of some rather frightening reports against owning there. The buyer has asked us for advise. Would some of you great Tug people help us help them?

Do they also live in Oregon ?
How much to purchase ?
How much to transfer contract ?
Do important benefits transfer to new owner ?

What is frightening about owning in Mexico ?

I am sure an owner of PB SB will help with details on the resort itself and management of it .

If they want to go to sunshine in Jan/Feb and are west coast based, owning in Mexico may make sense .
since Alaska Airlines makes it easier than going to Florida .
However most Mexican TS are float week /RTU based- so you want to make sure the purchase has a good booking window that transfers to a new owner.

The rest of the year TS exchanging/renting to get to Mexico - may make more sense ,since there is good availability on RCI etc in the other 10 months ( excluding Easter/Holy Week and Christmas/ New Years .)

Last edited:

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been going to Sunset beach for years. Lovely place and if you buy one on the resale market I think it is well worth it. I like to go in February and November which is considered "high" season. If you buy it right it pays for itself in just 2 or 3 years.

buceo

Reaction score
I am going to assume that they have to the resort and want to be owners there, then great for them, I think they will love it. If not, I would suggest to rent a week and stay there first. Unfortunately there are people here that want others to be afraid of going to MX, agendas abound. What I often read here, that MX timeshares are worthless, you can rent for less than the MF, it is dangerous etc is simply false information about our resorts that we go every winter in Cancun and Playa del Carmen. We have not been to Cabo, but have read great things about it and we should get there in 2017. If I have my PB's correct, Karen the moderator owns there. Hope she can help.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
The Pueblo Bonito properties are very nice. I believe they have exchange rules that apply when trading within the PB group - I've not paid much attention as I don't own with them.

I *do* own three weeks in Mexico and will speak to that. Two weeks are rtu in Mazatlan, one is a week in Puerto Vallarta that's perpetual. There is nothing 'frightening' about any aspect of my weeks or the cities. My weeks may not hold a lot of trading power, but I didn't buy them to trade - and I'm sure I *could* trade into many other locations if I wanted to.

As to being able to rent for less than the maintenance fees ... yes, sometimes you can find last minute deals that beat the maintenance fees, but the last minute air fares usually eat that away. I don't travel last minute often anyway, so those bargain rates aren't applicable to me.

I would advise your friends to buy if:
  1. The selling price and maintenance fees are reasonable for them, making sure to factor airfare in as well.
  2. They enjoy PBSB.
  3. They like Cabo.
  4. They don't intend on trading somewhere like Hawaii.
  5. The RTU period is not too far away, so they're not locked into going there (or trading to another PB) forever if they don't like it.

** just as a little edit, I have heard a few rumblings on the Trip Advisor Mazatlan forum that the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay floating week owners occasionally have trouble booking the weeks that they want because PBEB has rented the units out. Don't know if it's so, but it could be a consideration if they aren't thinking of buying a fixed week/unit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have owned St Sunset Beach for about 8 years. Have never had a problem renting a week if you do it far in advance. The property is beautiful and we love it there.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If I have my PB's correct, Karen the moderator owns there. Hope she can help.
Yes, that's correct. We have owned at the Pueblo Bonito Rose since 1998 and we have stayed at the PB Sunset Beach several times.

I think it's a great ownership for people on the West Coast as it is easy to get to and the flights aren't long. Alaska Airlines has been flying to Cabo for many years and now Southwest goes there, too.

Lots of good advice has been given in this thread. I think if the OP's relative has never been to Cabo or any of the Pueblo Bonitos it would be good to rent there first to see if they like it. The Presidential units at Sunset Beach are huge and beautiful. Plus, now they have an internal exchange system in place where the owners at Sunset Beach can exchange into any of the other PB's with no exchange fee. (Unfortunately the owners at the Rose and Blanco don't have the ability to exchange to Sunset Beach but they can exchange to any of the others.)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I have heard a few rumblings on the Trip Advisor Mazatlan forum that the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay floating week owners occasionally have trouble booking the weeks that they want because PBEB has rented the units out. Don't know if it's so, but it could be a consideration if they aren't thinking of buying a fixed week/unit.
I have heard the same thing about the other PB's, but have also heard that if you make your reservations a year in advance you can usually get what you want. We own a fixed unit, fixed week so we haven't had a problem.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
PBEB

Now that we do not go to Mazatlan as often I tend to use PBEB for exchanges. Last week I called in to make a reservation for Thanksgiving week at PBEB and was told that my Red Week does not include that week! We have been there or reserved a week to deposit several times for Thanksgiving week and we had no problems whatsoever until they have the new number to call to make reservations! I was somewhat ticked because Thanksgiving week is a good week to exchange and I wanted to deposit my week with SFX this year as we have other plans for Thanksgiving.