• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

cabo huricane resort damage report? [merged]

jefrazier

Reaction score
Nope, you're not the only one thinking that. I just believe people have a hard time facing that their vacation plans have gone kaput, and/or grasping how BIG a disaster this is. Cabo hasn't had a storm like this in 60 years (when it was just a little fishing village). ALL the area infrastructure has taken a wallop. I'll be going back, but not for a few months.

It's just a tad complicated. There is no guarantee that the airline will refund tickets or that we can file a claim on a cancellation IF Hacienda and the airport are functioning by mid October. I'm not holding out hope but I suspect there will be a fight with the airline. Already hearing some stories regarding airlines charging change fees even with this disaster.

On another note when one's timeshare is out of commission, albeit temporarily, due to a natural disaster, can you still trade or rebank? Interval is who we deal with. First time dealing with this scenario.

Last edited:

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
We have two weeks planned at a timeshare in Cabo starting on Oct. 11th. The resort is saying (through a phone call to us and Facebook posts) that there were no major damage and that current guests are actually helping with the cleanup. Power is by generator though, since the electricity is out for the whole area. They are able to have one of the restaurants open.

We are truly ambivalent about whether to go or cancel, even if the airport is open by then. The humanitarian side of me says we could go and help, but the 'selfish' side says we are retired and this was to be a nice vacation for us.

We have an Annual Timeshare Owner Protection Plan with VacationGuard, but this is the verbiage on the policy regarding when you can cancel relative to a natural disaster;

"Your and/or Your Traveling Companion’s principal place of residence is made
uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster.

The Timeshare unit remains uninhabitable within 14 days immediately prior to and including Your scheduled arrival date or becomes uninhabitable while You are on Your scheduled Timeshare Trip due to a documented fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster."

Since our timeshare resort is currently open for guests (although perhaps sub-optimal), it sounds as if the policy would not be useful for us even if we did decide to cancel this trip and re-schedule it.

Ironically we did a trade via Interval into Cancun during the middle of the Swine Flu scare a few years ago. Occupancy at the resorts was about 50%, and we were treated like royalty wherever we went since all the establishments were hurting for customers. This time I would expect it to be even worse...but a LOT of restaurants/bars will probably not be repaired/open by the time we are due to arrive ;-(

Dilemma....

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have two weeks planned at a timeshare in Cabo starting on Oct. 11th. The resort is saying (through a phone call to us and Facebook posts) that there were no major damage and that current guests are actually helping with the cleanup. Power is by generator though, since the electricity is out for the whole area. They are able to have one of the restaurants open.

We are truly ambivalent about whether to go or cancel, even if the airport is open by then. The humanitarian side of me says we could go and help, but the 'selfish' side says we are retired and this was to be a nice vacation for us.

We have an Annual Timeshare Owner Protection Plan with VacationGuard, but this is the verbiage on the policy regarding when you can cancel relative to a natural disaster;

"Your and/or Your Traveling Companion’s principal place of residence is made
uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster.

The Timeshare unit remains uninhabitable within 14 days immediately prior to and including Your scheduled arrival date or becomes uninhabitable while You are on Your scheduled Timeshare Trip due to a documented fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster."

Since our timeshare resort is currently open for guests (although perhaps sub-optimal), it sounds as if the policy would not be useful for us even if we did decide to cancel this trip and re-schedule it.

Ironically we did a trade via Interval into Cancun during the middle of the Swine Flu scare a few years ago. Occupancy at the resorts was about 50%, and we were treated like royalty wherever we went since all the establishments were hurting for customers. This time I would expect it to be even worse...but a LOT of restaurants/bars will probably not be repaired/open by the time we are due to arrive ;-(

Dilemma....

Hi Berry, this is truly a dilemma.
I would call the insurance company to see what's their take on this. I would think that if the airport is not open, it's not reasonable to expect you still making the trip even if the resort is open.
On a separate note, you may also want to contact your airline and your exchange company (assume these are exchange weeks) to see if they can help you find a different location without additional charges...

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Berry, this is truly a dilemma.
I would call the insurance company to see what's their take on this. I would think that if the airport is not open, it's not reasonable to expect you still making the trip even if the resort is open.
On a separate note, you may also want to contact your airline and your exchange company (assume these are exchange weeks) to see if they can help you find a different location without additional charges...

Thanks.

I did call the insurance company and explained it almost exactly the same way you did and they said to refer to verbiage in the contract. Ugh.

I'm going to wait a few days until we see what is going on with the airport before I call the the timeshare company or United. Our first week is our owner's week and the 2nd was a trade through Interval.

Steve

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
....On another note when one's timeshare is out of commission, albeit temporarily, due to a natural disaster, can you still trade or rebank? Interval is who we deal with.first time dealing with this scenario.

Years ago, a hurricane took OUT the Wyndham Santa Barbara resort -- it was closed with 6' chain link fencing for YEARS. The fixed week owners were totally SOL. No exchange depositing - BIG HUGH SPECIAL ASSESSMENT - no Wyndham "we are here" but "we will convert your fixed week to points for $$$$$" ... I know, as I walked around the chain link fencing, saw the 2 motels next door empty and eventually torn down along with the large (and nicer) Oceanfront motel/resort across the street from those next door motels.

So, no trading as you have NOTHING TO deposit; bet re-bank is the same as you have nothing to rebank.... unless you had insurance on your vacation.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I heard on news, maybe weather channel, that the airport will be closed til Oct 10. That's a long time...is this possibly true? :confused:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Depends on your resort whether or not you may still have weeks to deposit. Resorts that have multiple locations, e.g. Mayan, Westin/Starwood, Hilton, etc. have been known to deposit substitute weeks so members can still exchange. Had that happen to me when the Mayan Palace PV had a fire due to an earthquake. It was out of commission for over 2 yrs. Mayan deposited other weeks with RCI so we could get an exchange. Of course, we still had to pay the yearly m/f.

jefrazier

Reaction score
Years ago, a hurricane took OUT the Wyndham Santa Barbara resort -- it was closed with 6' chain link fencing for YEARS. The fixed week owners were totally SOL. No exchange depositing - BIG HUGH SPECIAL ASSESSMENT - no Wyndham "we are here" but "we will convert your fixed week to points for $$$$$" ... I know, as I walked around the chain link fencing, saw the 2 motels next door empty and eventually torn down along with the large (and nicer) Oceanfront motel/resort across the street from those next door motels.

So, no trading as you have NOTHING TO deposit; bet re-bank is the same as you have nothing to rebank.... unless you had insurance on your vacation.

That's a downer....but kinda of suspected that was the case. :ponder:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
jefrazier, if you look at the link Ada903 posted (www.cabovillas.com/blog/?p=2547), you'll see that Hacienda del Mar does not expect to be fully operational through October 31. I think Starwood would refund your money, or at least give you a voucher for a future stay. Airline customer service is horrible these days, so not sure how they'll handle it? I hope it works out for you.

I think EVERYTHING is up in the air right now, as people are trying to recover from the direct hit and assess the damage from Odile.

Added: Part of MF's go towards insurance, so hopefully that will cover any damage, and you'll avoid a special assessment. I know some resorts DO give replacement weeks after a disaster, so hope for the best, and don't assume the worst.

Last edited:

jefrazier

Reaction score
jefrazier, if you look at the link Ada903 posted (www.cabovillas.com/blog/?p=2547), you'll see that Hacienda del Mar does not expect to be fully operational through October 31. I think Starwood would refund your money, or at least give you a voucher for a future stay. Airline customer service is horrible these days, so not sure how they'll handle it? I hope it works out for you.

I think EVERYTHING is up in the air right now, as people are trying to recover from the direct hit and assess the damage from Odile.

Added: Part of MF's go towards insurance, so hopefully that will cover any damage, and you'll avoid a special assessment. I know some resorts DO give replacement weeks after a disaster, so hope for the best, and don't assume the worst.

PamMo- We have a timeshare at Hacienda Encantada...not Hacienda del Mar. We still have time...so we'll call and see what the situation is once things have settled down a bit. We might be able to go to a sister resort. On the airline side...just called and we are basically SOL (US Airways). $200 per person fee if we change our tickets. Ugh:annoyed:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I heard on news, maybe weather channel, that the airport will be closed til Oct 10. That's a long time...is this possibly true? :confused:

If you follow through Ada903's link (above) and find the information from Pueblo Bonito Resorts, you will find this information about the airports:

"Regarding the airports, a definite date has not been announced for the Cabo International airport (SJD) to reopen, but current advice from airlines indicate that it may reopen around September 22nd for arrivals. Local news is reporting that, according to the Secretary of Tourism, the airport’s two terminals were damaged but the airport is operable. The smaller Cabo San Lucas airport (CSL or MMSL) is not operable and is reported to be closed until October 10th. - See more at: http://www.cabovillas.com/blog/?p=2547#sthash.1faA4bJC.dpuf"

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
My friends and I were due to leave for Cabo Villas this coming Saturday. Obviously, the trip is cancelled. United waived cancellation fees and gave us credits to be used up until April 2015. It's heartbreaking to look at pictures of the devastation. At this point we are not sure what the resort will do in terms of re-booking another week. Would love to get any info on damage sustained at Cabo Villas.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
PamMo- We have a timeshare at Hacienda Encantada...not Hacienda del Mar. We still have time...so we'll call and see what the situation is once things have settled down a bit. We might be able to go to a sister resort. On the airline side...just called and we are basically SOL (US Airways). $200 per person fee if we change our tickets. Ugh:annoyed:

USAir has a travel advisory for Cabo listed on their sight. If it comes down to your dates and you are unable to go to the resort call them and deal with customer relations. They waive the fees for a variety of reasons.

Running Man

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any info PB Sunset Beach

Hello Everyone

Does anyone have any info on PB Sunset Beach?

We will be going there in December.

Cheers

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
IMO, Nobody OWNS anything in Mexico, other than the right to use some time there. It will be interesting to see how this devastation effects the resorts, their employees, and the maintenance fees. Not to mention if the REAL resort owners try to hold up timeshart RTU owners for special assessments to address repairs.

Jim

Jim - We are "owners" of RTU weeks at Buganvilias and "Mayan World". Both of these had significant hurricane damage since we have been "owners" and neither charged a special assessment for their repairs.

The Buganvilias was totally closed for 18 months because the water damaged the HVAC in the basement of the buildings. They did not charge MF while they were closed, and if you did want to pay MF so that you could deposit your week, they deposited a week for when they would be open again.

Mayan Palace Mayan Riviera took a direct hit with Wilma in late October 2005 and we actually went 3-1/2 weeks following it as planned for a large family vacation. We learned so much about Grupo Mayan and their employees while we were there. The employees were so gracious and helpful, but were glad we were there so they still had jobs. Everyone, including clerical staff had helped scoop sand out of the pool. Grupo gave most of the food that was in the refrigerators and freezers to their employees, plus some water damaged furniture. The employees were so grateful to the management for helping them however they could as many had lost everything. The management rotated the employees around so that everyone got a chance to work directly with guest (therefore receive tips) during the clean-up time.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
State Dept info from the Tripadvisor Update thread

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html See post #74

74. Re: Hurricane Odile - Updates Only
Sep 17, 2014, 8:57 AM
You are receiving this email in reply to the email you sent to the OdileEmergencyUSC@state.gov<mailto:OdileEmergencyUSC@state.gov> email address. We are very concerned for the welfare of U.S. citizens in the affected areas and are dedicated to providing information to help them make educated decisions about their safety and travel to, from, and around the affected area.

The Mexican government has begun military evacuation flights from San Jose de los Cabos International Airport, Los Cabos Airport, and La Paz Airport. U.S. citizen travelers and residents should assess the safest route to the nearest airport and move there expeditiously during daylight hours. For additional information on these evacuation flights, please contact local authorities. Flights are arriving in both Tijuana and Mazatlan. U.S. government personnel are at both of these airports providing assistance to U.S. citizens.

You can alert us to U.S. citizens affected by the storm, including yourself, by visiting https://tfa.state.gov/ccd, selecting “2014 Hurricane Odile,” and providing as much information as possible. You can also contact us at 1-888-407-4747 (From the United States and Canada), +1-202-501-4444 (From all other countries).

We are closely monitoring Hurricane Odile and its effects on Mexico. Though Baja California is a popular destination for U.S. tourists, the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana has received no reports of U.S. citizens injured or killed .

We can confirm that, because of damage the storm caused, the airport in Los Cabos is temporarily closed to commercial flights. Commercial flights will be available once the airport reopens. If you have flight tickets, you should confirm your flight status with your airline before departing for the airport.

Please see the Emergency Message on the homepage of the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana (http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/service.html) for links to various websites that provide further information about the progress of the storm, as well as contact information for the Consulate and the U.S. Department of State.

The safety and security of U.S. citizens overseas is a top priority of the Department of State. We encourage U.S. citizens traveling and residing abroad to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.travel.state.gov<http://www.travel.state.gov>, and to read the Country Specific Information also found on the site.

If you are concerned about the well-being of a U.S. citizen in the affected area, we encourage you to continue your efforts to contact your loved one(s) directly by telephone, text, or social media to confirm his/her welfare and whereabouts.

BarryD

Reaction score
Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos

We are due to arrive there on Nov 3 for a week but not sure if we should cancel or not as well as airline. Called RCI and they said, it shouldn't be a problem by then but who REALLY knows. Sent an email to the resort but no reply as of yet. May try to call direct the first part of week.

Any more info out there??

THANKS

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am also curious as to the status of The Office and Tobasco's. It is one thing to have the resort up and running (albeit on a generator), but another to have our favorite restaurants closed.

Steve

BarryD

Reaction score
have our favorite restaurants closed.

I hear you! We also have our favorite places to eat and the hotel/resort may be up and running by then but wonder about other places of business.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My friends are trapped in Cabo. I have a thread going on in Flyertalk about my 75+ year old friends who are experiencing terrible hardships since the hurricane hit.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
My friends are trapped in Cabo. I have a thread going on in Flyertalk about my 75+ year old friends who are experiencing terrible hardships since the hurricane hit.

I agree with you that those who went down are stupid. I'd ask, what were they thinking? but it obvious they weren't.

Air lifts bringing in food and water to try to help people survive they they go down voluntarily.

Anyhow I wish you and your stranded friends luck. It wasn't all that long ago that when people went on vaca they were not in constant touch with those back home and the human race has survived.