• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Highlands (Carmel)

hcarman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure many of us purchased retail, but typically not after they learn about the resale market. It is quite peculiar, though if someone has money falling out of their pockets, well then I can comprehend that.

I agree - just saying people have different reasons for the things they do. And, I think the purpose of this site is to educate and discuss time shares - not to make a judgement on why someone does something a certain way. The comment just came across as being a bit critical of their personal decision. Maybe if it was phrased more tactfully like "you do realize you can still buy resale at Highlands for close to 50%:.............."

I only decided to comment on the post because their comment was embedded in a really good narrative about Hyatt Carmel - in fact, I believe they were answering some questions I had about the rooms, as well as some questions other folks had. It wasn't part of a discussion on resale vs. retail....

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

We buy our timeshares retail! Nobody commented on this statement? Like saying "I always insist on paying the sticker price for a car"

The resale price for Hyatt weeks (excluding some ski weeks) is at least 50% off the developer retail price. Why would anyone want to pay $25,000 for a week that sells frequently for $10,000. And, why would you ever admit this sin (by TUG standards) in public?

Not sure where you were headed with your thoughts as they aren't relative to the OP, but the post reminds me of an old saying. "Never hit a man when he's down - kick em, its easier."

Not trying to turn this thread into a purchase discussion, however to add an additional thought to hcarman's as to why some buy retail - due to HRC's guaranteed week/guaranteed unit for HRPP reservations, an individual may be inclined to purchase retail to guarantee a specific week of the year for an annual event or the specific location or view of a unit.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Thanks for high jacking the thread. Ha ha

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another Hyatt Highlands question

Hello all,

I have another Hyatt Highlands question.

Stimulous for question: We just returned from Hyatt Pinon Pointe. When we were there we enjoyed their owner's wine and cheese social. But we missed out on an owner's breakfast. The first even was poorly communicated and the second one was so poorly communicated that we missed out.

I'm wondering if the Highlands has some similar owner events (i.e., socials or breakfasts) and if so, what day of the week or time are they typically offered. I want to make sure that we keep our calendar open and don't miss out.

Thanks in advance to those who may be able to help. :hi:

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have another Hyatt Highlands question.

Stimulous for question: We just returned from Hyatt Pinon Pointe. When we were there we enjoyed their owner's wine and cheese social. But we missed out on an owner's breakfast. The first even was poorly communicated and the second one was so poorly communicated that we missed out.

I'm wondering if the Highlands has some similar owner events (i.e., socials or breakfasts) and if so, what day of the week or time are they typically offered. I want to make sure that we keep our calendar open and don't miss out.

Thanks in advance to those who may be able to help. :hi:

They do have a wine tasting social but I believe it is run by sales staff. It was low key however. Talbott was the winery when we went but it was low end wines mainly. It was nice to talk with other Hyatt owners and sit in the main lobby where the fireplace is located.

It was on Tuesday at 4:00 if I remember correctly.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They do have a wine tasting social but I believe it is run by sales staff. It was low key however. Talbott was the winery when we went but it was low end wines mainly. It was nice to talk with other Hyatt owners and sit in the main lobby where the fireplace is located.

It was on Tuesday at 4:00 if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the information. Yes, I always enjoy talking with other owners when wine or food are provided.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks

I want to thank the Tuggers who provided me with information about the Hyatt Highlands Inn.

We were there for a week on an exchange and had a delightful time.

We especially enjoyed using the wood burning fireplace in the evening, the free firewood, and the daily maid service.

We stayed in unit 207 and the view was fantastic. It was categorized as a Horizon view and we could see a lot of ocean.

We went to the wine reception and it was hosted by Morgan Wineries. They had some pretty good wine.

BTW, we received a discount card from the sales guy and we used it to go to some wine tastings in the area.

I checked with the front desk about nightly prices and they said that the week that I was there that the nightly price was $659. Wow!

Thanks again for the input.

hcarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to thank the Tuggers who provided me with information about the Hyatt Highlands Inn.

We were there for a week on an exchange and had a delightful time.

We especially enjoyed using the wood burning fireplace in the evening, the free firewood, and the daily maid service.

We stayed in unit 207 and the view was fantastic. It was categorized as a Horizon view and we could see a lot of ocean.

We went to the wine reception and it was hosted by Morgan Wineries. They had some pretty good wine.

BTW, we received a discount card from the sales guy and we used it to go to some wine tastings in the area.

I checked with the front desk about nightly prices and they said that the week that I was there that the nightly price was $659. Wow!

Thanks again for the input.

You are so welcome! That is what I find great about TUG. There is always somebody that knows at least something about every property out there.

We always enjoy the fireplace (especially in February) - coming from FL we don't ever use those. And we did enjoy the wine tasting social. The main lodge is gorgeous and it is so nice to just sit there with a drink or a bite to eat and stare out at the ocean. The only hard part to stomach is the price of the drinks......a drink and an appetizer at happy hour is often more than our full dinner bill back home. So, we try and get the coupons ahead of time for Pacific's Edge - takes away a little bit of the sting. :) :)

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a 22x townhouse (Sat - Sat) at Highlands Inn. For our most recent stay, our daughter and husband joined us for the weekend. They slept downstairs and appreciated having a separate/ private area to themselves and having their own bathroom with a shower. They also enjoyed the fireplace (the HI provides ample firewood to have a fire morning and night). Our townhouse has a view of Point Lobos. A year ago, I took a 12x photo from Pt. Lobos State Park and was able to make out both our downstairs (balcony) and upstairs windows. Our townhouse is listed as Horizon view although we enjoy ocean views from both floors.

Our townhouse is scheduled to be refurbished before September. Many units have already been completed and look great - we toured an ocean view unit as part of the marketing presentation. Replacing the carpeting, table, chairs, mattress, headboard, etc. only takes part of a single day - we observed them working on a unit one day. All units are also scheduled to get fireplace inserts to cut down on pollution. The HI was just sold to II so we will have to see if these plans are completed, as scheduled, this year.

We enjoy the Carmel/Monterey/Big Sur area and are now looking to buy another HI timeshare (single level 1BR) for us and our children to use. We buy our timeshares retail.

We are spending the Memorial Day week at the Marriott Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe. Our timeshare is a 2BR lockout. We were skiers and the MTL was our favorite place to stay as we and family members would take the Gondola to mid-mountain each day.
I'm thinking about buying a townhouse. Part of the reason is that it yields 2000 points in plat season. Also having the second floor may ensure a better view. I was curious you said that you own a 22x unit. Where exactly is your unit. You said that you enjoy ocean views from both levels. I am considering buying unit 220. This is an end unit. Just thought you might be able to speak about this unit since you are in the same area. Any comments/concerns would be appreciated. Love carmel anytime of year.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I'm thinking about buying a townhouse. Part of the reason is that it yields 2000 points in plat season. Also having the second floor may ensure a better view. I was curious you said that you own a 22x unit. Where exactly is your unit. You said that you enjoy ocean views from both levels. I am considering buying unit 220. This is an end unit. Just thought you might be able to speak about this unit since you are in the same area. Any comments/concerns would be appreciated. Love carmel anytime of year.

Why not just do Getaways to Hyatt Carmel Highlands? It costs the same MF as owner and you won't have any risk.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right now I dont own Hyatt but would like to buy to get to Carmel. Your suggestion actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe buying Pinon Point with lower MF and doing getaways or trading into Carmel is the way to go.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Right now I dont own Hyatt but would like to buy to get to Carmel. Your suggestion actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe buying Pinon Point with lower MF and doing getaways or trading into Carmel is the way to go.

Do you own anything that trades in II? If so, you should be able to see the Getaways available. The only risk to this strategy is if you decide you want to go to Carmel yearly. If so, then you should buy where you want to stay. I thoroughly investigated buying into the Hyatt system but I did not see a single resort that I could see myself wanting to visit every year. I did not want to buy a trader so I decided against Hyatt for this reason. I like Carmel and, even own property there, but we never go because we are so busy with other travel. I have stayed at the Highlands Inn and while it is nice, it does not seem to draw me in for another stay, especially not an entire week. It is a bit isolated and really outside of Carmel. If we stay in Carmel, we prefer the bed and breakfasts in downtown Carmel that are walking distance to everything including the beautiful Carmel beach.

Bill4728

Reaction score
We have been really lucky to trade into Carmel 4 times in the past 4 years including a trade the first week of July last year!! Only once have we gotten a unit with no view. and twice we have gotten full ocean view units!

As far as how you can tell if it is a townhouse or standard unit. The standard units have only 1 bath where the townhouses have 2 baths ( one on each floor) I'm unsure but the townhouses may not have balconies. We love sitting on the balcony to read or just watch the view.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since Hyatt Highlands is out of the area this changes things. Part of the appeal was being able to walk to dinner, shopping and Carmel Beach. I have stayed downtown as well and enjoyed the area so I will be back for shorter stays downtown.

I could envision buying EOY HGVC and EY Marriott. But for now I am turning my attention to Marriott. I would like to buy in and move around some. I found some good advice on this forum. Many suggest buying a 3br lockoff and this makes sense on a number of levels. One of my main concerns is buying short. What I mean is buying enough to get you into most resorts but not quite enough to trade into the highest end properties. It would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars and increasingly rising MF's and still not be able to access the best of what Marriott has to offer. I wonder what location/br/season will ensure that you get to see the best resorts both Marriott and thru II. Somehow my gut is telling that it may take more tha this or a different strategy altogether. A 3br plat in Orlando or Vegas is a great start but part of me is wondering if it will be enough to do what I am thinking, get into the best resorts. Any thoughts anyone?

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Since Hyatt Highlands is out of the area this changes things. Part of the appeal was being able to walk to dinner, shopping and Carmel Beach. I have stayed downtown as well and enjoyed the area so I will be back for shorter stays downtown.

I could envision buying EOY HGVC and EY Marriott. But for now I am turning my attention to Marriott. I would like to buy in and move around some. I found some good advice on this forum. Many suggest buying a 3br lockoff and this makes sense on a number of levels. One of my main concerns is buying short. What I mean is buying enough to get you into most resorts but not quite enough to trade into the highest end properties. It would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars and increasingly rising MF's and still not be able to access the best of what Marriott has to offer. I wonder what location/br/season will ensure that you get to see the best resorts both Marriott and thru II. Somehow my gut is telling that it may take more tha this or a different strategy altogether. A 3br plat in Orlando or Vegas is a great start but part of me is wondering if it will be enough to do what I am thinking, get into the best resorts. Any thoughts anyone?

There are a lot of threads on this topic already. You can do a search on TUG or perhaps someone has the link. Someone did an excellent analysis a while back on this topic.

aarce

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes I think I found the thread. Forgive the redundancy.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Yes I think I found the thread. Forgive the redundancy.

Do you own any timeshares yet? What state do you live in? I really like the Vistana/Westin system. It is super flexible and the website is easy to understand and use for reservations and internal trading. You might want to also look into their timeshare properties. I have heard the Westins have high trading power in II. But what I like compared to buying a Marriott resale week is that with Vistana (if you buy a mandatory resort) you get both internal trading options through StarOptions (for as short as a day or as long as a week) as well as the opportunity to trade through II. With a Marriott resale week, you can only use II.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Hyatt Carmel Highlands is about 5+ miles from Carmel-By-The-Sea. You need to drive to go to downtown Carmel and fight the parking problems, which can be super challenging at times. I would really consider the Hyatt Carmel Highlands to be the beginning of the Big Sur drive. It is a fine place to stay if you like seclusion and ocean views but not a great place if you like walking to restaurants and shops and to the Carmel beach. The Carmel beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Northern California. It runs from southern Carmel all the way to Pebble Beach. It is dog friendly so you must love dogs. Then again, most of the bed and breakfasts in Carmel are dog friendly. Doris Day's bed and breakfast in downtown Carmel is one the most dog friendly B&Bs in town.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
I know this has been quiet for awhile, but I just purchased a resale Highlands Inn (waiting to see if it gets past ROFR) and I have some unanswered questions about trade.

1. From this thread, I understand that not using my points but trading into another Hyatt is done through Hyatt exchange and that availability of various units is shown at a website online.

2. Is II membership included? If not, then in order to trade through II I would have to join II, pay their membership fee, and then pay the exchange fee for trading? Adding about $300 to an exchange week?

3. I love the Carmel area so am quite content with the idea of going there but also am interested in Aspen, Pinon Pointe and the units in Tahoe and San Antonio. What have been people''s experience with availability at those units? Not a golfer and sadly not able to ski much anymore, so would be interested more in spring wildflowers and fall colors. Except summer festival time in Aspen. I am single so a studio would suit me fine....

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this has been quiet for awhile, but I just purchased a resale Highlands Inn (waiting to see if it gets past ROFR) and I have some unanswered questions about trade.

1. From this thread, I understand that not using my points but trading into another Hyatt is done through Hyatt exchange and that availability of various units is shown at a website online.

2. Is II membership included? If not, then in order to trade through II I would have to join II, pay their membership fee, and then pay the exchange fee for trading? Adding about $300 to an exchange week?

3. I love the Carmel area so am quite content with the idea of going there but also am interested in Aspen, Pinon Pointe and the units in Tahoe and San Antonio. What have been people''s experience with availability at those units? Not a golfer and sadly not able to ski much anymore, so would be interested more in spring wildflowers and fall colors. Except summer festival time in Aspen. I am single so a studio would suit me fine....

You trade internally using your points at the Hyatt Residence Club website/or use the 800 number.. This is the only way to trade into other Hyatts.

II membership is included in your MF payment. You will have to pay an exchange fee to trade in II. You have to pay a reservation fee when you trade internally as well.

I have successfully traded internally into Pinon Pointe(early April), Carmel(NY Eve 2 units, August several times), High Sierra(Spring Vacation and Presidents Week), and Northstar(early February).

Hyatt trades well in II.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Congratulations! And here's hoping your purchase will clear ROFR. I think there's a good chance it will, as Hyatt has not been actively exercising ROFR for the past several months. With regard to your questions:
  1. Your terminology/understanding of how Hyatt works is slightly off. You have purchased a fixed unit/fixed week, called HRPP (Home Resort Priority Period). You have six months to confirm you want to use it. If you decide not to--or if you decide you want to trade internally--the points aspect of your ownership kicks in, and the HRPP converts to CUP points.
  2. II membership is included, but you will still have to pay exchange fees when you trade through the external exchange system using II.
  3. There is ample availability for San Antonio and Pinon Pointe just about any time of the year. Aspen in the shoulder seasons can be had, but winter is out and summer is difficult there. Lake Tahoe is limited for the same reasons. Since you're okay with getting a studio unit and your schedule is flexible, I suggest you put in advance requests for Aspen and Lake Tahoe and you will likely get them as long as your request is made several months in advance.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Congratulations! And here's hoping your purchase will clear ROFR. I think there's a good chance it will, as Hyatt has not been actively exercising ROFR for the past several months. With regard to your questions:
  1. Your terminology/understanding of how Hyatt works is slightly off. You have purchased a fixed unit/fixed week, called HRPP (Home Resort Priority Period). You have six months to confirm you want to use it. If you decide not to--or if you decide you want to trade internally--the points aspect of your ownership kicks in, and the HRPP converts to CUP points.
  2. II membership is included, but you will still have to pay exchange fees when you trade through the external exchange system using II.
  3. There is ample availability for San Antonio and Pinon Pointe just about any time of the year. Aspen in the shoulder seasons can be had, but winter is out and summer is difficult there. Lake Tahoe is limited for the same reasons. Since you're okay with getting a studio unit and your schedule is flexible, I suggest you put in advance requests for Aspen and Lake Tahoe and you will likely get them as long as your request is made several months in advance.

I have obtained studio reservations in Aspen in winter multiple times, sent friends skiing there maybe 3-4 times in the past 10 years. Have you tried and failed to get a winter studio week in Aspen?

I’ve seen it written here on TUG that these weeks are impossible to obtain, maybe people are talking about winter holiday weeks or larger units. But Jan in a studio in Aspen has been obtainable for me personally. In the old HRC system, of course.

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Thanks for this! II membership included makes the MFs seem a bit more tolerable. I own in San Francisco as well so it is easy to see combining some time in Carmel with time in San Francisco. Obviously it takes time to figure out a new system, so I'll be sticking around and asking questions. :D Assuming I get past ROFR of course!

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well it has been awhile, but I got past ROFR and completed the purchase. Now waiting for Hyatt to send me a deed and some information. I did ask the owner to make a reservation for the fixed week (48) but I am assuming that I could cancel that reservation and use points to stay in Carmel in January or February? Or use points to sample some of the other resorts in the off season?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Well it has been awhile, but I got past ROFR and completed the purchase. Now waiting for Hyatt to send me a deed and some information. I did ask the owner to make a reservation for the fixed week (48) but I am assuming that I could cancel that reservation and use points to stay in Carmel in January or February? Or use points to sample some of the other resorts in the off season?

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing the details of the unit you purchased and the cost? Thanks.

Best regards.

Mike