• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bidding on Timeshares on Ebay?

Homeawayfromhome2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi There,
My husband and I have decided that we would like to purchase a timeshare on Maui. Specifically Maui Vacation Beach Club.

Would love One Napili but I don't think I'd ever find those for sale by owner.

Anywho, was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to look for and what to stay away from.

We have bought at Lawai Beach Resort from Shell Vacations and learned a HUGE lesson! We could have gotten it much cheaper!

Thanks for any input you can give us.

Nicci and Scott

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I'd suggest you start with the TUG Advice page which has several articles on how to buy resale.

Buying on ebay:

Do your research for several months before you bid - know the market.

Notice the seller's rating on ebay.

Ask all your questions before you bid.

Make sure the seller is going to use a reputable closing/escrow company and only send funds to them - not directly to the seller.

When you find a deal you like, post it on TUG to get expert advice.​

Homeawayfromhome2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice Denise!

I've been reading about all the great deals people on this site have been getting on Ebay and now my husband and I want to join in on getting a deal.
We've thought about getting a timeshare on Maui but have not followed through and I very happy we haven't!

We own on Kauai already and bounce back and forth between Kauai and Maui. We love both islands. We figure will get an every other year and go once a year. We have odd at Lawai Beach Resort.

Anywho... I digress..

Thanks again!
Nicci

Homeawayfromhome2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious, if I buy in the states, for an inexpensive timeshare with low maintenance fees, what are the chances of trading into Maui?
What would be my best chance?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It completely depends on the resort. An off-season week at a low-rated timeshare won't have enough trading power.

If you like the Starwood resorts, a good options is to buy an inexpensive resale with low maintenance fees like Sheraton Desert Oasis, and use the Starwood to Starwood priority to trade into one of the 2 Starwood resorts on Maui. This is pretty do-able except for holiday weeks, if you put in a request at 12 mos. out.

Westin Ka'anapali North and South

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Curious, if I buy in the states, for an inexpensive timeshare with low maintenance fees, what are the chances of trading into Maui?
What would be my best chance?

Maui is part of the "states." :D

Trading into Hawaii from the Mainland will depend on what you own, and what you're trying to get. Best thing would probably be for you to buy a points timeshare, with enough points to get you what you want in the Islands. That way it's just a matter of spending enough points to go where you want, no matter where that is.

Dave

Homeawayfromhome2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maui is part of the "states." :D

Trading into Hawaii from the Mainland will depend on what you own, and what you're trying to get. Best thing would probably be for you to buy a points timeshare, with enough points to get you what you want in the Islands. That way it's just a matter of spending enough points to go where you want, no matter where that is.

Dave

Whoops, I meant the mainland.. because the maintenance fees are less expensive.
Thank you Dave and Denise - I will check into points and I think I will look at Sheraton Desert Oasis - Scottsdale, Arizona.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nicci - Sheraton Desert Oasis is a Starwood timeshare and we have a ton of info. on the TUG Starwood board about it.