• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Peppertree Atlantic Beach I bankruptcy

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Good news for Building 24 & 25 owners.....I talked with the Planning and Inspections Office and the Occupancy permits for Buildings 24 & 25 have been issued. I don't know if that means they are open to owners. I am going to call Peppertree AB because I heard the new manager is asking employees to give owners information now.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Peppertree AB just confirmed the information that Buildings 24 & 25 are open to owners as of a week ago.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
They think they might be finished with 17, 18 & 19 by the end of July but cannot guarantee that.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I just went online to look at inventory available for exchange in Trading Places and found an exchange for PAB listed saying it is VRI. I went to the VRI site and sure enough found PAB listed on their site. Did the HOA change management companies to the good?
I called Peppertree AB about this and VRI has 2 units in the whole complex and Festiva is still the management company.

NC Air

Reaction score
FYI the inspections department at Atlantic Beach will no longer give updates to callers. I just tried and they referred me to "the new Regional Director up there at Peppertree, who has assured us they will give better updates to owners."

I gather that the town got just as sick of no answers being provided by Peppertree as we owners did, and hopefully have told them to get their act together.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
FYI the inspections department at Atlantic Beach will no longer give updates to callers. I just tried and they referred me to "the new Regional Director up there at Peppertree, who has assured us they will give better updates to owners."

I gather that the town got just as sick of no answers being provided by Peppertree as we owners did, and hopefully have told them to get their act together.
The Inspection's Dept are PUBLIC servants so I don't think they can actually stop owners from calling them. They just want us to try Peppertree first and only call them when Peppertree won't provide us information that is up to date and be honest with us.

Shelleykc

Reaction score
New manager?

Good news for Building 24 & 25 owners.....I talked with the Planning and Inspections Office and the Occupancy permits for Buildings 24 & 25 have been issued. I don't know if that means they are open to owners. I am going to call Peppertree AB because I heard the new manager is asking employees to give owners information now.

Who is this new manager you referred to and when did this happen? Jeri Craine was still the manager on 10 June. Thanks for any information.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Who is this new manager you referred to and when did this happen? Jeri Craine was still the manager on 10 June. Thanks for any information.
I can't remember the name but I think he was referred to as the Regional Manager so I am not sure he is on site.

NC Air

Reaction score

the town inspections dept called referred to the Peppertree person that has promised better updates and info as "the new regional Director" or "the new regional Manager" so I gather there is someone that has been added perhaps as another layer or who is finally aware they have done an unacceptable job with the communications.

FYI was there again this weekend. They are quite a ways from finishing 17-18-19, judging from the amount of new material that has been delivered to the parking lot that wasn't there a few weeks ago.

Nobody was working Saturday or Sunday, but they were there working Monday. I think the construction crew is doing just a Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule.

Separately, Was told the middle pool, the one where the mushroom buildings 1-9 surrounded it before they were demolished, is closed. The small new building/shack that was constructed on the east side of the pool is for the new pump equipment but it's not done yet. Pumps were previously in ground floor of one of the demolished buildings. Sprayground/splashpad is working though.. Once the pump equipment is finished installation and testing and inspection then they'll open the pool sitting in the middle of the area that is now FOR SALE

[IMGR] 20160718_121852 by NC Air, on Flickr[/IMGR]
And lastly, there is a huge FOR SALE sign at the front entrance of Peppertree stating 4 acres for redevelopment. I asked the registration people if that is the property from the bankrupt Phase 1 and was told indeed it is. They don't know what will be built and what if any of Phase 2 and 3 amenities would be available to whomever comes in to build something on the Phase 1 property. It's quite large: all the area surrounding the pool, the former indoor pool by the splashpad, the former outdoor pool, and the former standalone sales center that housed the former indoor and outdoor pools. From there all the way over wrapping around behind the tennis courts. Everything that was demolished. Very interesting. And whatever the sales price turns out to be, that covers the demolition cost and legal fees, and the former owners of phase 1 get nothing?

Found the property sales listing here by googling the phone number from the for sale sign, with a map and explanation of "opportunity to rebuild up to 84 condos at peppertree" Price is $5 million.
http://www.crystalcoasthomesearch.com/homes/715-W-Fort-Macon-Road/Atlantic-Beach/NC/28512/64377396/

and a duplicate listing here
http://www.crystalcoasthomesearch.com/homes/715-W-Fort-Macon-Road/Atlantic-Beach/NC/28512/63977215/

orig_boomver_1_100019317-1.jpg

Last edited:

SheilaE

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that our MF were increased to cover the common areas such as pool, which is closed, etc., that would have been covered by PABI but yet the area is for sale ... So begs the question.....

NC Air

Reaction score
I find it interesting that our MF were increased to cover the common areas such as pool, which is closed, etc., that would have been covered by PABI but yet the area is for sale ... So begs the question.....

well if the for sale property map is accurate, they are selling the land around the pool but not the pool itself. Phase 1 owned and maintained the pool. If they sell the Phase 1 property but not the pool, who will pay for the pool now? I assume Phase 2 and 3 will have to take it over, eventually along with whoever comes in and rebuilds phase 1.

Look at the wording in the ad. Whoever builds the new phase 1 will have "full use of all amenities including beach access."

Would be nice if someone would come in. build the new Phase 1, buyout Festiva's management contract and kick them the hell out so we have someone else to deal with.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
well if the for sale property map is accurate, they are selling the land around the pool but not the pool itself. Phase 1 owned and maintained the pool. If they sell the Phase 1 property but not the pool, who will pay for the pool now? I assume Phase 2 and 3 will have to take it over, eventually along with whoever comes in and rebuilds phase 1.

Look at the wording in the ad. Whoever builds the new phase 1 will have "full use of all amenities including beach access."

Would be nice if someone would come in. build the new Phase 1, buyout Festiva's management contract and kick them the hell out so we have someone else to deal with.

Please be care fully for what you ask for.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
"A unique opportunity to build up to 84 condominiums within an existing development at Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. This project replaces 14 demolished buildings within the pre-existing footprint. Streets, parking, sewer system, direct beach access to private ocean beach, 2 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool, playground, plus other amenities galore are already in place. Total estimated value of all amenities and infrastructure is $2.9MM. You only have to build the buildings, which can be built in phases to limit your financial exposure. Permitting should be simple to re-create this highly profitable venture. City officials and the existing development will welcome this project."

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I had some friends that were at Peppertree AB last week and 17, 18, and 19 are still being worked on. It seems like most everybody appears to be happy that their weeks are available for use now except 17, 18 and 19 week owners. I hope those people will get their weeks for use this year before the summer runs out.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was contacted on 7/12 by resort that I should be able to use my week 32 Bldg 17

I had some friends that were at Peppertree AB last week and 17, 18, and 19 are still being worked on. It seems like most everybody appears to be happy that their weeks are available for use now except 17, 18 and 19 week owners. I hope those people will get their weeks for use this year before the summer runs out.

I just got back home this weekend and had a voice message from the resort that the building will be inspected on 7/29. They wanted me to call the office to confirm they had the correct phone number.

I called yesterday and spoke to John to confirm my telephone number. He reiterated on the phone that the resort expected Building 17 to be completed and issued an occupancy certificate on 7/29. He stated that there had been no past issues with previous buildings that have been inspected.

I am remaining very hopeful with low expectations. I have a guest using the week. She is well aware of the issues going on. She is joining family for the week at Peppertree. The family members are owners in Building 25. It's really cutting things close with check-in on 8/7.

Astroglass87

Reaction score
Totally Ticked OFF - Peppertree AB

My first time here.
As I read the comments it appears my wife and I are not alone. We have the last or next to last week in Aug in Bldg 22. We live in north central Virginia. As I was loaded and leaving for vacation Aug 2015 I stopped at the mailbox and got the bad news. We tried to work something ...anything ...out with them but in the end was told It's Not Going To Happen. After well over 20 years paying their fees (and for years there were no improvements to bldg 22) we get this.
Call us whatever you want (I see deadbeat below) I am not in the habit of paying for something I don't get. We have tried to communicate with PTAB and express our concerns but the replies we get are just like Hey, You Owe Us so Pay and read like they don't even read the letters.
I don't pay for what I do not get. I get bill after increasing bill and today a Special Assessment that already has late fees included.
I'm done with them and Zoolandia Capital. If I have to I will disconnect the home phone. I work a lot of midnight shifts and they continually wake me up and could care less that they are interrupting the 4 hours of sleep I get during the day.
So call me deadbeat...whatever name you wish...I DON"T CARE. If they want money they can communicate and act professionally....but don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

allsmiles277

Reaction score
I don't blame you one bit.....everybody has been treated badly. Bottom line is they don't care...aka Board members for Section II and Festiva. If they sell the land that Buildings 1-14 for 5 million dollars do you think Peppertree AB will get benefits from the sale .....NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!! Management companies are crooks and line their pockets with money ANY WAY THEY CAN !!!! There may be a few management companies that do the right thing but Festiva is not one of them. And the Board members are spineless weasels. I would hate to see somebody lose their unit in Building 22 but I understand completely how you feel. Most owners have been treated like dogs in this mess. If they foreclose on your unit in Building 22 there will be someone who will buy it. Good summer weeks are the only value at Peppertree now especially prime time July weeks.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't pay for what I do not get. I get bill after increasing bill and today a Special Assessment that already has late fees included.

They may be slime but my advice if you like the Resort and want to use your Week in the future is to pay the money as distasteful as it may be. Otherwise you will definitely lose your Week. If, on the other hand, you have not interest in ever using your Week again, ignore them and prepare yourself to try and thwart their efforts to collect.

George

allsmiles277

Reaction score
Festiva never sends out certified mail and relies on regular post office mail so they have no proof that they sent any communication that you owe anything to them. That means they are not serious about collecting late fees. I guess they are too cheap to pay for anything other than regular mail. I think in most legal situations they don't have much of a leg to stand on. And if you protect yourself by placing your timeshare(s) in an LLC it further insulates you from losing personal possessions you have worked for all of your life. I am not saying that if you only own 1 timeshare that you need to do this but if you have several it could be a good idea for future reference. I also suggest talking to an attorney before doing any of this since they are familiar with the law.

NC Air

Reaction score
My first time here.
As I read the comments it appears my wife and I are not alone. We have the last or next to last week in Aug in Bldg 22. We live in north central Virginia. As I was loaded and leaving for vacation Aug 2015 I stopped at the mailbox and got the bad news. We tried to work something ...anything ...out with them but in the end was told It's Not Going To Happen. After well over 20 years paying their fees (and for years there were no improvements to bldg 22) we get this.
Call us whatever you want (I see deadbeat below) I am not in the habit of paying for something I don't get. We have tried to communicate with PTAB and express our concerns but the replies we get are just like Hey, You Owe Us so Pay and read like they don't even read the letters.
I'm done with them and Zoolandia Capital. If I have to I will disconnect the home phone. I work a lot of midnight shifts and they continually wake me up and could care less that they are interrupting the 4 hours of sleep I get during the day.
So call me deadbeat...whatever name you wish...I DON"T CARE. If they want money they can communicate and act professionally....but don't think that's going to happen any time soon.

Welcome to the site. With a late Aug week in Bldg 22, at least you get to use your week this year. Our week came and went, and I'm out the maintenance fee. Thankfully there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel and next summer we'll all be able to relax. One thing that WON'T change is that Festiva will still be there and they'll still suck.