• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC in San Francisco: Pts changing 2017

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Heads up.

Anyone thinking about going to San Francisco and staying at Club Donatello, the number of points needed to make a reservation is going up in 2017.

It used to take only 2,400pts to reserve a studio for 7 nights during anytime between Jan 1 - Dec 31.

Per Club Traveler, starting with reservations in 2017:

For Platinum, weeks 16-43, 47 and 52, a Studio for seven nights will cost 5,250 ClubPoints.

For Gold, weeks 1-15, 44-46 and 48-51, a Studio for seven nights will cost 3,750 ClubPoints.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heads up.

Anyone thinking about going to San Francisco and staying at Club Donatello, the number of points needed to make a reservation is going up in 2017.

It used to take only 2,400pts to reserve a studio for 7 nights during anytime between Jan 1 - Dec 31.

Per Club Traveler, starting with reservations in 2017:

For Platinum, weeks 16-43, 47 and 52, a Studio for seven nights will cost 5,250 ClubPoints.

For Gold, weeks 1-15, 44-46 and 48-51, a Studio for seven nights will cost 3,750 ClubPoints.

I believe what you are saying is true, but those point levels are a TOTAL AND COMPLETE rip-off. I stayed there recently and the room's are very old, most likely original furnishing from the 80s. there are so many mirrors in in the entry way it feels like a bad carnival fun house or a Las Vegas adult motel from the 70s.. The rooms for HGVC guests are on the top 3 floors and are NOT the newly remodel Shell/Wyndham rooms. The bathrooms are old (original?) and small. Also, these are HOTEL rooms, not studios. we had no microwave, no sink, no kitchen utensils or equipment, and the fridge was a small, stocked, honor bar.

Plus, on top of that the club Donatello charges HGVC guests a resort fee. WTF is that? This is not a resort but rather an urban hotel, and a poor one at that.

One last thing, we asked for a "quite room" and was given one but even those rooms are super noisy. Avoid this property.

Last edited:

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
I believe what you are saying is true, but those point levels are a TOTAL AND COMPLETE rip-off. I stayed there recently and the room's are very old, most likely original furnishing from the 80s. there are so many mirrors in in the entry way it feels like a bad carnival fun house or a Las Vegas adult motel from the 70s.. The rooms for HGVC guests are on the top 3 floors and are NOT the newly remodel Shell/Wyndham rooms. The bathrooms are old (original?) and small. Also, these are HOTEL rooms, not studios. we had no microwave, no sink, no kitchen utensils or equipment, and the fridge was a small, stocked, honor bar.

Plus, on top of that the club Donatello charges HGVC guests a resort fee. WTF is that? This is not a resort but rather an urban hotel, and a poor one at that.

One last thing, we asked for a "quite room" and was given one but even those rooms are super noisy. Avoid this property.

YIKES!

Thanks for the update and info! I was looking at pictures of the newly renovated units and thought that is what HGVC members would be reserving since those appear to be a Studio unit.

The old looking hotel units are not up to HGVC standards! If that is what we get with our club points, then you're right, avoid this hotel/resort.

I still would like to make it to San Francisco someday, but may need to go through RCI, instead.

jestme

Reaction score
Does that mean the owners of a studio there will now get their annual points increased so they can continue to use what they bought?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Does that mean the owners of a studio there will now get their annual points increased so they can continue to use what they bought?

This was not HGVC resort, it was more of an affiliate / partner location where you could use your points to stay. There was not any "HGVC Owners" associated with this location.

If HGVC does ever open the rumored Hilton Club location in SF, i am almost certain they would drop their ties with the Donatello.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
If HGVC does ever open the rumored Hilton Club location in SF, i am almost certain they would drop their ties with the Donatello.

Agreed, I think they should drop Club Donatello now, the rooms are simple NOT up to HGVC standards, or even RCI Gold Crown standards.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Going to San Francisco bring Coats

YIKES!

Thanks for the update and info! I was looking at pictures of the newly renovated units and thought that is what HGVC members would be reserving since those appear to be a Studio unit.

The old looking hotel units are not up to HGVC standards! If that is what we get with our club points, then you're right, avoid this hotel/resort.

I still would like to make it to San Francisco someday, but may need to go through RCI, instead.

We stayed at the Donatello in early September 2010. We did get an RCI exchange using 2400 HGVC points for a week. The resort is in a good location in the center of the city. The accommodations were fine even though not particularly special. we typically don't look for the most upscale and luxurious accommodations, a walkable location without a car and warm weather are what we look for. We don't like getting a car on vacation so we wanted the central city location so that we could walk or use public transportation as we do when when in Honolulu, Miami Beach, San Diego, and New Orleans. However, while the public transportation is very good, the hills in San Francisco make walking very difficult in certain directions. Furthermore, in early September San Francisco was very cold and windy making walking uncomfortable. We left our warm pool and 80 degree weather on Long island for 55 degree windy weather requiring a coat. Since we like our weather over 70 degrees we will never go back to this otherwise nice city.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We stayed at the Donatello in early September 2010. We did get an RCI exchange using 2400 HGVC points for a week. The resort is in a good location in the center of the city. The accommodations were fine even though not particularly special. we typically don't look for the most upscale and luxurious accommodations, a walkable location without a car and warm weather are what we look for. We don't like getting a car on vacation so we wanted the central city location so that we could walk or use public transportation as we do when when in Honolulu, Miami Beach, San Diego, and New Orleans. However, while the public transportation is very good, the hills in San Francisco make walking very difficult in certain directions. Furthermore, in early September San Francisco was very cold and windy making walking uncomfortable. We left our warm pool and 80 degree weather on Long island for 55 degree windy weather requiring a coat. Since we like our weather over 70 degrees we will never go back to this otherwise nice city.

Ahh yes. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
:hysterical:
I visited family there regularly when I was growing up. We always went for Thanksgiving or Easter and I always got really sick and was always freezing cold.

When I was a young adult, I thought I was clever by going in June. After walking around Fisherman's Wharf one evening, I had to put on a big jacket, get into bed and curl up in a ball. I was shivering and my teeth were chattering.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The biggest seller for SF tourists is sweatshirts and hoodies. I lived there a year and don't think I ever wore shorts.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we like our weather over 70 degrees we will never go back to this otherwise nice city.

We've had some pretty hot days this summer in SF, but it's just so hard to predict in advance when it will happen, unfortunately.

One of those things that Twain never actually said...but it sure does sound like him :)

Cheers.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Quotes about San Francisco and Hawaii

We've had some pretty hot days this summer in SF, but it's just so hard to predict in advance when it will happen, unfortunately.

One of those things that Twain never actually said...but it sure does sound like him :)

Cheers.

Perhaps Mark Twain didn't actually say that but the quote has it right. Mark Twain did have it right when he did say this about Hawaii " The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"

I will use my HGVC points there instead of San Francisco.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Mark Twain didn't actually say that but the quote has it right. Mark Twain did have it right when he did say this about Hawaii " The loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean"

I will use my HGVC points there instead of San Francisco.

We use ours in Hawai'i (Bay Club) quite often. A most excellent use of points.

San Francisco can definitely be on the cooler side in the summer and, as you say, that's not for everyone :)

The beauty of HGVC is the flexibility.

Cheers.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I like the Donatello but only stay in the Shell units, which are better equipped, sounds like. But I prefer Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, which had a full kitchen. I highly recommend that.

You might also look into staying at Wyndham Canterbury through RCI. It's a beautiful place and on-par with HGVC quality.

I had a terrible fall by the turnaround for the cable cars during our last stay at the Donatello, about 3 years ago, and we were glad to have a lot of DVD's along on the trip because I spent the last three days off my feet. I cannot believe what a klutz I can be! The television was huge, and our unit was quiet for the two of us, but I have a feeling we might have disturbed people nearby with our loud TV.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
....... You might also look into staying at Wyndham Canterbury through RCI. It's a beautiful place and on-par with HGVC quality......

Thanks for the tip.

I now have Wyndham Canterbury saved as a FAVORITE in my RCI account. That place looks really nice and what I would expect for a HGVC property in San Fran.