• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hello and a question

Alluc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently at WKORVN for our annual stay. Made it through the Tropical Storm Darby. We were here for Flossie and Iselle too, must me our luck. So Aloha to any others here as well

My question has to do with the timestamp on a reservation made online vs over the phone. I know you are in the system 9 hours before if you book online vs calling. However, I'm wondering how the time stamps are managed now with the online and phone calls since many more people can be online booking at any given time. In other words there were only so many operators taking our calls and I would imagine that we would would only have to "compete" with as many callers as there were operators taking the calls at exactly 9am EST. Now you could have a many many times more people online trying to book at the same time. So are time stamps now separated by seconds?, are online reservations queued like a phone reservation?

TIA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
are online reservations queued like a phone reservation?

TIA

They should all be in the order they are received, whether you go online or call. If you call, you will be 9 hours down the line or more.

BTW - the confirmation numbers are sequential, in the order they are made.

Alluc

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the super quick response
yes, I understood that part of the process. I'm thinking that when there was only phone reservations it limited the number of reservations being taken at 9am to 903 for example. Say there were 100 operators,the first 100 callers are handled right at 9am, so 100 villas at, say WKORVN, are being booked and when another owner gets through the que at 904 his time stamp is 101st.

With online reservations many more owners are booking at exact same time so you could have 500 or 1000 owners booking online at 1201. So if you're booking at 1202 you are now 1001st on the time stamp.

As we know a lower time stamp gives you a better chance to request a particular building, floor, villa or even upgraded room.

I am crazy or does what I outlined make sense?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
so you could have 500 or 1000 owners booking online at 1201.

I don't think there is any ambiguity, because the system is assigning each confirmation a unique, sequential, number - even when many reservations are made within a few minutes.

And the reality is that the system bogs down at midnight, so even if you click the button right at 12:00, you often have to resend it several times, and may not get something until 12:15 - or not at all.

As we know a lower time stamp gives you a better chance to request a particular building, floor, villa or even upgraded room.

Actually, reservations will not accept a request for a particular bldg., floor, villa, or upgraded room. The only thing you can actually request is a high or low floor within your deeded view category.

The advantage to having low number/timestamp is that (in theory) it gives you higher priority (within your deeded view category) when units are assigned by inventory control.

Last edited:

Alluc

Reaction score
Actually, reservations will not accept a request for a particular bldg., floor, villa, or upgraded room. The only thing you can actually request is a high or low floor within your deeded view category.
[/I]

True, I was referring to the front desk. I understand that the properties get their room assignments on Wednesday/Thursday for the Friday checkin. I've been calling the front desk of the property the Wednesday before we check in and have requested building, floor and villa #s. They often reference my timestamp as being early enough to be able request something specific. Then when we check in we ask again for a building, floor villa #s. We have been very lucky that we have been able to have the same villa for the last 4 years (the time period I have been doing this). It also helps us keep the same villa through our two week stay.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Online reservations has definitely opened up the field. Before when you had to wait to call you we're dealing with operators for the entire company also, not just one location. Yes, the system can be slow or time out but there are still a lot more users going online at midnight vs waiting to call at 9am.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been calling the front desk of the property the Wednesday before we check in and have requested building, floor and villa #s. They often reference my timestamp as being early enough to be able request something specific. Then when we check in we ask again for a building, floor villa #s. We have been very lucky that we have been able to have the same villa for the last 4 years (the time period I have been doing this). It also helps us keep the same villa through our two week stay.

-What view do you own?

-What are you requesting?

-Are you a 5 Star Elite Owner?

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I don't believe being an elite owner does anything for preference. At least that has been my experience.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't believe being an elite owner does anything for preference. At least that has been my experience.

It absolutely does make a difference...

The timestamp has first priority for home resort reservations, but if there is an upgrade available - Elite Owners have priority.

*We know this because this is info. that was published by Starwood.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I've never gotten an upgrade. Elite status has done nothing for me in terms of room placement. It's worthless.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I've never gotten an upgrade. Elite status has done nothing for me in terms of room placement. It's worthless.

What level of Elite are you? As a 5-star I've been placed in rooms which would otherwise be unexpected. For instance, we reserved 2 weeks in 2 separate units at Harborside -- using StarOptions and over the Thanksgiving holiday -- and were placed in some of the nicest units in the complex facing the marina and Royal Towers. I suppose it's possible that we just lucked out, but it does seem that we are consistently assigned to the nicer units. It's all anecdotal evidence though.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I'm at 4*, just shy of 5*. Nothing would convince me to buy with them to get me over the hump as I see no value in elite. It could just be my experiences at the resorts I own or/and visit or even that I am only 4*. But on the flip side, that doesn't make a good argument for themselves that I need to be 5.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did two bookings back to back one time in the middle of the night. Got sequential booking numbers :)

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Note that confirmation numbers are sequential only within the same resort.

If you make 2 reservations at the same resort, one right after the other, you will get sequential reservation numbers.

However, if you make 2 reservations at different resorts, one right after the other, you will get wholly dissimilar reservation numbers.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Note that confirmation numbers are sequential only within the same resort.

If you make 2 reservations at the same resort, one right after the other, you will get sequential reservation numbers.

However, if you make 2 reservations at different resorts, one right after the other, you will get wholly dissimilar reservation numbers.

Of course... Reservations made at different resorts have no relationship to each other, and are not in the same sequence of numbers.

Last edited:

Alluc

Reaction score
-What view do you own?

-What are you requesting?

-Are you a 5 Star Elite Owner?

Ocean view

Top floor of building 7, north side of the building away from the road at WKORVN

3 Star

tklement

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surprise upgrade

We were just at WKORV 7/23-7/30, we own a 2BR LO Island View (Bldg 4), we received a 2BR LO Ocean Front Deluxe (Bldg 2 first floor). We are Elite 4 * and I believe I made the reservation 12months out. Very Pleasantly surprised. Last year our 12 month out reservation for first week of February was not upgraded. Also this is the first time we have rented the whole 2BR LO for the same week. v/r, TxAzCat:banana::banana:

RnU

TUG Member
Reaction score
It absolutely does make a difference...

The timestamp has first priority for home resort reservations, but if there is an upgrade available - Elite Owners have priority.

*We know this because this is info. that was published by Starwood.

Denise, do you know if owners of premium view weeks, say Ocean Front/Ocean Side, get priority for those views if they book after the Home Resort reservation period if there is availability?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, do you know if owners of premium view weeks, say Ocean Front/Ocean Side, get priority for those views if they book after the Home Resort reservation period if there is availability?

If you book within 8 mos., you get a floating view reservation - no matter what view you own. The system does not recognize your underlying view, when you use Staroptions.

So you would definitely get a "floating view," confirmation.

Therefore, an "Ocean Front" unit would be an upgrade that could only be assigned at check-in.

Elite Owners have first priority for upgrades.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elite Owners have first priority for upgrades.

My experience is that we've never had an "upgrade" on our home resort bookings, but the front desk has been very flexible in seeing if other options were available at time of check-in.

On our SO bookings, they've ended up in OV's every time, except when we asked for three bookings to be close to each other and they all ended up in B4 on the 6th floor facing in pretty much every possible direction...