• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how to access Hawaii public records to see deeds?

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know someone posted a link on TUG within the last several months that took you to a place where you could put in your name to see what titles were listed...

I've tried to search for it using a combination of words like "county, deeds, title, etc", but can't seem to find the link....
I've also tried using search engines to get me to the county site, but can't figure out how to access the right information from the database....:doh:

HELP?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I use this one for Kaua'i. You can change the county, and pick up all.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deed wrong?

Just for the heck of it I wanted to see if the link worked, and lo and behold my name etc all came back correct, maybe.

"Under notes" it appears to list the unit number I was assigned- then several letters and numbers- then a fraction 1/102 INT

I'm thinking that means an every other year interest?

I've owned it since 1998 and have been getting (and paying for) an annual week. The broker is out of business (Holiday) and I wouldn't spend any monies on correcting it anyway since I'm getting the full week, plus the current Ebay value on it isn't much greater than $1

Anyone think this means I only have an EOY week? Can anyone else confirm that their results are different using this search?

thanks,
don

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone think this means I only have an EOY week? Can anyone else confirm that their results are different using this search?

thanks,
don

Yes, Don, that's an EOY. Check further, because it might be split and there might be another listing for a 2nd EOY. Also, check your original deed that was recorded and see if it is 1/102 or 2/102 or 1/51. If your original deed indicates 1/51 or 2/102, it was listed/recorded incorrectly at the County recordings....and is easy to correct. The important information is what is listed on your original recorded deed.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Don, that's an EOY. Check further, because it might be split and there might be another listing for a 2nd EOY. Also, check your original deed that was recorded and see if it is 1/102 or 2/102 or 1/51. If your original deed indicates 1/51 or 2/102, it was listed/recorded incorrectly at the County recordings....and is easy to correct. The important information is what is listed on your original recorded deed.

I think you're right- and it's not split into two separate listings!!! This is very interesting- sort of like detective work. I have the deed in the safe deposit box, so I'll have to go to the bank, but I would be shocked if I missed that error when I got the deed! - but I guess it's possible.

The web site allowed me to track the ownership history. The day I bought this week (Oct 7, 1998) from the previous owner, another buyer bought the same interest (1/102) from the same seller. (This would lend further proof that it was recorded as an EOY)

Then in 2004 the other buyer amended the deed (The web site gives no details what the amendment was)

This leads me to several issues:

• How is it possible that I'm using the entire week? Is this other buyer also being charged and using the same week? sounds like "The Producers"!!!

• If my deed indicates full ownership- my inclination would be to do nothing since I'm getting what I paid for, it's just not recorded properly.
  • I also presume that the resort has it right- again since I'm paying and getting a full week
  • Should I pursue this because I would have an issue eventually selling it?

What would you do?

thanks,
don

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think you're right- and it's not split into two separate listings!!! This is very interesting- sort of like detective work. I have the deed in the safe deposit box, so I'll have to go to the bank, but I would be shocked if I missed that error when I got the deed! - but I guess it's possible.

[*]
  • If my deed indicates full ownership- my inclination would be to do nothing since I'm getting what I paid for, it's just not recorded properly.
  • I also presume that the resort has it right- again since I'm paying and getting a full week
  • Should I pursue this because I would have an issue eventually selling it?

What would you do?

thanks,
don

If your deed indicates a 2/102 (which is probably the case) or 1/51...then all is ok. Just take the original deed with you the next time you go on island, and go to the county records, and have it changed. First thing is to check the deed.

Haven't tried your Vet down on Mill Plain as yet...every year I keep thinking about it, but haven't made the change.

Take care; stay dry.

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your deed indicates a 2/102 (which is probably the case) or 1/51...then all is ok. Just take the original deed with you the next time you go on island, and go to the county records, and have it changed. First thing is to check the deed.

Haven't tried your Vet down on Mill Plain as yet...every year I keep thinking about it, but haven't made the change.

Take care; stay dry.

Well I'm still not sure where I stand. I dug out the deed from the bottom of the safe deoposit box.

It states, " An Interval ownership shown as an undivided 1/102 interest during Every Year floating use period in apartment... together with an undivided 0.4703% common interest appurtenant to said apartment."

It sounds contradictory to me.

Any thoughts?

don

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well I'm still not sure where I stand. I dug out the deed from the bottom of the safe deoposit box.

It states, " An Interval ownership shown as an undivided 1/102 interest during Every Year floating use period in apartment... together with an undivided 0.4703% common interest appurtenant to said apartment."

It sounds contradictory to me.

Any thoughts?

don

Oh...oh!
You don't by any chance have the marked up copy of the deed that the closing company sends out for your review, do you??? Unless the units are 3 1/2 days for an interval...something has gone awry! Can't have 1/102 interest and every year.

Do you have the information of the previous owners...it should be on your deed...as "grantors"...and the notarized information...you should be able to track down their address. You can contact them to see if they have their original (or a copy) where the current information was taken from. You can also get previous copies of the "original recorded deeds" from the county records' office. Next time you are on island, check with the county records, and see if the previous recorded deed has 1/102 or 2/102 or 1/51.

If it is still recorded incorrectly, and you bought the Title Insurance (?), you can get it changed. But, the first thing is to see if the previous recorded county records of this interval is the same as you now have.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is it possible that it's the "1/102" that is in error, and the deed transfer just went with what was wrong in the first place? If the resort just transferred Mr. Jones' week to Mr. Smith, they might not have paid attention either. This could go back several owners. And who knows who reads what on t/s deeds, if anything more than the name. Toss a PCC into the mix, and it could get all sorts of screwed up. :shrug:

Good luck, Don!

Dave

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish I had never seen this post!!! I will say again this is very interesting- if not slightly unsettling.

I called the original owner- she seems elderly, and she couldn't recall the details of the transaction- so I just said I was sorry to have bothered her.

So... I guess the original owner could have sold two different weeks- but the other buyer has the same unit number as mine!! Again, it looks like a EOY.

I don't really want to call the resort and bring this to anyones attention for fear of losing a week EOY.

Are there any PG owners out there who would go on the link and see if their units are listed differently.

I'll start another thread highlighting PG owners.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

thanks

don

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it is still recorded incorrectly, and you bought the Title Insurance (?), you can get it changed. But, the first thing is to see if the previous recorded county records of this interval is the same as you now have.

I no longer have the paperwork from Holiday- its from 1998!!

I don't think I have to go to the BI- I can order the deed from the website- but what if the grantor deed is the same?? Their's could be wrong as well.

ouaifer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I no longer have the paperwork from Holiday- its from 1998!!

I don't think I have to go to the BI- I can order the deed from the website- but what if the grantor deed is the same?? Their's could be wrong as well.

No, that's not what I meant. The county records will have all of the previous transfers on record..so if a previous recorded deed has it as 2/102 or EY, then you have cause to challenge what you now have in your deed. The grantor's deed is what you have recorded.

If you ever unload it, how would you list it if you don't know or get it corrected?

Someone definitely made a boo boo somewhere along the way.

You know I live right down the street from you in Danbury...right on the NF border? You can call or e-mail/PM me your phone number.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is so cool! I found all of our Hawaii deeds through the date they carry them. Just waiting for the last one I bought to appear, which should be when they update the system. Thanks!