• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can someone explain Ebay's square deal requirement

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
I placed a rental ad on Ebay for a t/s I own, and they let me place the ad, but the next day they pulled it because I "violated their travel policy"

Ebay then listed several links to attempt to explain their reasons, and how I could correct my shortcomings, but I don't have the time or inclination to weed through all the minutia. I presume their intent is to make sure that I own the t/s?

Does anyone have any experience in this matter that they can share with me?
I think it has something to do with square deal ??

don

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Why I Don't Use eBay For Renting Out Timeshares.

Does anyone have any experience in this matter that they can share with me?
I concluded eBay's Square Trade requirement is more trouble than it's worth.

To sign up, I had to fax in a copy of my timeshare deed & fill in a bunch of Internet questionnaires & send in my credit card information so they could charge me a monthly fee.

Then they kept on charging me fees month after month despite my repeated requests to drop Square Trade. Eventually I got them to let me quit, but they didn't send me any refunds. I asked their complaint department how a company called Square Trade can square that kind of behavior with the name they use for doing business.

Later, when we tried using eBay for renting out another timeshare, we had to jump through all those Square Trade hoops again -- deed, credit card, the whole works.

By then they had set up an option for suspending the service & the monthly charges temporarily without totally quitting Square Trade. They say that if I list something else on eBay for which eBay requires Square Trade, my Square Trade membership (& fees) will reactivate automatically.

Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't found out because I'm staying away from listing anything for which eBay requires Square Trade.

In any case, I have not been charged for Square Trade since turning it off after the last time I used it. I won't find out whether I still have a dormant Square Trade membership on file waiting to spring back to active status unless I try renting out another timeshare via eBay -- an unlikely eventuality because of the other, less hassle-prone ways of renting out timeshares.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The travel business is filled with scammers and shady folks. A lot of them were setting up shop on eBay and generating lots of complaints.

eBay figured out they could both make a dent in the scamming and generate more profit by requiring Square Trade certifcation for all listings in the travel section.

To get Square Trade travel certified you need to show the Square Trade people that you actually do own inventory that you can list on eBay. Once you do that you can get their seal, which will automatically be placed in all of your eBay listings. Since a lot of scammers owned nothing, this requirement cut back on the number of bogus and fraudulent listings.

Note that once you have the travel certification from Square Trade, you can list anything you want in the travel area; Square Trade doesn't verify that what you are listing matches what you showed them to obtain the Square Trade certification. Nor does Square Trade verify that you still own the item you used to obtain the certification. So there are a lot of loopholes in the system.

And since Square Trade certification isn't fee and eBay owns Square Trade, the requirement increases eBay's revenue.

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
AND that darn badge will automatically show up on non-real estate auctions as well.

Pain in the you know where.