• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crystal Shores, Marco or Maoi Hawaii August

soob

Reaction score
Which would you choose in August - Marriotts Crystal Shores in Marco Island or Marriotts Maoi Ocean Club in Hawaii. We have to vacation in August and the flight prices are the same to travel from the UK to Florida and Hawaii (cant understand why flights to Florida are not cheaper than flights to Hawaii from the UK). We have two teenagers so particularly like good pools and nice resorts. Also would like to snorkel. Daughter likes to shop and we all enjoy nature/eco tours. Any input welcome, thanks. Suzanne Also, what is the weather like in Hawaii in August and is this the busy season? (Sorry, i do mean MAUI Ocean Club!)

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott's Crystal Shores is a brand new, yet not fully completed resort on a beautiful wide, white sand beach. Additionally, I would think you would save yourself about 24 hours of flying (12 hours each direction).

Based upon the flight times, my vote would be for Marco Island, Florida.

Good Luck!

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hawaii is much better in my opinion. It is beautiful, has a unique culture, great weather, beaches (including snorkeling), and nature activities and very nice resorts.

On the other hand, August is hurricane season in Florida especially toward the end of the month and there is not as much to do in Marco Island.

If you have less than 10 days, I would go to Florida and save Hawaii for another trip due to the travel time.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can deal with the much longer flight, it s Maui hands down. Check out my website below for some beautiful scenery that only Maui can offer. The Maui Marriott is in the very best spot, for young and old alike. Right on that great beach walkway for a quick stroll to numerous restaurants and shops on the beach, and only a 1/4 mile to Front St for alot more fun and excitement.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
One thing to remember is that Marco Island in August, it will be HOT HOT HOT!!! Hawaii is probably more temperate.

LAR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marco Island is a sleepy place and Maui is a dream paradise with activities, culture, natural beauty, etc. no comparison if flight duration is not a factor....

ral

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it would make a difference to your decision, but unless changes were recently made, there is a $90/week or $33/day charge (2 beach chairs and umbrella) or $7/day (individual chair only) for using chairs on the beach at the Marco Island Crystal Shores property. Since this beach has lots of whole and broken shells, a beach chair is needed if one wants to lie in comfort on the beach. We were told that the concession is not held by Marriott. One would have thought that Marriott would have simply included this in the HOA fees or arrived at some other way of providing complimentary beach chairs for Crystal Shores owners/guests.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Don't know if it would make a difference to your decision, but unless changes were recently made, there is a $90/week or $33/day charge (2 beach chairs and umbrella) or $7/day (individual chair only) for using chairs on the beach at the Marco Island Crystal Shores property. Since this beach has lots of whole and broken shells, a beach chair is needed if one wants to lie in comfort on the beach. We were told that the concession is not held by Marriott. One would have thought that Marriott would have simply included this in the HOA fees or arrived at some other way of providing complimentary beach chairs for Crystal Shores owners/guests.

I don't own at Crystal Shores, but I am one who does not believe in driving up everyones MF to appease a few people who will actually use the service. I don't know what the MF are at Crystal Shores, but I am sure they are not cheap. For most people who are buying there, I am sure they can afford it, but it should be their choice to pay for it if they want the service.

$90 isn't bad for a week if this is for two chairs and umbrella. At Ocean Pointe it is $20 a day when you pay for four or more days. So for a week it would be much more than $90.

kenny1975

TUG Member
Reaction score
Soob - My family and I are in Marco Island for vacationing at least twice a year (usually in spring and summer months).

In my opinion, I would head to Maui. I LOVE Marco - but you run the risk of hurricanes in August and the heat in the month of August is almost unbearable - and there's a daily risk of rain showers during that month.

If flight prices are the same - head to Maui!

...but if you end up going to Marco let me know and I'll give you a list of great restaurants as well as some fun activities...

Thanks!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... One would have thought that Marriott would have simply included this in the HOA fees or arrived at some other way of providing complimentary beach chairs for Crystal Shores owners/guests.

I don't own at Crystal Shores, but I am one who does not believe in driving up everyones MF to appease a few people who will actually use the service. ...

I agree, rental fees (for any "extras") should be on a pay-as-you-use basis and not included in the MF.

On Hilton Head the beach chairs rental concession is held by the town; the lifeguards set up/break down every day and collect the fees. I haven't been there yet this year to know the current fees. You can bring your own chairs, of course, but I'm guessing that Marriott and the lifeguards would stop you if they saw you dragging resort chairs onto the beach.

Maybe Marco Island has a similar situation?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Now to bring things back on topic :D , I too would choose Maui over Marco Island in August because of the weather. I've been in Florida during the second weeks of April and October when it was a sweltering 90's+ with humidity and did not enjoy it at all. Maybe those weeks we experienced severe heat waves? I don't know, but I wouldn't even chance an August week.

That said, we're heading to Marco Island for the first week of November and are looking forward to visiting the Everglades for the first time. All of the Hawaiian islands offer nature/eco activities, but I'm expecting that there will be plenty of that to do in the Marco area, too.

As others have said, flight times would also be a consideration. Our travel time from the east coast to Hawaii was enough that I wouldn't do a single-week trip there. Your travel time will be even more than ours was, won't it?

linmcginn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a week stay at Marriott Crystal shores. The resort is absolutely wonderful and the villas are awesome and the weather last week was gorgeous. The Marriott Crystal Shores in Marco Island would be my first choice BUT not in the summer months! As others have said it's very hot and humid and it is hurricane season. March, April May is a great time to go to Marco Island!