• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Guy - Disney Villas?

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I may in the wrong zip code here but I will ask anyway...[I'm a Timeshares] owner and I've got an RCI search on-going for one of the Disney villas [specifics deleted.] I don't expect to hear from them for a long time. Is this group somewhere a DVC owner and I could/would connect and then we could just trade HGVC for DVC ourselves? :ponder:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I moved your post to it's own thread, and deleted your specific date/resort, so your post would not be perceived as a virtual Ad.

In the TUG Marketplace (TUG Classifieds) we have a section where you can request private trades. The link for this area is in the red bar at the top of the page - Ads are free for TUG members.

That being said, you are probably trying to trade-up, so it may be hard to find a taker. DVC is one of the highest demand trades out there, it's expensive to own, and they are highly prized by their owners.

The best way to get a DVC exchange through RCI is to put in a very broad request (many dates) a year or 2 in advance.

If you are asking for one week in Feb. - especially President's week, or any school holiday, your chances are slim and none.

Another option is to rent your timeshare, and to apply the funds to a rental from a DVC owner, and rent exactly what you want.

Last edited:

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advice, Denise and thank you. My only saving grace could be that I have a ton of HGVC bonus points so I could offer 2 weeks in exchange for 1 or something of that nature. Thanks again!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Great advice, Denise and thank you. My only saving grace could be that I have a ton of HGVC bonus points so I could offer 2 weeks in exchange for 1 or something of that nature. Thanks again!

That might work!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

Be careful -- you will probably want to read the fine print for the use of those bonus points before try to use them for exchange with someone else as it may be against HGVC's rules to do so. You might want to double check w/ HGVC before you go down that path.

As for staying at Disney, we have found staying at one of the HGVC properties very convenient. The properties are great, and you don't have the hassle of trying to make an exchange into a Disney property.

Kurt

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is magic and pixie dust when staying onsite Disney. But you can get that magically feeling by staying 2 or 3 nights mid-week (say Sun-Tues or Tues thru Fri) ... After a couple of long days - EMH to EMH (start to close), then, move over to HGVC for a week will be fine. And I would buy an Disney annual pass for that year and a Tables-in-Wonderland card. AP gives you free Disney parking.

And getting just a few nights will be less expensive from a DVC owner -- lower points for non-weekend days. And get a small unit ... you will be way to busy from Sunrise to sunset. I usually can do 3 HARD Disney days before a pool afternoon and then I get picky about what parks & rides for the rest of the week.

Last edited:

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful -- you will probably want to read the fine print for the use of those bonus points before try to use them for exchange with someone else as it may be against HGVC's rules to do so. You might want to double check w/ HGVC before you go down that path.

As for staying at Disney, we have found staying at one of the HGVC properties very convenient. The properties are great, and you don't have the hassle of trying to make an exchange into a Disney property.

Kurt

Good call. Will defiantly read all the fine print. If they make me use them personally then I can book my travel with the bonus points and do the rentals/trades with my regular 2-weeks worth of points. Well, maybe I can. Thanks for pointing out that I need to educate myself.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I may in the wrong zip code here but I will ask anyway...[I'm a Timeshares] owner and I've got an RCI search on-going for one of the Disney villas [specifics deleted.] I don't expect to hear from them for a long time. Is this group somewhere a DVC owner and I could/would connect and then we could just trade HGVC for DVC ourselves? :ponder:

You are definitely in the right zip code but the gates are closed til you join our secret society. :D
May I suggest that you join TUG so that you will have access to the DVC sightings.

This forum is very active with Disney trading but you won't know it if you don't pay the $15 to play.
Trust me that it's money well spent if you want a DVC unit thru RCI. ;)
You've already paid a lot of money for your HGVC points so look at it as your GPS to Disney.

With HGVC you already have access to the RCI weeks and points inventory so there is no need to do a direct exchange.
You will have success in RCI if you are willing to be flexible in which Disney resort you will accept and you keep a heads up thru the sightings boards for when your dates are deposited.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
If an exchange into Disney Vacation Club doesn't work out through RCI for your dates, if I were you I'd do a split stay with some nights at Hilton's Parc Soleil in Orlando (fantastic resort) and maybe 3 or 4 nights onsite at Disney via cash discount code (check out Mousesavers.com for the latest cash codes) or rent DVC points through David's DVC points rentals: http://www.dvcrequest.com/ (I hear good things about renting DVC points through David's site).

Good luck. We own DVC points but we never trade them. We use all of them and wish we had more. :D

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This forum is very active with Disney trading but you won't know it if you don't pay the $15 to play.

I am a member - :cheer:. But it still says "guest" on here because I started here as a guest 6 months ago - :mad:. I have the same user name as "guest" and "member". Maybe a TUG admin person can combine my accounts so it shows as "member" all over the place.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To be recognized as a "member" you have to click on USER CP, and add the member code to your profile. For all the details, click on BBS HELP at the top of the forum, and scroll all the way down to the last link.

homeland

Reaction score
I just returned home from a DVC exchange via RCI. 1 bedroom villa at Disney Saratoga Resort for 4,000 Worldmark points. An absolute steal and I absolutely loved the place.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be able to book DVC through the HGVC/RCI portal for less than most DVC owners will pay for their MFs. It wouldn't be a good trade, but if you want to try that, you can post an ad on Mouseowners.com in the rent/trade board. I see people post often wanting to exchange for DVC, but it usually doesn't work out.

If you want a one bedroom DVC in any season, you only need 3400 HGVC points with RCI. If you want a 2 bedroom, you only need 4800 HGVC points. Trading for DVC is probably the only bargain you'll ever see using HGVC in RCI. It's worth doing the ongoing request.

If you are worried about bonus points expiring, you can mark your calendar to convert any leftovers to hhonors about a month before your bonus points expire. Those aren't a good value in general, but the bonus points were technically free and hhonors points won't expire.